Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writing workshops, your experience

Author Topic: Writing workshops, your experience
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not yet attended a writing workshop and I am wondering what your experience has been.

I looked into Ann Crispin's workshop at DragonCon but discovered it too late. Maybe next year. Has anyone attended this? What did you think?

What about OSC's Boot Camp? When is that one announced and how would you rate it?

Any other workshops you think are worthwhile?

I would like to attend one or two really good ones within the next year. The length would have to be a maximum of two weeks. Though a few days to a week would be best.

Thanks for your input.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
I went to Uncle Orson's Writing class a few years ago when I first got interested in writing (2005). I thought it was good then, but I think I would benefit more from it now that I have some experience with writing.
One of these days when I get brave, have some money, and have some free time, I'm going to go for Boot Camp. If OSC is still doing them by then.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's Literary Boot Camp registration is usually announced early in the year, and it tends to alternate between the eastern half of the US and the western half.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Put it this way, a whole lot of successful writers consider OSC's boot camp to be a pivotal event in their career.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mommiller
Member # 3285

- posted      Profile for mommiller   Email mommiller         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done a number of the workshops at Context. This year our very own KDW will be leading one on the importance of the first 13...

I'd like to attend an OSC bootcamp though, or perhaps Viable Paradise.

Posts: 306 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been to several. Boot Camp was by far the most intense, the most practical, and the most enjoyable.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
mommiller (and future posters to this thread) - could you describe the con a bit more for those who aren't familiar with it? I've heard about it, considered it, but don't have the opportunity to attend this year.

I'd love to hear about other conferences that have writing-geared tracks (even the fan cons that have writer content) because I'm in search of a good writer's workshop or conference. Particularly one on the west coast so I can talk my two online writing buddies who live on the left coast into attending with me so we can meet in person!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mitchellworks
Member # 6779

- posted      Profile for mitchellworks   Email mitchellworks         Edit/Delete Post 
KayTi, Kris and Dean run theirs from Lincoln City, OR if you're interested:

http://deanwesleysmith.com/index.php/workshops/

I went to their June conference on the business of writing and found it fun and helpful.

As for craft, I'd highly recommend OSC boot camp. Really. I'm still digesting it a year later.

--Amber

Posts: 86 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.