Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Rude?

Author Topic: Rude?
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother, who lives in Exeter wants me to get a book signed by Anne McCaffrey at the WOTF evening in a couple of weeks. She is is favorite author. Anne is quite elderly and has traveled from Ireland to attend, likely staying with her son Todd who lives here.
Do you think it would be impertinent to ask this of her after the presentations? It is generally very informal with couches and chairs and refreshements and I have chatted with Fredrick Pohl and Kathy Wentworth in the past, however they were extremely receptive to chatting. There is indeed a great deal of book signing going on after, but it is the winning authors and illustrators signing personal copies of the latest WOTF anthology. I don't want to create embarressment by suddenly pulling a copy of her book out of my tux. I'm just unsure whether that would seem out of place or if authors like her expect people to do things like that. I might see if she's receptive to a little conversation and then just quietly ask. What do you think, would that be uncool? I love my brother but I don't want to be rude either.

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Polite conversation and a respectful request that shows honor to the author--it doesn't sound rude to me. But then I've never been to an event like this, so I don't know if there might be conventions of etiquette to follow.
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been, and I think your planned approach will be fine, tnwilz. The big names are invited to the WotF event in part so the new writers can mingle with them and exchange autographs.

Quietly asking for an autograph is often the only personal way a reader can thank an author, and unless the author is busy (in a private conversation, say), the only rude thing would be to interrupt.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the advice.

BTW, has anyone here read Anne's books? Are they considered YA? I started listening to "Dolphins of Pern" on audiobooks and maybe that was a bad place to start but it seemed somewhat... well it seems to lack a quest if that makes any sense. But the writing is good enough to pull you along anyway, I was just surprised for such a celebrated author. Probably a bad one to start with, I'm guessing, maybe more of a book for established Pern fans. My brother is telling me to start with Crystal Singer. Any opinions on her work?

Tracy

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I would call most of Anne McCaffrey's work crossover. It's suitable for YA--and some of them have very young protagonists. But there are some more adult themes, too.

The Crystal Singer series is pretty good--and less YA than some others. I actually forget, now, whether I read those or listened to them on audio books. They're not still on my shelves, so I must not have loved them.

She's probably best known for the Dragonriders of Pern series, which her son Todd is continuing. In my opinion, DRAGONSDAWN and ALL THE WEIRS OF PERN are the best of the series, although, technically it starts with DRAGONSFLIGHT.

If I remember correctly, there were a couple of novellas about the dolphins of Pern. Not the best of the stories, but nice little side notes if you were familiar with and loved the world.

I remember not being greatly impressed by the Acorna stories. A unicorn in space. Meh.

I did like both FREEDOM'S LANDING and its sequels, and the Petaybe series, starting with POWERS THAT BE. Those are closer to hard SF than Dragonriders.

Edited to add: Reading this post, I guess you could say I've read a fair amount of her work.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited August 22, 2009).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read ten of her Dragonriders novels. The Dolphins of Pern isn't one I've read. My husband, who introduced me to the series, gave Dolphins a mediocre review, so I haven't bothered.

Dragonsdawn is more sci-fi than the others, and my personal favorite. One problem with reading it first, though, is that it stands alone. The characters are long dead when the next novel starts.

The Harper Hall trilogy is geared toward the YA market, but I think the other Dragonriders books were written for adults.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
The Harper Hall trilogy is geared toward the YA market, but I think the other Dragonriders books were written for adults.

I'll agree with that assessment. Although I think there were some slightly adult themes touched on in the third DRAGONDRUMS.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I LOVE the Pern series! I think it's her best work. I also liked the "Doona" trilogy and am into the "Petaybee" books now. Anne McAffrey is one of my all time favorite authors though I couldn't get into the Acorna books. The MC is way too laid back for my taste and letting everyone else stand up for her. Not my cup-of-tea.

I guess I should add that my tastes lean toward "light" fiction instead of the more in-depth stuff.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
This is one of the series I introduced my kids to reading with. AMcCaffrey replied to a letter we sent her inviting us to visit her in Ireland which I thought was very sweet. I think she loves her fans and wouldn't mind being asked for a signature at all, if presented well.

Most of what she writes is very much for youth and most of it is not too objectionable. The first one, I forget the name, crossed over sexually what I thought appropriate, and she likes to be sure to present homosexuality as a perfectly viable alternative to heterosexuality. There is nothing graphic in all but the one Pern book (the first, also the weakest) and you can use it as a good place to start a dialogue with your kids about homosexuality if you like.

I read them all myself as a young person and I still read most of the dragon books which come out. Possibly why I am writing one now! I should send her another letter thanking her! Her Majesty's Dragon (Her? His?) is my all time favorite, though not really a YA book.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Her Majesty's Dragon (Her? His?) is my all time favorite, though not really a YA book.

HIS MAJESTY'S DRAGON is the first of the Temeraire books, by Naomi Novik, not by Anne McCaffrey. If it was, the later books would be better. I enjoyed HIS MAJESTY'S DRAGON, but the second book left me flat and I didn't read any further. But I've read most of the Pern books. I think I've read all of them by Anne McCaffrey, working alone. But not the ones with or by her son, Todd.

SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
You should keep reading. I think the fourth book was very good also (Novik's) though not quite as good as the first. The second one I agree was not as good. I liked it all right but it was a little too grim. I think it was the fourth one. I liked the third one a lot, too. No, Noviks are not for youth. Just for us youthfuls.
Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.