Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » about Swain and Bickham's ideas and emotion

Author Topic: about Swain and Bickham's ideas and emotion
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
I’m reading another new book on Plotting – THE ART OF PLOTTING by Linda Cowgill. On page 16 she's talking about the JAWS movies but I'm wondering if she hasn't hit on the real problem with the STAR WARS movies.

Page 16-

One of the reasons the first [Jaws but it could be true of the first two STAR WARS] works so well, and the others don't, is because of its attention to how the conflict affects the characters.

I don’t think she’s talking about long internalizations that we novelists short story writers are so often putting in to explain things and feelings and even motives. She’s talking about screenwriting where, unless you have voice overs, that doesn’t happen. She is talking about scenes large and small that are active and which the audience watches and draws their own conclusions. Oh, he really DID love her! or That snake! He was lying the whole time!

Cowgill’s example from JAWS (which I have not seen so her example will probably make more sense to those of you who have) .

It’s when in the first act everyone thinks they’ve killed the shark and is happy. A woman confronts the sheriff, who is happy and reminds him that her son is still dead [I assume from the shark attack]. He takes responsibility for the death even though he fought hard to close the beaches. He goes home and is morose. Then his young son imitates him trying to get his father’s attention. In the end he leans close to the boy and says, “Give me a kiss.” The boy asks why and the sheriff says, “Because I need it.”

See? It isn’t a told bit of information, but shown. Dramatized. And all the more moving for being given to the audience that way. I think in many cases this technique will work for written stories, too.

What do you think? Can you see this being something that was present in the first two filmed STAR WARS movies but missing in all the following ones?

Does this fit in with and strengthen Bickham’s and Swain’s idea of “sequel” along with “scene” in stories?

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
That scene in Jaws does work, and it makes you feel for Brody, and your point still stands, but...

It wasn't written. That was done on the spot as an ad-lib by Scheider and the kid.

I haven't read the plotting book, but the reason Jaws works is 'cause of the characters. We're invested in what they're trying to do (and I'd go so far as to say that the movie is better than the book). Star Wars...I'm going to get in trouble, I guess, but the ONLY good one was Empire Strikes Back. Precisely because of the conflict with ALL the characters.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

rich said -- That was done on the spot as an ad-lib by Scheider and the kid

I suppose it doesn't matter how it got in the movie (movies being such a committee product), just that it proves Cowgill's assertion.

and rich also said -- the ONLY good one was Empire Strikes Back. Precisely because of the conflict with ALL the characters.

But how was the "conflict with ALL the characters" different in THAT movie from with them in the other movies?
If you/we can distill that out, we might learn something important/

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Jaws and Star Wars both, I identified with the ensemble groups, not a single character. Though Jaws the movie does focus more on Brody than the novel. I liked the novel more. Star Wars, I like the movies more than the novelizations. I think that's because the novels miss the group dynamics of the movies. Anyway, if there's a character who I associated with in episodes four through six, it's Harrison Ford's Hans Solo. My meaning space orientation changed, though, after episodes one through three. It all came together for me after episode three, installment six.

Empathy/sympathy a part of tension for its contribution to resonance, what most matters to me as audience is what I orient on in stories that matters most. The shark in Jaws is an ideal of mass hysteria, the community's terror is the group as a single entity to empathize with. I don't have a fear of sharks, per se, though, so the Jaws story is more of a metaphor for me than a literal terror.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not totally up on the entire Star Wars saga, but an interesting aspect of the first one is that the character cast is comprised by a number of straightforward archetypes (in some archetype cataloging schemes: protagonist, antagonist, contagonist, sidekick, skeptic, mentor, emotion, reason, etc.), none of whom were terribly complex in their make-up or role. The first complex character development/appearance I recall is when Darth Vader is revealed as Luke's father (second or third chronological film).

So it's perfectly setup for a story that can be told without delving too deep into the internal workings of the characters. I can't say too much about what happened later because they lost me when they put teddy bears on airborn scooters, nor the book you mention.

The film version of Jaws also has a set of fairly clean character types. I read the novel so long ago that I don't remember much about it.

The tendency for show vs. tell in modern written fiction is often argued to be the result of influence from the arrival of movies. You don't have the advantage of a true picture in written fiction, nor music (and don't discount the role of music in establishing mood and emotion in films). What you have instead is the ability to tell the story from inside a character (or characters), which is pretty clunky in film.

The internal workings of a character can be "shown" or "told", the same as anything else in a story, so drawing on them doesn't violate the show vs tell characteristic. But it is something a fiction writer can readily show where a film producer is pretty constrained.

[This message has been edited by dee_boncci (edited October 08, 2009).]

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I found what you said interesting, dee. If I can summarize in what I understood - the stories Jaws and Star Wars (IV: A New Hope, at least for the most part) feature somewhat straightforward archetypes performing in their standard roles.

Yet both are compelling stories that have reached millions of people.

Hmm. We so often worry that without compelling characters, our stories won't go anywhere. Is this a difference between screen and page writing? That you can put an archetypal character on screen and still tell a good story, but you can't do it in written fiction? Or can you?

To further one of your points, to do so in written fiction would be to squander the greatest opportunity we have in writing for the page versus the screen, and that is that psychic access - we get to get into the heads of the characters and show what's going on inside. Movies that try to do this usually fail, or are art-house small pictures that don't reach mass audiences the way classic stories like Jaws or Star Wars (there are many others, these are just a few.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, as I said, it does prove the point, but I guess I was just saying is that it didn't come consciously from the writer. I also feel that they put it in the movie 'cause it needed a "beat", and it was kind of funny.

I guess my main point is that we seem to be using movies instead of written works to assess how conflict affects characters. Maybe it doesn't matter, it's just that, as you said, arriki, moves are made by committee (for the most part).

As far as the Star Wars stuff goes, that's just my opinion. I come by that opinion 'cause I think Star Wars was juvenile crap that got worse the more I thought about it/watched it. Empire was better because there was a dynamic that had more to do with them being "real" people as opposed to archetypes (as dee mentioned). Han Solo and Princess Leia are trying to ignore their attraction to each other; Vader says he's Luke's daddy; Luke is trying to overcome his own fears/anger and become a Jedi. It's just a more rounded film.

I just caught KayTi's comments...

I don't think writing compelling characters is that much different from screen to novel, except that novels (as you said) allow us greater access to the characters' thoughts/backstory.

However, I do think that archetypes are employed in novels all the time. Check anything by Grisham or Dan Brown. Especially Dan Brown (at least Grisham makes an attempt to go beyond archetypes).

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Character genre was at one time all the rage. There was a brief era when it was widely deprecated, then a renewal came along. It's still going strong. Character genre relies on stock characters and arcehtypes in supporting or accessory roles, sometimes for focal characters who are elaborated into larger than life everyman/woman characters. Group entities as a focal character is a relatively new evolution mostly seen in historical drama, a la James Michener. It's also exceedingly popular in screenplays, especially situation comedies. Gustave Flaubert's Madame Bovary (1856), credited with introducing free indirect discourse is also credited with introducing groups as representative individual character entities.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi KayTi!

No, I don't think it's necessarily divided between the screen and the page. Most of the archetypes have their origins in written stories, and have been transposed to the screen.

I think the early Harry Potter books were generally populated with characters that were archetypical, starting with an orphaned hero introduced into his real role in life after a prolonged fostering.

Maybe it's more of a function of the type of story and type of audience. Much is targeted at the 10-15 year old demographic, and I think the widest swath of that group will still respond most readily to purer character types. Young readers were clearly the target audience at the onset for Harry Potter, and probably the first released Star Wars films too. As Harry and his core audience grew older, the characters and story became more complex. I haven't followed the new Star Wars films, but it seems to have happened there as well.

Maybe you could generalize that a swashbuckling adventure tale might do better on the screen, and a story of growth and discovery centered around a single character like Harry Potter might work better in writing (for the internal perspective) when both are populated with archetyical casts. Dunno. Maybe it's how much the story requires witnessing the internal workings of the characters for completeness, or who you are telling the story for. Fun things to think about anyway!

There will probably always be room in the world for a simple old fashioned good-guys-versus-bad-guys story, and when one is done well, it's apt to find a wide audience. There's a reason the archetypes evolved--because they work, and they keep finding new guises under which to appear, another millieu, another idea, new generations--something to cast a fresh light onto those core story elements that have so long resonated with the human audience.

[This message has been edited by dee_boncci (edited October 08, 2009).]

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

What I think Cowgill was trying to get across is that there is a difference between the first JAWS movie and the sequels. And I feel/wonder if that isn't also true of the STAR WARS movies with the first two being #4 and 5 in the series.

I know that I loved those two, was very disappointed in #6 and only saw 1,2,and 3 out of some sense of wanting completeness, not expecting the same depth of experience as with 4 and 5, hoping for it, but disappointed by the films.

I remember rumours that Lucas was himself at a loss as to why the last four were less good. Also, I heard that Leigh Brackett was behind the stories of 4 and 5 but died before 6.

So, what I'm trying to do is figure out in a more concrete way what Cowgill means and if that is what happened with STAR WARS, too.

Were there fewer emotional moments like the sheriff and his son in the subsequent JAWS movies?
What moments in SW 4 and 5 were like that and were not seen in the rest of the SW movies?

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited October 08, 2009).]

extrinsic
Member # 8019

Like with any endeavor, passion flags. Attention to the finer detail wanes. Novel series suffer from it too. Audiences lose passion too. Sales figures for Potter novels show that the first installment was most popular, the subsequent ones declined in volume.
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm. I thought archetypes were larger than life. It sounds like people here are using the term synonymously with stereotype.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Stereotype, archetype, stock character; synonymous with shades of different meanings, positive, neutral, or negative connotations.
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I think both the Jaws sequels focused too much on special effects and action and not enough on character development.

In the Star Wars prequels there were moments of character development (similar to Brody kissing his boy), but they felt forced. They didn't naturally come from the story line; it felt like the writers just stopped the story for a character moment.

The best example I can think of is looking at the developing romantic relationship between Han and Leia in comparison with Anikan and Padema.

The relationship moments between Han and Leia also advanced the plot. Their personalities clashed when Han and Leia first met with Leia taking over her own rescue (clashing personalities is classic romance). Their first kiss is when they are fixing the ship while being pursued by the empire. She tells him that she loves him when Darth Vadar is about to flash freeze him. All of these character and relationship building moments occur naturally within the story.

With Anikin and Padama the plot stops cold so that they can have romantic moments. I know that Anikin was hiding Padama away from the assasins, but it is not like in the "Empire Strikes Back" where the threat continues. All tension is taken away while they frolic in the meadow and eat dinner together. The character and relationship development does not work because these scenes don't flow naturally with the story. The pause in the story line is jarring and makes the audience uncomfortable and prevents them from accepting what the scene is forcing on them.

More creative story telling could have shown Anikin and Padama falling in love while keeping the tension and building the plot.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

MAP, I think you've hit the point Cowgill was trying to, for me at least. Thanks.

If I still don't have it completely, at least I feel I'm closer. Being able express the problem - for me - is halfway to solving it.

extrinsic
Member # 8019

A lot of Star Wars movies' appeal is spectacle. The spectacle genre has been around for thousands of years. Spectacle waxes and wanes, currently waxing very popular. Audio-visual spectacles appeal on a conscious and gut level, but entertain by overwhelming with eye blinks and aural equivalents. Plot and character are secondary emphases to spectacle in the genre. Kind of like candy floss, there's an immediate palate appeasement followed by a sugar rush.

For me though, there's a lot of subtext in Star Wars that is readily overlooked. Anikin-Vader, Jedi knighthood, Sidious-Palpatine are constants throughout the movies. The figurative story arc by episode number rather than installment release number basically follows the conflict between Vader and Sidious manifesting corruptable good and absolute evil. Vader's descent into evil, then accendency to redemption places him in my interpretation as the protagonist of the larger story. However, if moviegoers had seen the movies by episode order, large disappointment would have followed in episode three's wake. The hero corrupted in episode three, moviegoers wouldn't have supported the following fourth, fifth, and sixth episode movies. Sympathy for the devil is a hard sell.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.