Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Sense of Accomplishment!

Author Topic: Sense of Accomplishment!
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
I've never actually finished anything longer than a long short story before. And I tend to write long, so that means I rarely finished anything I start writing.

I'm working on a novel now. Its about 120 pages single spaced.

I try to set small goals to keep motivated. I've been working on a huge chunk of backstory that has to go in there someplace (yes, I know I'm starting the story in the right place, I debated that in another post a couple months back).

This piece has its own subplot that's very important. In addition there is a lot of carefully disguised info dumping going on, a lot of technical medical stuff and procedures that required hours of research on the net, and creativity for the rest since its SF set in a distant future.

It's been my goal to get this backstory segment done.

...As of five minutes ago its done! All the pieces fell into place. The plot strings all tied themselves together in neat knots ready to resume the present timeline, the characters all got themselves where they needed to be, -and I'm just tickled with a great sense of accomplishment.

Just wanted to share. Anyone have similar feelings recently?

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I know what you are going through. I had an epic fantasy novel I had been plotting/crafting for years. When I actually set down to start writing it, I came up with roadblock after roadblock. I think I was trying to bite off more than I could chew for a first time writer. I read voraciously about writing techniques, attended a conference, etc, all in attempts to put my skill set to match the story I had in my mind's eye.

Anyways, in the midst of struggling over a plot twist I knew I wanted but couldn't unravel, I had an inspiration for what is essentially a prequel to the work. I wrote 10,000 in words in about 2 weeks, so easily did the ideas flow. I'm now up to 16,000 words and moving at a more regular pace, but I now know what it is like to overcome what had previously been a major hurdle.

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.