Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Careful of What you Post in F&F

Author Topic: Careful of What you Post in F&F
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been in engaged in a story and thought it might be a candidate for WotF. I ran it through F&F for Short Stories.

I wondered what would happen if I googled the title. Guess what? The first two entries were the Hatrack F&F threads regarding the story.

So the warnings about titles and postings should be heeded. Not only for WotF, but for the copyright aspects that are so often mentioned.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've long suspected that Author Services, Inc., WOTF contest administrator, specifically Ms. Labaqui WOTF contest coordinator, checks for author and story eligibility on the Internet. I imagine there'd be quite a hue and cry raised if an ineligible person or story was posted as a finalist.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit confused. What is so terrible if Google found your title? Isn't that a good thing?

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited January 10, 2010).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
It's an anonymity thing. You don't want to associate your name with your story, or else you might get disqualified. I think the odds of that are slim unless you print it in the manuscript itself (I can't imagine judges really have time to sit around googling story titles, nor would they want to if they might accidentally disqualify someone), but it's better safe than sorry.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
You could:

(1) put a different title on it when you post in F & F, thereby fudging the matter.

(2) query the WoTF judges and see if this does mean anything to them.

Meanwhile, I think I'll drop in on Google and punch in some of my own story titles.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, change the title for a start.

Plus, it was in F & F under Owasm, not your real name or your pen name. Some people would know. But presumably not the judges.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I did Google the titles of the three stories of mine I'd put up on my website. Two of them were the third item on the list...the third was just too common and didn't turn up after ten pages of results. (I can't recall if I've ever mentioned the titles here.)

I tried it out on a few Internet Fan Fiction titles of mine, and produced similar results. One was original enough to be a single page with no entries that didn't refer to the story. (Curiously, two of them seem to have been used as commercial movie titles after I used them---I can't complain---in fact, I'm amused.)

So it would seem this factoid is something to be concerned about. If clarification can be obtained from WotF (or anybody else), it might settle a few things.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been confused about eligibility for WoTF for awhile. I've never been published in anything big. Would I be out if I submitted to WoTF?
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
You're perfect for the competition, bababooey.
Only three short sales that reach 50,000 reader and, I think, one novel length pro-sale or more are ineligible.

So write and submit. KDW could always use another story to read. I'm sure of it.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there anything wrong with using the first page of an upcoming WotF submission for the application to OSC's Literary Boot Camp?
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Is there anything wrong with using the first page of an upcoming WotF submission for the application to OSC's Literary Boot Camp?

Nothing wrong with that at all

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, that's what I did and it was no problem.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.