Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » -Darn! Telepathy and flashbacks

Author Topic: -Darn! Telepathy and flashbacks
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm struggling with a particularly dicey sequence in my current WIP or novel in progress. on how to deal with multiple flashbacks encased in one another.

If you haven't read my other posts, this might be tricky to follow:

There are 2 main characters: Jan and Ryan. The story synopsis runs something like this:

Ryan is a relatively ordinary human being who happens to work as a the only physician on a remote colony world. Ships and communications from outside come roughy only once every 6 months. In the opening, the second man Jan is delivered masquerading as cargo to Ryan in a form of suspended animation that is both experimental and risky. It turns out that he's a telepath and another doctor.

The opening part of the story deals with his arrival and the questions surrounding his arrival: Who is he and why is he there. And Jan accomodating himself to life on a remote and alien frontier world. Despite the lignering and serious questions as to why someone would got to such lengths to smuggle themselve to such a remote location, the colonists are so desperate for medical service and their stuck with him anyways that they put him to work for the 'good of the colony'.

I think its a natural place to begin 'cause of the intriguing mystery. But, It does mean that there is some back story that must be worked in at some point. Which leaves me with a quandry that I'm writing my way through right now. Having read all the cautions to new writers about abuse and misuse of flashbacks, I need some advise on how to handle a flashback within a flashback sequence... Or if I should even dare?

Backstory: Ryan has really met Jan before his arrival on the planet, but he doesn't remember it because at a prior point in his life (prior to the opening of the story) Jan was coerced into interrogating him and removing some of his memory. Ryan was then transferred to where he is now with no memory of having met Jan before or uncovering a smuggling ring of medical supplies which is why he became a victim of Jan's prying mind.

At some point Jan is going to have to come clean and I think give Ryan back his memory, to the extent which he is able, in order to explain himself. But he is reluctant for obvious reasons; it will impact their relationship. So I think it will be tempting for Jan to also use his telepathy (since you can't lie that way) to tell his side of the story (he was coerced) and he himself has been a victim of forces and people beyond his control.

Then, I need a reason why Jan came running to a man he interrogated and tortured for help what did he see in Ryan that made him think this person might help him even after what he's done to him, unless he had no one else to turn to?

Can I make the following flashback within a flash back thing work? My head has been swimming for a couple of days trying to plot it out...

What is actually happening: Jan is re-placing or re-instating Ryan's memory of...

-Jan entraping drugging and picking through...

-Ryan's memories of suspicious things he saw that led him to uncover a snuggling ring at the hospital on Niigata where he worked. During which...

-Ryan learns who to resist Jan's encroachment in his mind and uncovers a sequence of memories of Jan's that reveal how Jan has been victimized and manipulated by the people that created him his whole life. Although he is deeply offended by Jan's actions he understands and feels sorry for his torturer.

-The whole thing is closed by seeing the aftermath of the interrogation through Jan's eyes. Ryah passes out (from sheer overload I think) Jan finishes the interogation. And questions himself and his handlers (the people who control him) as to why he's done it such a terrible thing to an innocent man who actually felt sorry for him and might have helped him.

Kudos and choco to anyone who has actually been able to follow and finish this post... I get a little manic when I write like this. Sorry!

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.