Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Werewolf and Weredogwolf

Author Topic: Werewolf and Weredogwolf
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I came up with a story idea where the MC becomes a Werewolf, and takes his dog as his mate and turns her I into a Weredogwolf. I thought of this last night as I was trying to sleep and befor I took my sleeping pill (as needed) and wondered what you all think of the idea?

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Well in Terry Pratchett's Diskworld books Carrot Ironfoundersson vies for the affections of Captain Angua (a werewolf), with an actual wolf named...can't remember. Anyway the idea is that she has a suitor from both sides of her heritage.

I think the potential is there, but it will have to be very carefully presented to avoid the appearance of...man loves dog. Maybe if you show the dog is sentient too, and can communicate and emotionally bond with him as a werewolf.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought of that and thats why i asked.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II

Her becoming a werewolf could increase her intellegence, making her on the level of a blond...
Make it where there were some things he used to do to her that really ticked her off. Now she has the opportunity to complain about it, to hold it against him. Of course, since she was his dog, he has his master attitude still in place. He is dependant on her as she knows what it is like to be a dog, and has to help him survive. She depends on him because he is aware and intellegent enough to handle the changes and think through how to handle them. He also is teaching her how to be a more intellegent creature.
The love part of that story is where they get over their problems with each other and their new status to really come to like each other, to see each other as an equal.

Now if when they come out of their wereform, he becomes a human and she becomes a dog, that would also add to the problems with them. She might not be as loyal a dog since she now has seen him as a near equal.

Just throwing stuff on the wall to see what sticks.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Blond jokes... :sigh:

The other suggestion about changes in attitudes, etc due to an increase in intelligence, is a great idea. Think of it as a love story that changes from unconditional love (dog to master) to questioning love (woman to man).

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I must be dumb; I thought a werewolf dog was a dog that turned into a wolf (bigger, monster version, of course) each full moon. So the dog got simply became bigger and more voracious.

So it's not really a were-wolf dog...it's a dog were-man.

How do you turn a dog into a were-woman? The same bite that passes on wolfishness to a human passes on humanness to a dog? Does that mean every full moon he becomes a wolf and she turns into a lady? Man, they are going be frustrated...

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
like Lady-hawke
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
... when I hear "weredogwolf," the only thing I can think of is manbearpig. You might want to come up with another name, lest those of a like mind as me not be able to shake the idea that she is hunted by Al Gore, and is half were, half dog, half wolf.
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

People refuse to acknowledge the real danger posed by weredogwolf!
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
"I told you he was real!"
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

As you can see, it's not just me.

On the plus side, we can set up a royal rumble between weredogwolf, manbearpig, moosesnakebird, and Chuck Norris in an epic match for the nerd-soul of the series of tubes.

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

Incidentally, I am in no way saying that the story idea is a bad one. But you really should call that particular creature something other than weredogwolf, or you may be buried under a sea of painfully over-repeated internet memes. I'll resist the urge to RickRoll in this forum. Duke sucks.
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

As for how the man becomes a Werewolf, I was going to put it in reality. It is completely voluntary and only works that way so no one can turn you against your will. So the dog would have to have some type of intelligence before she becomes a Weredogwolf.

As for the Full Moon thing that’s just a myth, Werewolves change at will (unless they have had their powers revoked like me, damn the high council). The Full Moon is Holy to Werewolves for it is the physical embodiment of the Goddess, and she is blessing us.

I was envisioning the dog to look like a Werewolf when she changes and like her self when she is not in form. I was thinking German Shepherd Dog, from Captain Max von Stephanitz’s kennels or Golden Retriever from to Lord Tweedmouth’s kennels. Eather way she would be one hot Female Werewolf, (I would know for I am one myself but I am married and have been for 3000 years.)

Maybe it can take place somewhere in close in the feature were genetic engineers have figured out how to give non human animals intelligence so that can fix a few problems there. but still makes new ones.

I like the idea of having them have to depend on each other to cope and then form a closer relationship from that.

As for Manbearpig I thought I watched to much South Park. And I am being supper cereal.

And as much as I hate to admit it Chuck Norris will win. Remember he is god, if he could fight him self he would win. PERIOD.

Micmcd I don’t understand your last post there you lost me at “or you may be buried under a sea of painfully over-repeated internet memes”

RFW2nd

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
micmcd,

Man you crack me up! "It's not a big truck ... it's ... it's ... a series of tubes!"

Maybe you know another quote from our friend the senator, this one is frequently used on The Daily Show. "NO!"

And what does it say about me that I know what rick-rolling means?

Also if by "Duke sucks" you mean the school I'm with you on that too. (Tar Heels blood, you understand.)

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
What I wonder is since a dog is just a domesticated wolf, and a human is a domesticated monkey (give or take a few genes) would she be more civilized than the guy?

It would make sense for a werewolf to learn dog, and for him to know animal common. So if they can communicate that would reduce the ick factor. Just so long as as there isn't a man-dog scene this should work. You have an opportunity for an interesting relationship here.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CABaize
Member # 8032

- posted      Profile for CABaize   Email CABaize         Edit/Delete Post 
micmcd, "Duke sucks"... are you a fellow Farker? Or worse, a fellow TotalFarker?

Rommel, I like the concept. It sounds like something I'd pick up in a bookstore, if for no other reason than the novelty of the idea.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

Zero - Actually, I went to NCSU, so I wholeheartedly agree with "Duke sucks," but in the context of that post I was referring to the Fark meme.

CABaize - I'm a farker, but not a TFer (yet)... I still can't wrap my head around the concept of paying for stuff on the internets.

RFWII -- My only point with regards to the WereDogWolfManBearPigSnakeSharkEagleRaptor is that it seemed to jar my memory over to various memes that get repeated ad nauseum in certain circles and would put me out of the mindset in which I could take a story seriously. It's usually tough to do that sort of thing by accident, but if you're looking for a good list that doesn't require you to actually understand them, you could do worse than wikipedia's list. I think the problem is exacerbated by the fact that the creature name sounds kind of like a bunch of little words stuck together (because it is), and while that's common in German (so you could just call it a "Werhundwolf" (thanks, google translate... sadly werewolf -> Werwolf, but dog -> Hund), it doesn't sound right in English unless you are going for tech-speak. It kind of bleeds over to programmers b/c so much of what we see involves CamelCaseVariableNames, which leads to RealTime interpretation of TLAs and abominations like leetspeak/13375p34k.

[This message has been edited by micmcd (edited July 23, 2009).]

Natej11
Member # 8547

In Terry Pratchett books a werewolf is half wolf and half human and a dog is...half wolf and half human. So a werewolf is just a type of dog. Except one that can rip your throat out.

He actually has a funny segment about a poodle that goes nuts and is trying to be a wolf again, and is so crazy it's taking on rottweilers and the like.

Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Ok the problem I am having in this story is how the MC is going to become a Werewolf.

See the MC is well educated, he has a PHD in Physics, Chemistry, and Genetic Engineering. It’s the year 2090 and lots of things are possible due to technology, like his dog a Golden Retriever a show dog named Ch Lady Yellow Moon Night Flight, who has been genetically modified to have intelligence like humans and able to talk similar to a human.

I just cant figure out how he becomes a Werewolf. See if I do it how I became a Werewolf it would be voluntary, where he can become one when ever he wishes. (the only real way to become one) or should I go Hollywood and make it involuntary and do the fool moon thing.

RFW2nd

Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the main conflict of your novel? I mean, is he going to have to become a werewolf in order to solve this conflict (in which case it would be voluntary) or is being a werewolf part of the conflict (in which case it would be involuntary, regardless of whether or not you use fool moons, etc., etc.)
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

Well the conflict is he becomes a Werewolf, because he was cretin that they did not exist.

Then he takes his show dog as his wife.

That’s the only conflict I can think of. I am just writing out the outline, and haven’t figured out how its going to play out or even how its going to end.

RFW2nd

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.