Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » 08-17-09 Did You write?

Author Topic: 08-17-09 Did You write?
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
08-17-09 Did You write?

I hope you were able to find some time to write. I hope this note gave you the impetus to actually write when you were not intending to otherwise. This is a place to brag about your accomplishments or cry about your failures.

As to what is writing, is up to opinion. Writing something new is writing, but editing is also writing. Poetry, articles, writing assignments, blogging, are also writing. Character creating and world building are also writing, if one gets something on paper. E-mails can also be considered writing if they are very wordy and pertain to writing. Some of these definitions might not be writing to you, and some others not listed might be. If you think you wrote, say that you wrote.

As for me, I did write. I am editing, rewriting, My Waxy Dragon Birth story. I just noticed I don't have a title. I guess I will now be a Baron... sorry, could not help the funny. I had almost finished the story, and decided to go to the beginning and make the changes I really wanted to make. I am expanding the piece by adding descriptions and details I never add to my writing.
This week, I went from 15959 words to 17217 words. That is only 1258 words, two pages. I zapped a lot of what I had and did it differently. I think most of the words was in adding a new scene. All that work has been in rewriting the first six pages. I have a lot of pages to go on this.
One thing I am doing, is taking all the stuff I learned from all the sixty plus stories written about Waxy, and long hours of discussions with my writing partners. I am making this story with the overall universal consistency we worked out. I am also trying to give detailed definition of a character who is barely seen in most of the stories. I am character building, but as I write, not plotting it out.
I am trying to spend an hour a night to write on this, but that time does not always show up.

On the story ideas, I am still generally on schedule. I will have a little falling behind, but can catch up easily if I put my mind to it, as last month showed. I am still coming up with new concepts to add to my compost pile and post. It has slowed down a little, but keeping up anyway.
My compost pile, including tonight's story idea, is at 41 concepts.
I write most of my concepts on five by five pieces of paper and each new one on top the stack. They tend to also be the first ones I post. The less desirable a concept is, the deeper it sinks into the stack. I will dig into the stack for something usable, and just take out the better ones and put them on top the stack. In this process, like a compost pile, the poor concepts slowly sink to the bottom, eventually to decay into nothing. I have a baggy filled with 170 story ideas that might never see the computer screen. Of course, I should dig through them and see if there are any that catch my fancy... Not now though.

I am comfortable in my new computer now. I have some data transfers to do but no rush right now. I have a third computer to set up, an old 486/33. I have some programs I want to run and windows 90 or 2000 don't like the programs.
In my digging into a spare bedroom that has a permanent model railroad layout and is used for storage, I found out that I have a total of eleven computer monitors. I had ten, but this weekend, got a 19 inch monitor at a yard sale for five bucks. A button on the front is mashed in, but it is great. I accumulated the monitors one at a time, for various reasons, but have decided I need to make room. They will be donated after I pick out the best three of them.
The other week, I searched and searched for monitor extension cords or switch boxes, having to buy a new one. When I was in the storage room for something else, I found I had two extension cables, two switch boxes, one of which I had in my hand and thought it was for mice. dumb. I am going to empty out the room a little and see exactly what I have, consolidate it and get it into a better order. I have it, I just cannot find it.

for a possible story idea, you have someone who keeps anything that is still useable. It slowly accumulates over time. He used to be able to put his hands on everything, but now cannot find anything.
He was sort of stuck on the moon, never making enough to get a ticket off. that meant he could not get a ship of his own. He simply worked for a living and for fun, repairing machinery, and for fun, seeing things work that was not supposed to work.
One day, he needs to fix a piece of machinery and knows for a fact he has the parts somewhere. He goes into his storage room. He never finds the part he needs and has to go and buy it.
he starts digging out his parts seriously. He empties the room and starts sorting. Looking at what he has, he starts to assemble devices based on the parts he has. They are all old devices, but quite serviceable. Some mechanical, some electronic, some are sensors. He finds he has just a few pieces of machinery that need parts.
He goes out to his barn where he has parts for larger machinery. He goes through there the same way, assembling parts and machinery.
He realizes that most of this equipment can be used in a space ship. Out of curiosity, he lays out the equipment, which includes a nearly complete drive system. Most of the ship is there.
he then looks and finds he has most of the structural members and sheeting a ship would need.
The economy of the moon drops so he has little work coming in. He can spend time on his space ship project. What he does not know is h0w much he would need to buy.
Two years go by. He has the ship sitting there with all the equipment in place. He has even powered up the systems to see what he is missing. Digging through the remains of his parts, he finds he can make most of what is missing.
The economy has gotten worse. He receives word he is going to lose his house and business. He loads up his ship with all his belongings. He has it fueled up, which was hard as he kept purchasing canisters of fuel so no one would know what he was doing.
he has to buy a new space suit, all prepared for him. He gets into the suit, and takes the ship out and flies off, making all the traffic controllers and local officials angry at him, shouting charges against him over communications.
He gets into space and escape his old life forever.

AS to the question of the week,

YES I DID WRITE!!!

DID YOU WRITE?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Write? No, I cut. I have this story that was over 29,000 words long. I'm trying to cut it down to a tad under 17,000 so I can send it off to the WOTF next quarter.

I'm learning a lot about what really, really needs to be in the story. As I said somewhere else here -- I only THOUGHT my writing was lean!

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did.

I gave myself permission to play with a new idea that kept coming up and tugging on my sleeve. Well, over the weekend, I wrote over 8500 words.

I love it when it just flows like this.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I started a short story that is actually the origin story for a character in my novel. It is very intense writing and I have to be in the right frame to tackle it.

I also edited another short story before sending it out to IGMS.

That's all this week but I'm happy with what I've written.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Not much but significant.
Broke the back of a problem that has been slowing me down for some time now.

[This message has been edited by Andrew_McGown (edited August 18, 2009).]

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Writing? Not so much. But I did continue with my world-building for Stone Heart. I've been getting to know my main 3 characters, asking them questions and fairly patiently waiting for the answers, many of which have appropriately informed the story itself. It's shaping up quite well to be a fairly character-driven story. Part of me is eager to start writing it, but most of me knows I'm not ready for that yet, that it's just part of me that thinks I'm not being productive (which is wrong anyway). I don't know the ending yet, though I'm starting to get inklings, and I always find it hard to write a story with any direction or hope of getting to the end without that piece. I'm still happy, though, and waiting for that soft voice in my head to tell me it's time to start laying the whole thing out for readers. I'll get there. In the meantime, I'm going to keep asking questions of my world and my characters. I will be ready when the time is right.

Heresy

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I worked about three days---which pushed me to the end of my current thing. I created a new file, changed the title (which I may do again), and now it's on to revisions.

First I've got to revise and cut down the sex (which I know nothing about), and then work on some scattered information about the computers (which I also know nothing about). Then I've got to do all the other editing things I do---cutting down the adverbs, smoothing out the sentences, correcting the continuity, more...the usual.

In addition, I hope to cut it down to a nice-and-neat ten thousand words---which'll make it exactly half the length of either of my two my previous finished things. The shorter the better, these days.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denem
Member # 8434

- posted      Profile for Denem   Email Denem         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent my whole weekend painting my mother-in-law's kitchen. I got in a small amount of editing at about 2:30 in the morning. Not much in the way of actual writing though.
Posts: 128 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Meredith!

I wrote 4,000 words on my novel that needs a lot more content. It was a story line tacked on to the front of my first draft. The writing just sucked. So I erased most of it and restructured the entire beginning, sticking in a prologue and more characters and ended up with 6,000. I don't know do you take the net? (6,000-4,000) or are they additive (10,000)?

I wrote a flash and did some revisions plus worldbuilding for a challenge on another site.

So I did write. I've got to do a lot more. I want to get that novel finished by the end of next month in sufficient shape for a good solid edit.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited August 18, 2009).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent an entire 9.5-hour car ride bouncing world-building ideas off a relative until I had finally figured out what to do with an idea I've had sitting on the back shelf for years. Now I just need to write all that stuff down...
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote so much I thought I'd get sick of writing! And none of it had anything to do with my stories. >.< The last two weeks have been brutal with work and it'll be just as bad this weekend with BlizzCon coverage articles. I finished a 250(ish) word website traffic report, two full outlines for future projects (est. 2k words each), and worked on tons of misc stuff that I haven't finished yet.

I forgot to report last week I got an article published for IGN PC. Glee! http://pc.ign.com/articles/101/1012146p1.html

Hopefully next week I can report that I wrote for my story heh.

Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.