Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Good Magazines

Author Topic: Good Magazines
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to subscribe to a short story anthology/magazine. I'm considering F&SF. Does anyone know any good ones? I want something with, oddly enough, fantasy and science fiction short stories... since that is what I write.

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
F&SF
Analog
Asimov's Science Fiction
Space and Time

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

Is there any reason one of those would be preferable to another? It seems F&SF is the only one that allows writing besides SciFi... Is there any difference as to the quality of writing in each?
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure how long Space and Time will last, but the other three are mainstays. Asimovs and Analog are published by the same company. Someone else should probably speak to each about submissions, as I have not submitted to them yet.

Check out more on your own at
www.analogsf.com
www.asimovs.com

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
The only ones I subscribe to on a monthly basis are Asimov's and IGMS. I get Polluto quarterly. Others I pick up here and there when it seems that there is something I may be interested in, but I do read alot online...I read at least one short story a day last year. Now I am down to a few a week.

I also very much enjoy EscapePod, PseudoPod, PodCaastle, and SteamPod. It is very convinient for me to download them and listen to them in the car or while I am doing mundane housework like washing the dishes. The best part is that they are free.

Sorry to ramble but I just wanted to interject how important it is to read lots of short stories when you are trying to write them. It teaches you alot and shows you what editors are buying.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
All that's published online and accessible for free in the fantasty and science fiction genres at Free Speculative Fiction Online.

http://www.freesfonline.de/index.html

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Also Realms of Fantasy - but that's fantasy only
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Analog, Asimov's, and F & SF are my three mainstays...not that I wouldn't submit beyond them, just that in this phase of my career I rarely do. Nearly everything I've turned out lately is SF (by my standards), so that let out Realms of Fantasy, at least in its previous incarnation. (Whatever happened to the recent incarnation of Weird Tales?)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone read Clarkesworld?
Interzone?
Abyss and Apex?
Fantasy?

Those are some of the magazines I hear often-published writer friends sub'ing to.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to subscribe to Fantasy magazine, all the stuff is right there...I think Clarksworld's stuff is availble free too. Theres loads of free magazine of all types and levels online.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
This is the only subscription that I actually have. Two years running.

http://www.onspec.ca/

Now if I could only get published by them...

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starweaver
Member # 8490

- posted      Profile for Starweaver           Edit/Delete Post 
I subscribe to F&SF, Asimov's, Analog, Realms of Fantasy, and regularly dip into IGMS, Clarkesworld, Fantasy, and Beneath Ceaseless Skies on line.

My impressions:

Analog is strictly sf; the science component must be important and handled believably.

Asimov's does sf and near-fantasy; entertaining and varied.

F&SF publishes mostly fantasy, and a fair amount of it I would describe as being on the "literary" end of the genre. Sometimes I'm not even sure what the fantasy element is supposed to be. There's some very good stories here, but also some that that don't do much for me.

Realms of Fantasy publishes fantasy of different times, including more of the secondary-world type fantasy I like.

IGMS does both fantasy and sf, and there's seldom anything overly self-conscious here; it's all easy to read. I occasionally trip onto something that seems a bit amateurish, though.

Clarkesworld is high quality; the stories are on the short side. Somewhere between F&SF and Realms of Fantasy in taste.

Fantasy Magazine I find (frankly) somewhat self-conscious and occasionally pretentious. I find most of their things more "experimental" than "engaging".

Beneath Ceaseless Skies publishes solid, readable secondary-world fantasy. I enjoy it quite a bit, although they are a new market and not everything there appeals.

For someone interested in both fantasy and science fiction, I'd recommend Asimov's, and then also shop around for a fantasy magazine that suits your taste.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

starweaver, if only you'd posted sooner! I went ahead and ordered F&SF because it seemed the best that had both genres... Oh well...
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Starweaver, can you give an opinion on where contemporary fantasy fits into the magazines? I am guessing second-world type of fantasy that you reference is more "other environment where magic holds a place in society." Things like Guy Gavriel Kay's Tigana, or Ursula Le Guin's Wizard of Earthsea?

Since I read and write less in that genre, I wanted to understand first what you mean about second-world fantasy, but then also see your thoughts (or anyone's! I'm sure most people here are more well-read in fantasy than I am) about positioning of contemporary fantasy. That's a fantasy story set in some kind of current-day setting. Things like magic, fairies, etc. but in NYC or rural Ohio or coastal England, etc.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I do have a simple rule for finding new markets...if I can find a copy of a magazine on the newsstands, here or in my twice-yearly travels, I'll consider it as a market. (Yes, I know this excludes the online stuff, but that's not what I'm driving for...)

Lately, however, I haven't seen anything but Asimov's, F & SF, and Analog, which I subscribe to, and Realms of Fantasy, which I don't.

Also...if what I were writing came in fairly short---it doesn't, lately---but if it did, say two-to-three thousand words, I might consider some of the skin magazines, Playboy, Penthouse, or whatever. I haven't submitted anything to any of them in a while...I don't know what their current submission policies are (or who's being published).

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starweaver
Member # 8490

- posted      Profile for Starweaver           Edit/Delete Post 
KayTi,

F&SF is a good place for contemporary fantasy. It seems like Realms of Fantasy often has at least one such story as well.

Posts: 52 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.