Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Most pretentious story you ever wrote.

Author Topic: Most pretentious story you ever wrote.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
In college I wrote a story that my very literary professor loved. I was thinking about it yesterday, and it makes me laugh.
I thought it might be fun to hash out those old stories, and hear the elevator pitch for them.

For example, my most pretentious story is...

A girl contemplates suicide over the death of her cat.

Oh man, even now it makes me laugh that my professor loved that story.

Anyway, I would love to hear yours.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It's probably better to reach for the stars than just rolling around in the mud, but, still...

I remember once writing a story about dragons, fire, and the dragons themselves stealing fire from somebody. Only I didn't just write it as a story...I tried to write it like it was a chapter in a book in some kind of Bible, like it was a holy legend.

This was a long time ago, and I didn't know way enough to handle doing anything that way...I think I submitted it somewhere, to my great embarrassment now, but my records are so disorganized these days I can't look it up...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I had a winning idea once. A sci-fi about a corporation leaving Earth to start their own nation on an asteroid.

What made it pretentious is I wrote it as series of newspaper articles and news blubs set in chronological order.

Thought I had something. It became a string of info-dumps and little else.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geronl
Member # 9156

- posted      Profile for geronl   Email geronl         Edit/Delete Post 
Snapper. I tried that very same thing with the very same kind of story and it didn't go anywhere. I gave up very quickly.
Posts: 41 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
An editor said I "risked sounding elitist" in a particular flash. The elevator pitch: A writer searching for inspiration finds it in an alien jail. Anyone here who wants to read the flash may email me. I don't need or want a critique; the story was trunked after several rejections and a friend belatedly telling me that the story is awful.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post 
Present tense, second-person POV, main character was a dog. Seemed like a good idea at the time ...
Posts: 968 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.