Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The last velociraptor.

Author Topic: The last velociraptor.
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post 
I miss extrinsic and I miss Survivor and dvdakota and maryrobinette and wilbriggs and francli and kolona and Robyn_Hood and Christine and HSO and too many others.

I have been here since 2002(ish) in various forms and names and feel like the last dinosaur surrounded by all these mammals.

Any advice?

(be nice)

[This message has been edited by Andrew_McGown (edited March 17, 2010).]

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Watch out for large metorites.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if you're the last dinosaur, Andrew_McGown, I guess that makes me that last trilobyte.

I've been doing this since 1997.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh heh.

Well if it is any consolation I think that Trilobytes are the most beautiful of all my fossil friends...

just saying.

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if you guys are more like Coelacanths or something, having survived since the Cretaceous period while each of the rest of us work out whether we'll outlast the Darwinian survival-of-the-fittest waves that wash over the forums every once in a while. ;)
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Write a story or poem about the last dinosaur, who:
  • dies of loneliness.
  • makes friends with the mammals and grows feathers to please them.
  • uses dinosaur magic or merges with the dying dinosaur god to go back to the time when his kind lived.
  • discovers he's in the wrong story and so wanders across the pages of an anthology to find a plot involving dinosaurs.
  • does something other than the above.

*Edited to close the list code.

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited March 17, 2010).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a list code??? I want one!
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
It's 2010. The last velociraptor died 65 million years ago. My advice? Head towards the light...

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited March 17, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Besides, extrinisic showed his face recently, he just called himself a different name so he could...

"...Begin again in a new world." Bladerunner

At least I am fairly certain it was him--he's pretty identifiable when he posts.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

So KDW, in thirteen/fourteen years you MUST have learned something about the broad categories of people who inhabit a forum like this.

What are some of the archetypes?

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
People come, they go, they might be back someday. You gotta accept that. Me, I've been here, oh, what is it, four years now? Seems I'm still able to say something, though I've used up my best material.

I ego-searched my name on Google (or was it Bing?---I searched both) yesterday and turned up an old debate about gestures and different cultures...fascinating to see who's no longer around...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been here since 2005 (I had to check my profile) using the same name the whole time. I've seen many people come and go in my time...
Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been around since 2004, although I fall off the face of the earth now and then so sometimes newbies take me for a newbie.

I remember that list of people, They really were the old guard. (I'll also add Mikemunsil, but I guess he still haunts libertyhall. There was also a guy named Jules who was fantastic when it came to science questions.) I regret that Francli left before I had the opportunity to use the "Francli, my dear I don't give a dang" line.

Survivor always claimed that he was a lizard, perhaps we now understand why.

I'm not sure where you need advice, on being an old timer? Okay here it is, be wise, talk crazy once in a while and pretend you can't hear people sometimes.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Dean Smith sez it's inevitable that all writing groups break apart eventually. No matter how hard you try to keep them together.

I know Mary Robinette Kowal hangs at Codex from time to time, but you have to have some pro sales to get in there.

I miss the days when I thought I could trust that every pro writer in existence as a) a nice person and b) would automatically want to help new writers and c) wouldn't be a d**k about certain topics or certain points of professional discussion.

Alas, pro writers' butt cracks stink like all of ours do. (sigh)

I think part of the issue is that people advance in the careers at different speeds, and as you advance you just kind of naturally start to "level up" in your peer group: the people you 'run with' in your daily or weekly interactions.

I don't spend nearly the kind of time I used to spend, at the WOTF forum, mostly because I am on Codex now, and probably in a few years I will not be spending a lot of time on Codex, but will be doing something else. Maybe spending all my time jawing with people in the comments on my blog? That seems to be a full-time job for a lot of pro authors.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
WBriggs got married and had a little one (Liam). Most of us who've even read any of his posts, have been waiting for survivor's prophesied return. djvdakota still pops in now and then, but she is a first reader for Flash Fiction Online, but blogs about it. Christine, Silver3, AletheaKontis, MaryRobinette and a number of others frequent Codex--but MaryRobinette is very busy (and secretary of the SFWA) too. Don't know about Robyn_Hood, kolona or HSO, and I've only seen francli popping in and out. I think you'll find them lurking about, but many have begun to do what they set out to and that takes up a lot of time.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 21, 2010).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Some people on that list post on the other side, though not about writing.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Archetypes? They're just people, just like the ones who are here now. <shrug>
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

If you want to list things, the list code is to put [list] at the beginning of the list, and put an [*] at the beginning of each element in the list, then put [/list] at the end of the list.

Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

I didn't mean that those people I mentioned were archetypes. Heh heh. Sorry if it looked that way.

I have heard what I think I needed to hear.
Perhaps it is time to head west into the sunset.

Its alright.

[This message has been edited by Andrew_McGown (edited March 18, 2010).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.