Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Autopsy for writers

Author Topic: Autopsy for writers
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
I just stumbled across this site, where a pathologist explains the autopsy procedure for screenwriters because of all the errors usually made in popular fiction.

In case anyone is doing medical dramas or mysteries...

http://web2.airmail.net/uthman/Autop.html

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayazman
Member # 2818

- posted      Profile for jayazman   Email jayazman         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that was detailed. Glad I don't have that job.

Very informative though. Now I won't be able to watch a TV show or movie that has an autopsy without seeing if they do it correctly.

Thanks for the link, Teraen.

Posts: 212 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw one of those "reality" autopsy shows the other day...I mean, in the first one, you could tell it was the actor from the "dramatic recreations" just holding his breath for a few seconds...and in the second, the coroner made a big deal about the smell of the corpse, to the point of a near-moon-suit surgical garb donning---then does the autopsy without wearing so much as a surgical mask!

Moral: don't go by the TV shows...dig a little deeper...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
One of the problems with this sort of thing is about reader expectation. There is a meme, if you will, of what people expect to happen in an autopsy (because they are exposed to it so much on TV) and if you deviate from it - even if your deviation is far more realistic - some of your readers may actually be alienated.

But I'm still bookmarking that link

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.