Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » intrusive "survey" for Hatrack

Author Topic: intrusive "survey" for Hatrack
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
They want me to take a survey for hatrack -- not a Hatrack one for all that it says it -- and it's hard to get away from

anybody know what's going on?

arriki

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Who is "they?"

Have you got some kind of virus, arriki, since

quote:
it's hard to get away from
?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like adware. Get someone who knows what he's doing to clean your registers.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Download and run Malware Bytes. Probably Super Anti Spyware, too. They're both free. A full scan will take a while, but do it now. If it's malware, that stuff spreads. Trust me. Been there, done that, got the bruises.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
They seem to be hatrack but it is intrusive and pops up once I'm in the area. Have to leave to shake it. It's not here right now, but it's in red letters and wants me to take some survey. I don't like to think that the people running this are getting that pushy.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
It really sounds like a virus. Meredith has the right idea. Malware Bytes and Super Anti-spy are the way to go. And they're free so you have nothing to lose. Do let it go too long or it can really mess with your system.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm confused. Are you getting an email requesting a survey (that means someone got your email address...) or are you getting some pop-up?

Either way, its a good idea to run an antispyware and antivirus program at least weekly... more often depending on your computing/surfing habits.

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I notice that none of you have considered the possibility that Arriki has actually been abducted by aliens and is trying to make contact with the only people who are likely to believe him. Arriki, don't take their survey you'd just be helping "them" with their obvious plans to invade. Tell them the planet is rampent with deadly violent microbes and insane humans. Tell them the planet is near its end due to magnetic instability. If those things don't put them off, tell them about KDW - defender of the planet. We're all counting on you my friend.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Put a better pop-up blocker in place on your browser, or download a better browser, or upgrade your browser if yours is older. Then take a look at pop-up blocker options you may have in internet options. You should also look into malware scanning products. I've used Ad Aware in the past, which is free. Just be sure you use a well-regarded one or one that comes recommended, as some malware scanning products are actually malware in disguise. It's disgusting, really, what these things do.

I think you can safely assume from kdw's comments and the lack of anyone else on this site saying they're getting a survey that it's anything coming FROM hatrack (even if it says it is. Malware is really good at appearing like it's coming from somewhere legit.) So now that you know it's not coming from Hatrack, you're going to have to do something on your computer to make it go away. Good luck, hope you can get rid of it!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
If the survey says.....

Please fill out the following survey from your friends at Hatrack.
1) what is your ss#
2) have you found your time at Hatrack to be helpful.
3) what is your banking sign on name and password.
4) how might we improve Hatrack
5) please enter your credit card number including exp and security code found on the back.
6) in a few short sentances how would you rate KDW's management style.
7) where do you normally hide your spare house key.

....I'd be suspicious. Hope this was helpful.
Your friends at Hatrack.

Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I know I haven't seen it...I don't see anything ostensibly from Hatrack among my blocked popups.

Don't give your social security number out to anybody unless it involves money---it's not intended, legally, for any other purpose, and especially and specifically not for identification purposes. Even if the matter does involve money, be suspicious.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.