Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » fourth quarter WOTF (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: fourth quarter WOTF
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Chris and all you others. It is as Skadder says, just a matter of time.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
THis isn't funny anymore. I still have yet to hear anything on my submission. I dug up the old email informing me they received it. I know I put in a SASE envelope. All my ducks were placed in a row. I therefore can conclude one of two things that happened.

a) Kathy had it on an early finalist list in her desk where it slipped behind it and is now being used as nesting material for the mouse living inside her wall.

or...

b) Ms. Wentworth believes there is a place for garbage and it is not the US postal system.

Guess I will put on some warm clothes, grab a lawnchair, and wait by my mailbox.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited January 17, 2010).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LlessurNire
Member # 8781

- posted      Profile for LlessurNire   Email LlessurNire         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the same boat snapper...

I had received the confirmation email that my entry was received but I still have not received my rejection. (I'm assuming its a rejection since all the HM's and finalists have been announced)

Posts: 85 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed a WOTF entrant from my state was an HM in Q04.
Philip Edward Kaldon, his blog says that he has had an entry completely lost in the mail before. At least you guys know it got there.

quote:
In twenty-two WOTF entries I have had 3 Finalists (1 to be published in the 24th WOTF Anthology), 2 Semi-Finalists and 10 Quarter-Finalists/2 Honorable Mention, plus 4 plain old Rejections and 1 Lost-in-Mail (No Decision).

http://dr-phil-physics.com/bio.htm

[This message has been edited by Dark Warrior (edited January 17, 2010).]

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a question regarding the WOTF rules. I was reading throught their Contest Rules and found this:

quote:
7. We accept only entries for which no delivery signature is required by us to receive them.

What exactly does this mean?

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I assume it means don't use registered post.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

If that is the case, I have no certificate that the mail has been shipped. Who guarantees me that they will not pretend they never received my shipment and claim my story as their own?
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If that is the case, I have no certificate that the mail has been shipped. Who guarantees me that they will not pretend they never received my shipment and claim my story as their own?

History. With WOTF in particular they have had tens of thousands of submissions and if that had ever happened word would have leaked out about it. After so many years, with the same reading staff in place, and it never happening I would say you could trust this particular contest/publisher not to do that.

Plus they send you a confirmation email to let you know that they received your submission.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I recall reading where an author was informed that his entry he sent two years pryor was discovered inside the WotF secret lair.

After sending their deepest apoligizes they offered him a list of options. He decided to let that be his submission for the next.

He got a quarter-finalist (now called Honable Mention) in the end.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
I recall reading where an author was informed that his entry he sent two years pryor was discovered inside the WotF secret lair.
After sending their deepest apoligizes they offered him a list of options. He decided to let that be his submission for the next.

He got a quarter-finalist (now called Honable Mention) in the end.

A complimentary critique would have been cool in that instance

MartinV
Member # 5512

I'm not questioning WOTF's integrity. It's just that I had some bad experience with mail service in the past where something quite important was sent in haste without being registered. And it simply disappeared. I blamed the mail service, of course, not the recipient. If I had the shipment registered, I would at least have proof I sent it.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

You can get USPS proof of delivery without having it signed for by the recipient. USPS will just say yeah, it was delivered on this date. Plus the confirmation email tells you that they received it. What they dont want is a requirement for Joni to be there to personally sign for it when it arrives, there are way too many submissions for that to be feasible on their end.
snapper
Member # 7299

Dear Journal,

It has been 93 days since I last heard of the fate of my 10Q4 script. All others have either shrugged their shoulders and grinned at their Honorable Mention award, cried over their coffee and moved on from their 'try again' letter, or snapped their fingers on getting so close as Chris has. My poor submission has become lost in the abyss. A refuge from the lands of hopes and dreams, a vagrant among the fortunate and lucky literary works, a ghost without substance drifting without purpose, and a 1000 other cliched overdramatic passages that I do not have time to research at the moment.
I often lie and bed and wonder what has happened to my lonely, black ink on white paper, words that are pasted together, masterpiece. Was it close at hand when the heat went out in KDW's house and they needed something to start the kindling in the fireplace? Was it the day when poochy couldn't wait be let out and they needed something to clean it up? Perhaps it had a more noble fate and is being used to catch the dripping paint in the freshly painted living room.
I am now wondering if their is something else I could have done. Was the tiny cameras inserted inside the page numbers to spy on Kathy while she read my script such a bad idea? Does Skadders 'Voodoo spell on every page' suggestion sound so silly now?
Maybe I should start a support group with LN.

Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
My heart bleeds.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Cut back on the warfarin, then.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper, have you tried e-mailing Joni to ask about your story's status?
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

OH know, JH, I haven't. That solution is too easy and makes sense.
snapper
Member # 7299

Got my script back today, minus the We made a horrible mistake! explanation I was hoping for.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
So the story arc closes. Better luck next time.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LlessurNire
Member # 8781

- posted      Profile for LlessurNire   Email LlessurNire         Edit/Delete Post 
got my rejection in the mail today as well snapper

it was dated Jan 14th, the same day that the final HM's and finalists were posted...I wonder if they always wait until posting the winners to send these out?

Posts: 85 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.