Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Books on scene

Author Topic: Books on scene
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone. I've been taking an online Gotham writing class, and today they introduced the art of 'scenes'.

Now, I thought I knew what scenes were, and how to effectively use them... But this class lecture brought about all new kinds of interesting uses for them.

So now I have a question for you. Are there any books that you could recommend to me on scene?

And yes, I could search on amazon and look for the ones with good reviews... But lets just say I trust you folks more.

Thank you.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
SCENE AND STRUCTURE by Jack Bickham
Also TECHNIQUES OF THE SELLING WRITER by Dwight Swain

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently found scenes and sequels. I think it is useful, if not a book...

http://www.advancedfictionwriting.com/art/scene.php

Apparently, the article is based off of Swain's book... so if you like the article... As for me, I've already added it to my amazon list...

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Bickham and Swain are two views of the same thing. Swain wrote his book in the 50s or 60s and Bickham (Swain's student) wrote his in the 90s. Both are excellent. Both are about how writing actually works.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for posting the link Tearan. I haven't picked up Bickham or Swain because I was worried they would be too advanced for me, but I found the information in the article really useful.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Actually, Swain and Bickham are quite basic. They are both concerned with the structure of scenes and sequels. Swain's book covers additional topics and Bickham's is a further study of those two key structures - scene and sequel.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited December 11, 2009).]

Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for this! I'll definitely be checking these out.
Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

I found that for me the key to understanding scene and sequel is that scenes are "scenes" the poiht of which are actions in the plot and sequels are "scenes" the point of which are decisions.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.