Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Who are the 'Big Three'

Author Topic: Who are the 'Big Three'
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, total newbie question, but in several recent posts people have referenced the 'Big Three'

I'm assuming they mean publishers, but who is (are?) this mysterious trio? And what makes them so special?

How do you personally decide which publishers to try?

Probably this has been answered a number of times, but I appreciate your patience.
Thanks!

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Asimov's, Analog and the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction.

They are pro paying markets that have been around forever. Sadly, of them only Asimov's takes E-subs and that only recently. Kind of funny since Analog is also a magazine of science fact, and yet they are so far behind the times.

They are really the "big three" of science fiction though...Asimov's and Analog only take sci fi, no fantasy horror etc...on the Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction does.

Edit: As for how to choose where to submit, thats mostly a personal thing and depends a lot on your particular goals. I recomend Duotrope's Digest for searching markets. I don't have a lot of time now but I'd be glad to share my knowledge of terminology and what I've learned about different markets...feel free to email me should you so desire.

[This message has been edited by Merlion-Emrys (edited July 30, 2010).]

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
When I think of publishers I think of the "Big Six": Hachette, HarperCollins, MacMillan, Penguin, Random House, and Simon and Schuster. Each of the Big Six are the parent companies of other publishers. MacMillan owns Tor, Random owns Crown, etc.

Maybe you're thinking of "The Big Three," as in Asimov, Clark, and Heinlein?

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
"The Big Three" in most SF conversations these days, are as follows:

ANALOG SCIENCE FICTION & FACT
editor: Stanley Schmidt
publisher: Dell Magazines

ASIMOV'S SCIENCE FICTION
editor: Sheila Williams
publisher: Dell magazines

FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION
editor: Gordon Van Gelder
publisher: editor owned and operated

Of course, these are not the only short SF markets that pay pro rate. They're just the ones which have been around the longest, still get the most Name pro writers in them, and earn a lot of awards and award nominations for both editing and fiction.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
For anyone who thinks Asimov's only takes science fiction, I'd suggest you read Kij Johnson's "26 Monkeys, Also The Abyss" (it's available online there). World Fantasy Award winner, nominated for both Hugo and Nebula, and won the Asimov reader's award for good measure.

Whatever that story is, it's not science fiction. I'm not saying the Asimov's will take sword and sorcery, or vampire erotica, but their definition of SF is clearly on the broad side.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Tchernabyelo is right. According to the Asimov's guidelines: "Borderline fantasy is fine, but no Sword & Sorcery, please."

Based on what I've read in the magazine, they don't publish high fantasy/secondary-world fantasy.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
When I started there were five...and Asimov's had yet to start. Three of those are gone completely. Apparently the SF market can only handle three "Big Three" magazines at a time.

Not that they're very big---look at their subscription base numbers. Not that they pay very much---compare their rates to what non-SF magazines pay, fiction or non-fiction. Not that they're that professional---again, compare them to other magazines, or, better yet, compare them to SF magazines published back thirty or forty years ago.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, "borderline fantasy" doesn't tell one much. They say no "sword and sorcery" and from what I know of them I'm pretty sure they wouldn't take urban fantasy in the "Dresden files" vein with direct magic use and all that. They are listed on Duotrope as a science fiction market. What they call "borderline fantasy" is probably something along the lines of "slipstream." They definitely aren't a hard sci fi market, but I can't imagine them even considering straightforward stories where magic or the supernatural are key elements. I could be wrong though.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Non-fiction article word rate has always paid more than fiction short story word rate. I don't know why anyone is having such a problem with that. Anyone who is overly upset at how much fiction markets pay, would do better to submit non-fiction to the non-fiction markets.

I won't speak for Asimovs or SF&F, but it's been my experience that Dr. Schmidt and Co. of ANALOG are the epitomy of professional. Selling to them has been a very pleasant experience. Stan gets first look at all my stuff now, and whether he buys it or not, he always provides specific critique. I've proven to him that I am a commodity worth developing. The budding relationship is one of cooperation.

Again, if you can swallow some pride and knock a chip or two off your shoulders, you can do well with a market. All it takes is using SMF and comporting yourself professionally, plus turning in a half decent story, and the editors will begin to pay attention to you as someone worthwhile.

Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.