Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » advice on advice

Author Topic: advice on advice
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
An impressionable teen sent me a story she wrote because she knows I write. It was about 500 words and is better than I expected, but it isn't my cup of tea. I don't have enough of an appreciation on mainstream fiction to offer her much help (aside from basic story construction).

Aside from Duotrope and Ralan's, does anyone here know of good online resources (like a mainstream Hatrack would be sweet)?

Also, any advice on how to say "No, I don't like this, but you should keep at it but it is good," without sounding like a giant butt (lost cause, I'm sure, but I thought I'd try). I want to encourage writing, not discourage it.

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's Nathan Brandsford's formula for comments on his blog:

quote:
Feel free to add your own two cents, but remember the sandwich method: positive, extremely polite constructive criticism (and I mean it), positive.

I don't think you can go far wrong with that.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Just say that the genre or story type isn't to your taste, but you feel the technical and construction aspects definitely show promise, or words to that effect.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't even mention that you don't like that kind of story because it won't help her become a better writer. Are you trying to stop her from giving you more things to read? If so I would come up with a different excuse such as, "I don't read these kind of stories so I don't think I'm the right person to help you."

In commenting on the story, I would say something like this. "Wow! This is really awesome. If you keep working on writing I bet you could become an author someday." Then point out what she does well and tell her why and how she did it well. "I love how you made Mrs. Clara come alive here with these details." Then if there is something you want to help her with point it out gently and positively. "Be careful about using too many -ly words. See how if we take out that word the sentence becomes even better than it was?"

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
does anyone here know of good online resources (like a mainstream Hatrack would be sweet)?

They are out there. Absolute Write is the only one that comes to mind at the moment, but I know there are others.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I second recommending absolute write. It is a large community with every genre and then some. It also has a lot of teens on the boards, so I think this girl would fit right in. There is a password protected share your work board, so she can post a part of it there and get some really good feedback.

As far as what to tell her, my advice is to give her praise and gentle criticism on her prose and tell her you can't really advise her on the story since you haven't read enough in that genre to know what works and what doesn't.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.