Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Spray paint in space?

Author Topic: Spray paint in space?
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
If someone were going to paint the outside of a spaceship using spray paint, how would it work?

The propellent is contained within the can so I don't know if the lack of gravity would have that much effect. Or would it?

What about temperature? Could the can be wrapped in an insulator to make sure the paint doesn't freeze?

Would there need to be a funnel or cone leading from the top of the can to the surface being painted that contained a more normal environment?

Future tech can be used to make this viable. I'm just having trouble figuring out how the paint would actually act in open space.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure but I suspect that you would have to research static as I am sure that would affect the way the paint would adhere.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I think if you try to spray paint in space, the paint would simply form circular lumps that would bounce away from the metal like little balls.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
The best way to do it is to apply a charge to the panel being painted, and an opposite charge to the paint. when you spray, it will be attracted and lock in. This is known as Electro Static Painting. It is used on cars all the time. Very little overspray.
The one doing the spraying would need to be teathered, or using control jets as whatever pressure the paint goes out, it will push him the opposite direction.

The composition of the paint will be a problem. Most paints dry by evaporation. that does not work well without gravity if I understand right. It will diffuse out of the paint but will linger as a cloud around the ship.

One idea is to use a hot melt system where a sheet is laid over the panel or panels, and then a heat source is applied to the sheet, melting it to the surface.

Aother method would be applying sheets that are the paint. They "glue" on as the surface coating.

Something that could be done is to apply a skin, a baggy, over the surface, gluing it along the edges. The area is then "flooded" with color under pressure, whther filling it full of liquid or filling it with a gas or spray. It is kept on until the surface coating density is achieved, then the rest of the material is drawn out. Pressure might be applied at one end and a vaccume is applied at the other and it draws out the remains so the skin can be removed.

Don't forget the possiblitiy that a panal might be removed, painted inside, then reapplied. there might be replacement panels so they simply are swapped at the moment so the interior of the ship is not exposed for very long.

Ah, I just thought of something as I was about to sign out. One can use rollers or sponges to paint the surface. The paint does not transfer without physical contact. Usually thick paint does not splatter and physical application is necessary, so one can avoid the worst of flying splatters.

Of course, you asked about spray painting.

Applying a pressurized spray booth on the surface of the ship and the operator sprays the suface with a good filtering system to remove excess paint spray might work.

Of course, if you want the literal spray painting the ship, the electrostatic method of painting would work best.

If anything here comes close to sounding plausible, great. If they do not come close, I am sure we can come up with some other suggestions.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Conventional painting in micro vacuum is so problematic it's practically an impossibility. Spray painting adds other problems.

Issues:

• Hyper rapid evaporation of solvent carrier (thinner) will render ineffective or freeze paint vehicle (binder medium) before surface contact and leave widespread blemishes in finish if evaporation doesn't prevent adhesion altogether.
  • Ineffective mechanical adhesion from nonwet application due to rapid solvent evaporation.
  • Most enamel-based paints rely on oxidation to cure and harden finish and for chemical adhesion properties, won't cure in a vacuum.
  • Synthetic resin-based paints, hydrocarbon plastic coatings actually, cure in ultraviolet light, but problematic to mix and solvent and catalyst (Methyl Ethyl Ketone Peroxide, MEKP) evaporation still an issue.
  • Water soluble and low volatile organic compound, VOC, paints rely partly on evaporation for cure, partly on oxidation, partly on ultraviolet light, rapid evaporation of solvent still an issue.
  • Gaseous propellant sprays will freeze and clog sprayer nozzle, plus freezing vehicle and carrier solvent, and evaporation problems.
  • Rapid extreme temperature fluctuations in outer space would require a costly thermo-stablized paint for any long duration application.
  • There's other issues but this is a front-end listing of the immediate issues.

Powder coat paints are actually dry powder enamels applied by electrostatic deposition. But they need controlled, relatively high heat curing in order to set in place. Most plausible painting method in a vacuum.

Three practical reasons for painting, preservation of a substrate, labeling, art or vandalism. Painting a vessel's surface that is exposed to vacuum seems highly impractical and unnecessary. Quick, convenient, and easy labeling of small or large areas in a vacuum would be practically impossible by most conventional painting methods. For art or vandalism? Seems to me that would be equally if not more impractical.

I can imagine one scenario where future tech might solve most of the issues. Ultraviolet light protection coated nano-miniature paint balls shot onto a surface that burst on contact with a substrate and cure instantly in vacuum due to ultraviolet light exposure.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited November 02, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! You all have great stuff and have given me a lot to think about.

I will have to come up with some gadget that addresses all of these issues.

Thank you very much for your insights.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

There are other substances that can be used as the "paint" itself. The main thing is to apply some color of some sort, or apply some protection of some sort. It does not have to be the polymers or other commonly used substances we usually refer to as paint.

Electrostatic painting can work quite well for many substances. One thought I had is that photocopier ink is made up of the ink itself, a magnetic material that is attracted by electrostatic charges, and a plastic that is melted so the ink is bonded to the surface.
If the spray painting is done in several stages, they could spray the "paint" onto the surface. then pass over it with a heater to melt it to the surface.

Another method is to use an epoxy like material where it is combined in the nozzle when it is sprayed and the chemical reaction happens moments later, usually once it was attracted to the ship surface.

If it is a chemical process that requires the surface of the ship (the old finish as a possibility) to act like a catalyst to cause the reaction to set up. The setup finish would work great as the electrostatic spray causes the finish to attach to the surface of the ship and only that which makes contact freezes into the paint. The rest floats away harmlessly, or to slowly drift onto another part of the ship.
If this is a ship yard, one could have an entire system to clear the space of the paint dust, dragging meshes or plates through the area to gather up the dust.

The painters might need to torch the surface. The ship plating would have to be able to take great heat so applying heat to the paint to weld it to the surface should not be a problem.

Of course, welding the paint (metal compounds) would be a way to go where the paint becomes part of the substructure, building up another layer of protection. Again, electrostatic attraction would work.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jmsbrtms
Member # 8874

- posted      Profile for Jmsbrtms   Email Jmsbrtms         Edit/Delete Post 
The above comments are detailed enough for the paint, but is the work being done in open space while underway or in a work area like a space dock?

Open space would give the same quality as painting a car outside. Dust, moisture, gas all effecting quality. You could have lots of fun with ionization and static charge issues in open space.

Inside a space dock or a space vehicle the environment can be controlled, temperature, static charge, solar winds not blowing micro particles of paint over things.

Take the item inside to paint, you get air quality issues for the vehicle. The attempt to buff out a scratch on your starship could killing off the entire crew.

Posts: 19 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

One thing that can be done is to put the ship in "dry dock" where the ship is taken into a repair bay and be pressurized.

If it is on a spinning space station, or if you have some form of artificial gravity, the pressurized spinning bay would be like painting in gravity.

One would simply filter the fumes out of the air. Of course, most everybody would be in space suits anyway, but we are used to working in a pressurized gravity environment so painting in dry dock would be a solution.

When done, pump the air out of the bay and let the ship out, clean and painted under exact controlled conditions.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.