Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Boot Camp 2010

Author Topic: Boot Camp 2010
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Great news on the TWO boot camps for 2010. Anyone planning on applying? I am looking forward to submitting an application for either location.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be giving it a shot. I'll go to the two day seminar regardless. Utah here I come.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I would love to go to either. I used to live in Virginia and have never been to Utah so both would be great.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
There are only 14 spots available for the boot camps? How hard is it to get in?

Even if I somehow got accepted, I don't think I could escape from my family for a whole week. But the two day seminar sounds fun.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Huzzah! I am applying today!

... wait. They haven't posted application rules yet...

And I suppose I should start a short story to have ready for my application, huh?

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Is that how you get in? With a short story audition?

I'm interested in the Utah version... I guess we will have to surf the net with bated breath until the details array themselves on the OSC Boot Camp 2010 info page.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Here are the requirements for previous years as found by google:
-----------------------------------------
August 3-8, 2009 CLOSED
$725.00
Literary Boot Camp
Literary Boot Camp is open only to writers -- college-aged and older -- who are serious about professional level work. Following the two-day Writing Class, the Boot Camp writers go on with four intense days of creating and critiquing new stories developed at the beginning of the week - all under the leadership of noted author Orson Scott Card.

Enrollment for Literary Boot Camp is limited to no more than 15 participants and is by application only. Those who wish to attend must register with a $175 deposit and submit the FIRST PAGE ONLY of a short story. Prompt application is advised. Tuition does not include housing or meals. The deadline for submitting writing samples is June 5, 2009; you will be notified whether or not you have been accepted by June 12. The remaining balance of $550 will be due by July 1. Those not accepted to Boot Camp will have the choice of either applying their $175 deposit to the two-day Writing Class or having their deposit refunded.

Note to Boot Camp Participants: You must bring a laptop computer with you to Boot Camp. If you don't own one, please make arrangements to buy, rent, or borrow one that is running a recent version of Windows or Mac OS. Printers will be available.
------------------------
Meal and housing look like they run a couple hundred more

Teraen
Member # 8612

If any other Hatrackerites interested could just go ahead and not apply this year, so as to decrease the competition for the likes of me, that would be great. Thanks alot!
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a lot of good info on past boot camps, if you search for boot camp in the open discussions about writing forum. Some people have even blogged about their experiences and it makes for a good read.

I don't know the numbers about how hard it is to get in, but last summer OSC said that he had enough applications he would have liked to accept to fill two boot camps - and that was after having accepted 17.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thayeller
Member # 8745

- posted      Profile for thayeller           Edit/Delete Post 
The Utah one is actually possible for me location wise. hmmm...
Posts: 42 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
If you can go, then apply. If you get in, you will never regret going. '05 Alum.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
I was very happy to see there would be two boot camps. Maybe I'll get a story ready now.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thayeller
Member # 8745

- posted      Profile for thayeller           Edit/Delete Post 
Difference between Writing Class and Bootcamp? Cost and cap?
Posts: 42 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Writing class is much cheaper. You'll get a lot of really good stuff out it and it's very worthwhile, if you don't make it into boot camp.

Boot camp is... well, like a boot camp. You'll meet a ton of talented people and by the end of it you'll probably be operating at a whole new level than where you started. OSC is an absolutely brilliant critiquer.

A lot of people have talked about their experiences in this forum (do a quick search and they'll all pop up) and Eric James Stone has his boot camp entry and notes from up on his website.

http://www.ericjamesstone.com/writing/osc_boot_camp_sample.html
http://www.ericjamesstone.com/writing/osc_boot_camp.html

I can't find the link to anyone who's blogged about it (no time to search the forums tonight), though I know it's there somewhere. Anyone who finds it want to post it here for others to see?

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

Wow wow wowowow... Is it open yet? No.. Shucks...
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link from when I went in 2006. If you click through you'll see that I blogged the entire week. I had a great time--can't recommend it enough.

http://www.jamieford.com/bittersweet-blog/2006/6/12/uncle-orsons-literary-boot-campsunday.html

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, Jamie. An interesting account of an intense experience. I'm looking forward to applying (although my wife isn't so thrilled.)

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys do know the header on this says "book camp," and not "boot camp," don't you?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

Lol, I just noticed.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Me, too. I'll go fix it.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was cute that way.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, well. Can't please everyone.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

Thank you...that typo was driving me crazy...I was so excited when the dates were posted I didnt notice the header until I fired off the post.
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll be trying to go. I live about ninety miles north of the Utah bootcamp, so there's no reason not to.
Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

I was briefly in Utah yesterday during a layover at the Salt Lake City airport and got excited all over again about the boot camp.

I wonder if we will be able to apply to both or if we have to choose one or the other?

steffenwolf
Member # 8250

- posted      Profile for steffenwolf           Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'm going to apply this year too. I'd love to make it in. It has an amazing reputation.

I'd really like to apply to Clarion some time too, but there's no way I could swing 6 weeks off of work.

Posts: 299 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Someday...
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.