Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » ?

Author Topic: ?
XD3V0NX
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
What is a manuscript at 15,000 words classified as? Short Story or Novella? I've never been too certain about this. It would be Novella, wouldn't it? A short story is usually under...8,000 words, I think?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Note the use of the word guideline at the top of the page.

http://www.fictionfactor.com/articles/wordcount.html

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

- posted      Profile for TrishaH24   Email TrishaH24         Edit/Delete Post 
Is this Jealousy Kills? (Holds breath and crosses fingers.)

At 15,000 words, it's a novelette. It becomes a Novella after 20,000 words I think.

Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XD3V0NX
unregistered

Unfortunately, my dear Trisha, this is not "Jealousy Kills". I haven't worked on that in awhile, but I will. I sort of got irritated with it, after I kept having to redo the point of view. It's really bothering me. I want to work on it again, I really do, and no, I will not give up on it. In fact, what I might do is, in time, set a date for when I want it to be finished. That way I will finish it, because I usually do finish anything I do when a date is set. I might work on just "Jealousy Kills" for an entire week, and that will catch me up greatly (I don't know if I said those last few words correctly lol)
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

lol, I think you said that okay. I understood what you meant, anyway. Let me know if there is something else you need critiqued (I'm scared to tackle Eye of a Shadow because it's so long and I don't know how long it would take me, but I'm up for it if you need.) I'm going on vacation to the midwest at the end of May, but in the meantime I've got basically nothing to do. (Well, I could write, I suppose...lol)

If your 15,000 word novelette is a horror, you might check this web site out for a possible market for publication: http://horror.fictionfactor.com/anthos.html

I don't know a whole lot about them, so don't get mad if they aren't a good fit!

If it's sci-fi, you can google DAW anthologies. And then (of course) if it sci-fi or fantasy, you could submit to Writers of the Future. Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by TrishaH24 (edited May 03, 2010).]

Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XD3V0NX
unregistered

I understand where you're coming from: "Eye of a Shadow", as I have already been told, is a bit on the long side, which also makes it intimidating. I plan on working on a lot of "Eye of a Shadow" over the next couple of days, so once I fix the setting and "TRY" to fix the opening, I'll send you some of it. I've already gotten one reviewer, who, after reading over the first twenty pages, offered to take a look at more. After I tear apart the beginning again, not all of it, only the most nessessary, I'll send some your way. =]
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
And here I've been calling my 12,250 word story a novella. So it's actually a novellete?
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

Crystal,
A novella is between 20,000 and 50,000 words. So if you have 12,000 words, it's still considered a novelette, yes.

XD3V0NX
unregistered

I never knew that lol I completely jumped over novellette and thought that right after a short story was a novella. Hm. Looks like I learned something.
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Both the Hugo and the Nebula use the following length definitions:

Short Story: less than 7,500 words
Novelette: at least 7,500 words but less than 17,500 words
Novella: at least 17,500 words but less than 40,000 words
Novel: 40,000 words or more

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.