Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » August 03, 2009 did You Write

Author Topic: August 03, 2009 did You Write
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
August 03, 2009 did You Write

This is the place to brag about your accomplishments, cry about your failures, and to otherwise tell about what is going on in your life.
Each week this prompt is to get you to write something, anything, during the week, so you can report that you are a productive member of society rather than an anchor, dragging the universe into the depths of despair. When you realize this note is coming up, open up some work, any work, old or new, and do something to it. Edit, it, take notes, write like mad, start something new.
What, is writing is up to opinion, and your opinion is what matters most. New writing is writing, of course. Editing, is also writing, since few if any of us can do anything perfectly first try. Poetry is also writing, along with Blogging, technical reports, writing assignments, world or character building as long as something gets on paper. Even E-mails can be writing if they are very wordy and pertain to writing. It is up to you.

I have been busy this week, but did get to get something on paper. On my rewrite of my BIRTH OF WAXY story, I got very close to the end, and sent it to my writing partner for her opinion. She did not see the main character of the main part of the story. He is not anything like what I am after. I decided I need to completely rewrite the beginning creating the character better. Yes, I know I should sit down and do a character creation session. Like my wood working, my painting, my photography and my writing. I would rather be actually working on the project, rather than setting up or practicing to get better.
Anyway, this weekend, I added two pages and 1158 words, There was a lot of editing involved in it. I decided that how the characters develop through the story will dictate exactly how I finish the ending. The previous editing helped it out a lot. I took it from two pages to 23 pages. I see a good 30+ pages by the time I am done.

On my story ideas, I did very good. I am even impressed. I have done better, one or two other months over the past ten years, but I did well.
I am caught up for the year for this date. Last month, I wrote 19 story ideas. This month I wrote 43 story ideas. That is 82 pages at 51489 words last month. They can be seen at http://www.xprodigy.net/board/ and drop down to Writer's Roost.
Including what I am posting tonight, I will have 41 story ideas in my compost pile. I am always surprised I am keeping up with the number, especially after the heavy writing I did last month.
This month will be more leisurely, an idea a day. I will, thought, work more on my Waxy dragon stories.

The rest of my life is rather mundane. Because of the writing and other activities, I have little or nothing to report. I have difficulty having a life and writing at the same time. One or the other has to give somewhere.

As to the question of the week,

YES, I DID WRITE

DID YOU WRITE?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did. Most of it was revisions to The Ignored Prophecy. But that included a few new scenes and some substantial additions to others.

I also began outlining the plot for what will probably end up being book three (untitled).

So, yes. I write, therefore I am a writer.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, a thousand times, yes. As I posted before, I got past a very bad bit of writer's block this week. I got about 3000 words written this week, plus a couple of pages edited (required to get past the writer's block). I think I'm set up for a fairly productive week, too. I just need to do some serious thinking about the next session first, which I'll probably get in tonight.

Heresy

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Symphonyofnames
Member # 8283

- posted      Profile for Symphonyofnames   Email Symphonyofnames         Edit/Delete Post 
A plot has arisen from a newly-created world, after much research on solar power and Argentina's economic collapse. Exciting to see things taking more of a shape. I should be able to start talking to the main character soon. All in all, a decent week.
Posts: 69 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
With theme, I crossed the Rubicon. I've discovered how theme unifies and intersects in story at every turn, from beginning to end; cause and discovery and reversal.

A themeless story risks being an And Plot. Something happens and something happens and something happens to no meaningful end.

A major, encompassing, unifying theme of the Potter franchise, intersecting in all the small pictures, each installment, and the big picture: loss of innocence. An orphaned boy is thrown out into the at times cruel, at times indifferent, at times supportive world to make his own way. His progress is a coming of age story. The message; adults don't have all the answers. Potter must discover them on his own. Rowling artfully portrays a profound insight into the human condition. Will the message have as profound an impact on society?

My favorite dramatic premise; a familiar stranger struggles to belong in an alienating and hostile society. Metafictive.
----
I work to live, live to read, make my living reading. I write so I might proactively contribute to the dialogue.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited August 03, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I wrote, submitted, queried, edited and critiqued.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
A little---my life-disruption from last week continued into this week, draining me of energy. (See a post elsewhere for details.) But I got a little done, and I've got a pretty good idea of how I want to edit down and rewrite the remainder...and I'm happy to think I can keep it about ten thousand words this time.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote another 500 words or so (a big deal for me). I also finished my second crit ever and read Characters and Viewpoints by OSC. So a lot of writing related work last week.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denem
Member # 8434

- posted      Profile for Denem   Email Denem         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been on vacation the past week, but today I resurrected a spark I had some time ago (tentively called 'The Owl Thief' - hope to post the first 13 soon) and am now starting to fill in some plot details and I am pretty excited with the direction its heading.
Over the next couple of days I hope to fill in much of the major plot and get into the milieu and fine tuning the details.

Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
/hug

I've lurked these forums on and off for ages but I haven't had anything to post about about. My writing got put on the back burner for a long while and my stories gathered some dust. But the past few months I've been watching these threads and thinking to myself, "Self, you need to write more". This week, I listened to myself! Thank you for these threads!

Edit: I suppose I should say I spent a good deal of time figuring out where I was and then picked up where I last left off. I'm in the plot-building process. I enjoy 'writing out loud' to myself in Q&A sessions until I get things worked out. So I typed out about 3000 words worth of plot goodness that's been on my mind.

[This message has been edited by RillSoji (edited August 07, 2009).]

Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
punahougirl84
Member # 1731

- posted      Profile for punahougirl84   Email punahougirl84         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been absent from here since having child number three. Mostly I've done NaNoWriMo, and done edits/critiques for others in my writing group. Now that the youngest is about to head to preschool, I'll have some time again!

And yes, I've written 5 pages on a new story inspired by the Jim Baen contest.

Getting back to Hatrack will be a part of getting my writing house in order.

So, Hi!

Lee

Posts: 465 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrote my usual flash. Started a new short story with a plot that interested me. Did some crits and received a bunch more. Just finished another story and may replace my WotF attempt with it.

Ready to pick up my too-short novel after a cooling off period tomorrow and see if I can get it finished by the end of the month.

I have written and will happily continue.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Aloha, Lee! Welcome back. It's great to see you again.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.