Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What if Memento Publication

Author Topic: What if Memento Publication
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious, given an offer to be included in a POD memento publication, would there be interest by Hatrack members to submit short stories?

Scenario: 6" x 9" perfect bound U.S. trade paperback, one-piece color cover, black and white interior, no interior illustrations, 148 pages total, 8 pages front and back matter, 140 pages body text, roughly 50,000 words total, say ten 5,000-word short stories. ISBN and anthology copyright registration, listing in Bowker's Books in Print. Cover price about $9.00 each available from Lulu.com, probably U.S. Amazon, and perhaps Barnes and Noble online. No creator revenue (me as project editor) or author payment. Purely a memento publication, sort of a vanity publication, but with no purchase requirement or other author commitments beyond submission, editorial correspondence, and final submission proof approval. This would consume first U.S. anthology rights for included short stories.

If I'm inclined to do this, it would consume about 80 hours of my spare time, take about two months from submissions receipt to release, about another six to eight weeks before listing on Amazon, and $50 in out of pocket expenses.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Koren_Pierce
Member # 8853

- posted      Profile for Koren_Pierce   Email Koren_Pierce         Edit/Delete Post 
I would be interested in this. I had actually considered this route for myself - putting together my short stories, poems, sketches, etc. purely for myself.
Posts: 4 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you define this publication's definition of "short"?
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Roughly 5,000 words or so. I don't know absolutely, that's a talking point. What if.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, no. I am not sure quite what the point of such a venture would be.

I'm slowly loading my published stories to AnthologyBuilder which will give me the opportunity to put together my own collection (though I'll have to pay for the privelege so I suppose that's vanity publishing - but then, once an anthology has been put together, other peopple can choose to buy it there, so who knows?).

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

AnthologyBuilder is something entirely different than the outlined hypothetical. Basically, this is a what if for first time publication in a hypothetical nonprofit hard copy anthology that would be available for a keepsake, purchasable through Lulu.com and probably Amazon and Barnes and Noble online. Copies could be purchased and given to acquaintances and family, etc., as keepsakes. Nothing more, nothing less, other than the experience and rewards therefrom.
SavantIdiot
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for SavantIdiot   Email SavantIdiot         Edit/Delete Post 
You know, you might get more interest from those of us starting out. It sounds like a fabulous learning experience. The problem being that a) you may not want our offerings and b) if mine is c**p I don't it published at all. So how would you manage it? Plan on publishing ten, fifteen or so and then selecting the ones that work?
Posts: 168 | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

Those are all talking points for discussion. I'm not dictating a process, just exploring opinions. Simply put, I've published a number of chapbooks for emerging writers and there's a self-gratification in having one's work in publication format to share with acquiantances and family. There's a sentimental feeling to a book that's nothing like a manuscript.
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
If there seems to be some interest in it, Hatrack could hold a contest for story submissions. That way, everybody has a stake in the book: either writers or judges.
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architectus
Member # 8809

- posted      Profile for Architectus   Email Architectus         Edit/Delete Post 
createspace is better than lulu.com

They are better at getting your book on Amazon, and much faster about it.

Posts: 161 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

CreateSpace is what it is. I'm not impressed. They don't offer many features that Lulu does offer. Like listing at other online booksellers, independent ISBN. Besides, this is a bust anyway. With one exception, no discussion on topic, just the inevitable fault finding for fault finding's sake.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited October 26, 2009).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.