Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » problem with the browser

Author Topic: problem with the browser
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
How do I get rid of Bing? It suddenly appeared on my computer in place of MSN and I can't find a way to get rid of it!
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what you're referring to is "The new MSN". I'm not a fan of it either. MSN replaced their old search function with Bing some time ago. On the new format that Bing search box takes up the whole top of the page.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless, I a mistaken a restart should reset your defaults. The same thing happened to me. I thought the gods had frowned upon me.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
firefox or IE? if IE just install FF and forget.

If determined to use IE - try manage addon or browse options under tools menu to fiddle around which search engine is default.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Usually, you have to go to your internet settings and change your homepage. I only know firefox and IE:

Firefox:
Go to tools, options, and then select Main tab. The first option is to select the startup page. You can manually type it in or surf to that page and then use current.

IE:
There is a little icon of a house on the upper right corner. You have to remove the BING page, then surf to whatever page you want and select Add or change home page.

Frankly, that is what bugs me most about Microsoft. In an attempt to be user friendly, they take away your option to select your own settings, essentially controlling your stuff. I am considering switching to Mac... as soon as I have too much money...

[This message has been edited by Teraen (edited March 22, 2010).]

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to be too much of an MS fanboi, but Teraen, if you're annoyed that Microsoft takes away config options in the name of user friendliness, you will HATE a Mac. There is only one way to do what you want on a Mac. It's optimized and beautiful, sure, but god help you if you want your program windows to look any different than what Almighty Jobs has decided is the best look, to store your files (regularly and easily) in some place other than where Almighty Jobs thinks they belong, to use a program other than iTunes to download music... well, basically to do anything any way other than the default.

Sure, all of these things are very much possible on a Mac (I own both a Mac and a PC), but if you aren't fluent in *nix, good luck with that. Macs are nice b/c they do what they are designed to very well, very easily, and they're pretty. They are difficult or impossible to configure to your liking, and a good chunk of the popular programs you enjoy will be missing or outdated on the Mac (congrats on just getting an old version of Chrome, Civ 4, and a sluggish Firefox without a whole lot of my favorite bells and whistles). As for the "how do I change my search engine" complaint, the only difference between a browser on a Mac and a PC will be that the default is Google rather than Bing.

MS isn't perfect, and sometimes I prefer the slicker, less complicated focus of the Mac (I love my iPhone), but if you're looking to configure your own machine and make it personal you're going in the absolute worst direction by switching to Jobs-land.

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What micmcd said, Teraen.

If you want to get away from MS-dominated PC land, try linux.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've fiddled with Macs and found them ok, but now I'll have to be more judicious...

In regards to Linux... I'm actually gonna try it next time I upgrade computers. I'm going to try it on my old system and see if I can deal with it. If so...

Anyways. enough with the hijackingage. Back to Arriki's problem...

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.