Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Formatting question

Author Topic: Formatting question
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
For my wotf story, I have my MC post to an online forum (like 5 seperate posts all at once). In standard manuscript format, what is the best way to set that apart? Do I change fonts? Indent? Increase right margin? Italics? Thanks!
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
In Vernor Vinge's FIRE UPON THE DEEP there is a lot of "internet" communication, and if I remember correctly, the publisher used a different font.

I don't know what he did in the manuscript, however--probably a style sheet, and that may be the best way to do it.

What you could also try is to format it more like a play script, where you have the name of the "poster" first with a colon as punctuation, and then what the poster posted.

USERNAME: And this is what I think about that.

That format is different enough from the regular text that it should be clear what you are doing. (Indenting such "posts" might be a good idea as well.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy Hammer
Member # 8139

- posted      Profile for Betsy Hammer   Email Betsy Hammer         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure about this at all, but I think OSC told us in the writing class to center it and shrink the font to size 10. It was a long time ago, though, so don't trust me. He may have been talking about something else.
Posts: 316 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
I would treat each post as a block quote. Start with a standard line break. Indent half an inch on both sides for the text of the forum post (including any post headers such as topic, date & author) and then another standard line break at the end of each forum post. After the final post, stop the extra indenting.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on the block quote thing. The tech-editor will figure out how it should work in print.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks!
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.