Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Two cents worth...

Author Topic: Two cents worth...
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got thinking about this. I have noticed, while I have been on Hatrack, that a lot of people pay money when they give their opinion. Often this is either two cents, or two pence.

My question is this:

Where is all this money? It's got to add up overtime, so there must be many thousands of dollars/pounds by now.

Does it go to KDW and OSC for a slap up meal?

Another question:

What about inflation? I have concerns that if the cost of giving advice goes up, people may become reticent about giving their '...three cents worth'--or, god forbid, '...four cents worth'.

I was thinking of starting the our own 'two cents' fund (for those that insist on paying to give advice) of which, I would nominate myself as treasurer.

Simply send your two cents (and whatever advice you wish to pay to give--I'll read it!) to my email address via paypal.

REAL QUESTION...why do we say this?

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 04, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I thought they were saying 'to sense' as in to have a feeling about something...like most peoples 6th sense on my 1st 13 is to say "I see dead prose" or in broader terms "to sense worth" and noting whether something is worthy or not worthy.

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited December 04, 2009).]

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Are you saying that other authors have extra-sensory perceptions? Two sense worth could mean '...I both smell and taste your bad prose..."?

Nah, I still think there's a big pile of money and KDW and OSC are quietly spending it.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, right.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, it goes to buy goodies that we dangle before the tech gnomes so they'll keep running in their little wheels (sort of like hamster wheels) to keep this place working.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, what about inflation? Shouldnt this be at least 3 cents now?
Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
There's probably some long ago lost letter to an editor in a dead periodical archive with a salutation that reads, Respectfully, as posting this letter cost me all of two pence, that's all, my two-pence' worth. Yours, (signed) Jack Tar.

There's that delightful other metaphor of English tolltaking, spend a penny.

Mind your P's and Q's (pints and quarts, as adjudicated by courts of Oyer and Terminer), literally, else you'll receive/give short measure.

A picture is worth a thousand words. Literally. A full-sized, engraved illustration in periodicals of yore earned the engraver the equivalent pay of one thousand words, about the amount of real estate above the fold of a broadsheet format newspaper, roughly 17" by 11" or six columns 11" high. An illustration sans border and padding and caption and headline and credits occupies roughly 50 column inches, 25 to 35 words per column inch. Pennies were paid per column inch to periodical writers in ye olden days.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited December 04, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

At least, the Fragments and Feedback sections don't bear the Visa and Mastercard logos.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliedfive
Member # 7811

- posted      Profile for alliedfive   Email alliedfive         Edit/Delete Post 
"REAL QUESTION...why do we say this?"

It's your basic qualifying statement. Probably an artifact of the lack of non-verbal communication in writing. No one wants to sound like a know-it-all, so they say "that's my worthless opinion, take it or leave it."

Posts: 323 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, see I always thought people were going to give me the money. It stays at 2 cents because, well, when there's no demand it's hard to raise prices.

That's my two cents; now pay up.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take another angle, not that I think it came from this since I just thought of it. It seems like the same thing as "twenty bucks says you can't jump over that parking meeter." So I'll pay you 2 cents if you take my advice.

But it does make sense that the money would go to keeping the LGMs from letting the smoke out of the servers.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
A 2c opinion was worth a whole lot more thirty years ago.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Mmm, now you write it '2c', it makes me wonder if in fact it's two degrees centigrade of writing opinion that's being given.

Or perhaps it's been chinese-whispered over time from C2 (C squared).

If the other person (the author) brings the mass of the prose, and then you multiply it by the speed of cosmic understanding as expressed through you (your critique), you end up with the energy of the piece.

Just a theory...

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 04, 2009).]

Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
All hail omniscient, omnipotent wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_two_cents_(idiom)

Curse the British. Tis all their fault!

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Mmm, now you write it '2c', it makes me wonder if in fact it's two degrees centigrade of writing opinion that's being giving.

Or perhaps it's been chinese-whispered over time from C2 (C squared).

If the other person (the author) brings the mass of the prose, and then you multiply it by the speed of cosmic understanding as expressed through you (your critique), you end up with the energy of the piece.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Note the SF-related reference at the end of the Wikipedia article.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.