Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Royalty Realities

Author Topic: Royalty Realities
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't read genreality, you might want to check this out - Lynn Viehl posted the details of her royalty statement online, with a discussion of what it really means to be a NYT "bestseller" in terms of income.

http://www.genreality.net/more-on-the-reality-of-a-times-bestseller

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess it would be worse to be a poet
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Sobering. I think it was Harlan Ellison who mentioned that a real writer is always "hustling", trying to get his/her work in as many places and hands as he/she can.
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
But then that woman that wrote 'The Time Traveller's Wife' got 5 million dollar advance for her second book.

I could live with that.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Isaac Asimov once wrote that he would write a new book,
and people would enjoy it,
then they would look for his older books to see if they liked them,
And that is how he actually made his money.

He kept producing in rapid succession so checks were always coming in and people were buying his older books.

Edited to mention that he wrote 400 books, the third most in the history of man kind.

[This message has been edited by rstegman (edited November 06, 2009).]

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
A good thing to keep in mind. This is only one of her many books, which means this stuff does add up. Eventually....
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that's one of the reasons why it's important to write fast and keep 'em coming.

I'm still working on that part. I tend to agonize over every word.

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Asimov...

Who were the first and second place in quantity of books?

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a list of the 20 most prolific writers (so claimed)...Asimov doesn't even make the list.

http://www.trivia-library.com/c/20-most-prolific-authors-and-writers-in-literary-history.htm

The more I hear of the financial side of the writing life, the more I'm glad I aimed for a high-paying job and kept writing on the side. (That I don't like doing what I do, and regret choosing it, is another issue.)

Right now I'm aiming for financial independence---retirement, pension, money in the bank---and if I can actually manage to sell something, any money I get will be gravy on top.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
So it looks like most of the people on this list are not writing in today's publishing environment. Or even the publishing environment of the last 10-20 years.

I wonder if there is a connection? Is it just too hard to get a book published now than pretty much ever before?

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
What is a royalty? lol
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

In the thing I heard, the two other authors were in like in Hungry and they wrote strictly mysteries. At that time, one had 450 books and I forgot if the other one had 500 or 400. It had been quite a while since I had read that.
One thing it said was that because Asimov wrote on all sorts of subjects, his lower book count was more impressive.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Everything from joke books to sci-fi novels to texts on Organic Bio. Pretty durn impressive if you ask me.
Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
So let me get this straight. The author gets 24K and the publishing house gets 250+K? Something seems amiss with that...
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Publishing's standard business model is similar to other production operations, 30 percent production costs, 30 percent operating costs, 30 percent overhead costs, 10 percent gross profits. Author royalties come out of the pool of costs. And there's more to it than that, like royalty payment reserve against returns, average is 25 percent. Remaindered casecover copies average 40 percent of total print run, higher for paperbacks.

Of course, the ideal is a high advance, but if a title doesn't earn out its advance, an author might not earn as high an advance on a next title, if any advance at all, let alone a publishing contract to begin with.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited November 07, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
My views on money and an author's pay must be much skewed from normal. Not only is Viehl's income what I'd expect for her, but to make enough money as an author to cover all of my household's basic expenses is a dream. How many writers really believe most bestselling authors are rich, anyway?

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited November 07, 2009).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

Back in the 90s, on Prodigy Classic, One discussion pointed out with romances, that the first book got a set price. I forgot the numbers but it was not much, on the idea of $2500. Each subsiquent book got a little more. It was around the forth or fifth book one was able to start negotiating the advances.

The reason for this is that the publisher is taking a big chance on your first book. No one has heard of you and there is no proof you will sell.
This is also why there is a saying that publishers are not interested in your first book, but your second and third books. They depend on authors who can develop a following. Each new book develops a bigger following where people will watch for your work and know immediately that it is something they want to read.

To be an author that makes money in writing, you must work at it like a job, forty hour weeks, fifty two weeks a year, producing product that people will buy. The same as any "paying" job.
Most of us are part time writers and are writing as a hobby. If I put in five hours a week in my non-story idea writing, I really have my nose to the grindstone. Consider how much money you would make at your real job if you put in five hours a week at it.
There are stories of people quitting their jobs to become writers. Most of those stories are about people who never developed the skills in the first place and just decided that they will write for a profession.

The writing industry is a cottage industry, where people do the work, at home, in their spare time.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent a lot more time on my writing before I joined the workforce and tried to make a living...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To be an author that makes money in writing, you must work at it like a job, forty hour weeks, fifty two weeks a year, producing product that people will buy. The same as any "paying" job.
Most of us are part time writers and are writing as a hobby. If I put in five hours a week in my non-story idea writing, I really have my nose to the grindstone. Consider how much money you would make at your real job if you put in five hours a week at it.

The trouble is, most people are already working a forty hour a week job (or nearly so like myself) and many already have kids etc etc so putting in 40 hours a week on writing is simply an impossibility.

Stephen King worked a regular job and wrote in his off time before making it big. He probably put more time in than many people here do, but I doubt he spent 40 hours a week writing, all the time.

I'm almost totally positive JK Rowling didn't write 40 hours a week before making it big.

There are a LOT of factors that figure into the concept of getting to the point of making a living on writing.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
It all depends on how high you are aiming and how high you are able to achieve.

Brandon Sanderson's new book (The Gathering Storm) has a 1,000,000 initial print-run in hardcover. Even if they only sell 300,000 and remainder the rest, that's still a lot of royalty income.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked this guy from Robert's link:

quote:
3. PRENTISS INGRAHAM (1843-1904) 600 + books

American dime novelist who occasionally wrote a 35,000-word book overnight. He wrote 200 books on Buffalo Bill alone.

Nano-ers take note - at least to know it's possible

And it's nice to see others in the part-time category. I feel like less of a slacker now...

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Brandon Sanderson's new book (The Gathering Storm) has a 1,000,000 initial print-run in hardcover. Even if they only sell 300,000 and remainder the rest, that's still a lot of royalty income.

Depending, of course, on how big his advance was. Between his name and the fact that it's the long-awaited continuation of a series (for some people), he might have had a pretty big advance.

And doesn't he have to share the royalties with Jordan's estate?

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Royalties are paid based on a publisher's sale price, not a cover price. An average of 20 percent of publisher sales are at 100 percent of cover price, 20 percent discounted 20 percent, 60 percent discounted 40 percent, and in book club sales and warehouse clearance sales as much as 60 percent discount.

A $25 cover price casecover title with 2,000 copy print run and 40 percent returns earns about $1,600 in royalties at 10 percent royalty rate. An average advance for the same parameters is about $1,000.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
RE: the dime novelist. Can you imagine writing 35,000 words a night without a computer? I can't. He lived from 1843 to 1904. that's before typewriters.

Was he a super hero? What a man.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

The best burst of writing I ever had was fifty thousand words of a Harlequin Romance in a week's time. I was never able to duplicate the effect in writing science fiction or anything else. (No, I wouldn't pass that book around; it was lousy.)

Writing thirty-five thousand words a night isn't impossible, even now...but you'd have to sacrifice things like second drafts and extreme revisions. And, likely, quality as well.

I would imagine to draw Brandon Sanderson into writing The Gathering Storm, Jordan's estate would have had to make some kind of royalty deal with him, though, as said, likely a fraction of what he could get for an original work of his own---but, also, a fraction of a greater whole than what he could sell on his own.

More likely, a posthumous collaboration---say, something like the endless books that have come from the estate of V. C. Andrews---would involve a flat fee, no royalties, and all other rights remaining with the estate. Work-for-hire.

When I worked in a (mostly-used) bookstore, we bought new books, paperbacks only, at thirty-five percent of the cover price, not directly from the publisher, but from a wholesaler. (Ingram Books.) I'm also told it costs pennies to produce a book as an artifact. So you can see the markup is quite large.

Moreover, you could return books---not the book itself, but you could strip the cover from the paperback and send that back---and get your purchase price back. So you see a bookseller need only sell little more than a third of the books bought on this deal, and he'd be in the black.

Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
If the writing is more about the passion than the business angle, the lack of financial reward is irrelevant. I think, for many of us here, we aspire to publish more to reach a wider audience than to laugh all the way to the bank.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah pretty much. Sure, I want to get as much money for my stuff as I can, and the idea of being able to write for a living is great. But really I think even most now bestselling authors...especially genre authors...may have set out with that as a desire, but I don't think it was their primary goal.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.