Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Eight writers on first lines of novels

Author Topic: Eight writers on first lines of novels
posulliv
Member # 8147

- posted      Profile for posulliv   Email posulliv         Edit/Delete Post 
From the Irish Times:

Eight writers tell SINÉAD GLEESON how they write the opening line of a novel, and suggest their favourites.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2010/0428/1224269210849.html

Posts: 389 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen this type of thing many times. Authors don't necessarily share my tastes, or that of an editor, agent or publisher. What an author admires probably influences his or her work, but it would not influence mine in the same way. It's interesting to see, but is subjectve.

I'd really like to see the top ten openings (not limited to one line--or thirteen for that matter ) as opined by the top agents and/or editors. Now that would be beneficial. If we could cross reference top agents'- and editors' top picks, we could get a pretty good idea of what will hook them. Not only that, we could see the strengths in those openings throughout the books. (This is also subjective, as many editors or agents can be distracted or turned-off from external sources, but their favorites will probably be slow in the changing.)

Also, as Kathleen has mentioned many times before, it would be beneficial to also see the endings they loved the most (the ones they felt the strongest satisfaction from) and why.

Thanks for posting this, posulliv.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy Hammer
Member # 8139

- posted      Profile for Betsy Hammer   Email Betsy Hammer         Edit/Delete Post 
That was fun to read. I love lists.
Posts: 316 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting.

I've been thinking about voice lately, and first lines are a great way to get a sense of voice, or lack thereof. Here's the first line from my first novel:

"Scott and Jenny waited for Philip as long as they dared."

It's not a particularly bad sentence. And it rings true to the tone of the rest of the novel. But it's never going to end up on anyone's list of favorite first lines. (It was also one of the last sentences I wrote for that novel, by the way)

My favorite opening line is "It is a truth universally acknowledged..." from Pride and Prejudice. So many of these opening lines have intrusive narration--they may be fun to read, but most of us aren't going to be able to get away with it.

Harry Potter starts out with a wide angle lens kind of narration before zooming in on Harry's point of view. It's not with me, so I can't tell you what it says exactly. None of my critiquers has ever liked it when I've tried to employ this same strategy though. I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnbrown
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for johnbrown   Email johnbrown         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'd really like to see the top ten openings (not limited to one line--or thirteen for that matter) as opined by the top agents and/or editors.

I want to be the devil's advocate on this one. Me thinks this would be just as subjective and "useless" as getting the top ten openings from various writers. It's always great to compare preferences--what, he liked that one?!--but in the end, we have to write what excites us and only then try to find the audience with similar tastes. That includes editors and agents, who are as subjective in their tastes as the rest of us.

If you go to the bookstore and library and grab a stack of 30 books and read page one and then chapter one of those with a grabby first page, and then look for patterns with those that did work and those that didn't, you'll get more insight you can use in your writing than you ever would seeing what works for some editor who might or might not be in your audience.

Because these books you've reviewed are published, it's safe to assume that this type of opening will jazz some editor or agent out there. If some of these books have a large audience, it's probably, again, safe to assume your writing will appeal to a good number of folks. You'll just have to execute and then go on the hunt to find those that have sensibilities similar to yours.

I really think that the best thing writers can do is to find the models that do and don't work FOR THEM (characters, plots, beginnings, endings, settings, etc.). Loads of them. Identify the patterns and principles. Then apply. Focus on what YOU care about and believe in. Write the stories YOU love, not the ones Bob XYZ says he likes.

Look at what Stephenie Meyer did. Look at JRR Tolkien. JK Rowling. Lee Child. Bernard Cornwell. Sanderson. They started and wrote from their passion, not from what editors and agents were buying at the time.

You have all the taste expertise you need.

You don't need anyone to tell you what's good and what isn't. You might need a reader or seven with similar sensibilities to help you see if your text is actually delivering the kind of experience you want it to. But as far as identifying what kinds of things work--you've got an excellent meter already built into your own gut and brain. And I'm not talking about response muddied up by some list of supposed writerly rules. I'm talking about what you really like.

[This message has been edited by johnbrown (edited April 29, 2010).]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnbrown
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for johnbrown   Email johnbrown         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My favorite opening line is "It is a truth universally acknowledged..." from Pride and Prejudice. So many of these opening lines have intrusive narration--they may be fun to read, but most of us aren't going to be able to get away with it.

Did you see what you just said up there--"they may be fun to read, but . . ."

Whoa. Stop.

There are NO RULES. None. There's nothing to get away with. There are only effects, the principles of creating those effects, and your ability to deliver. There is only what pulls a specific set of readers in and what doesn't.

If it's fun for you, that's all you need. It will be fun for others. Writing is not about following rules. It's about delivering effects. If you write a fun opening with an intrusive narrator, then the people who like that stuff will gobble it up, including editors and agents. And there are a lot of current readers who love it.

Go read the first page of the recently released THE BRASS VERDICT by best-seller Michael Connelly or THE ENEMY by Lee Child. These beginnings work, not because those authors are Mr. Big Names and can get away with something that doesn't work. On the contrary. These instrusive narrators deliver--they're fun, intriguing, compelling. I had to read on. I couldn't stop. And, obviously, others feel the same way. Otherwise, these books wouldn't sell in the numbers they do. Go read those openings. Did they work for you? If so, then they work. End of story.

TRUST YOUR OWN TASTE Focus on effect. Learn the principles of delivering effect. Effect and your ability to deliver--that's all there is.

My two cents.

[This message has been edited by johnbrown (edited April 29, 2010).]

Posts: 327 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.