Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Watching Your Writing Mature

Author Topic: Watching Your Writing Mature
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have one book that I'm reading for the third (or is it the fourth?) time. I usually wait a couple of months before I'll pick it up and read through it again, and each time I find I understand more and that I've matured one more step in my writing skills because of it.

So what is this book that's practically become my writing bible and one that has taken up residense by my computer? It's been mentioned time and time again by other Hatrackers: SELF-EDITING FOR FICTION WRITERS.

I know we all have our favorites. This just happens to be mine though I have others too. As my skills grow, I find I look at what this book has to say in a new light every time I pick it up, and I feel it shows in my work more and more all the time.

Have any of you experienced this? I know its an incredible feeling to have your eyes opened just a bit more and understand a little better how to get your story across with a hair more professionalism. It's a great feeling.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I've noticed the same thing with several books, and one of them is the Brown/King work you mention.

I think it's a fairly common thing that as we become more immersed in an endeavor we are more prepared to understand what an expert is saying. One area for me was the oft-discussed topic of the "rules". As an eager new student I looked at the "rules" as absolutes and accepted (or sometimes rejected) them as such. As I worked with them (really within them) I began to understand that they were really tools to help keep one's eye on the ball, and eventually began to use them as such. So what I once viewed as limitations I eventually started putting to work for me.

Another area was the topic of character development and what it takes for a reader to develop a strong interest in a character. I had an epiphany along that road that made me completely reverse a large amount of what I believed was important in the realm of writing.

The cool thing is that what at first appeared hopelessly complicated when viewed from the perspectives introduced in the academic study of literature is actually much simpler on it's core level: the individual connection to a reader.

That doesn't make it any less difficult, but it's far more encouraging to keep at it when we begin to envision what lies at the heart of success.

Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found OSC's Characters and Viewpoint to be the most significant book for me so far. I look back at some old stuff and I had no idea about pov, everything was an omniscient narrator. This book has organized the thoughts in my head so that I can (hopefully) do a better job of telling the story.

Since the first story I wrote after reading this book also became my first piece sold, I'd say that it's a pretty good indication of my writing maturing. It does feel good to see that kind of progress even if I know there's still a long way to go.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Baerveldt
Member # 8531

- posted      Profile for Jeff Baerveldt   Email Jeff Baerveldt         Edit/Delete Post 
This has just happened to me.

I started studying story structure at storyfix.com (I think that's the URL). It was an eye opener, to be sure. It's changed the way I watch movies and read books, and I've quickly discovered the problems with all of my novel attempts.

Right now I'm in the pre-writing stage of a novel, and the work is going tremendously. I feel in command of the material, like I know what I'm doing.

Great feeling, that.

Posts: 49 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WBSchmidt
Member # 8533

- posted      Profile for WBSchmidt   Email WBSchmidt         Edit/Delete Post 
@Jeff Baerveldt

Hey, long time no see.

About storyfix.com, I think I've heard of that, recommended by Dave Farland's Daily Kick. I haven't had the chance to look too deeply into it yet.

--William

Posts: 354 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.