Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Space stuffs

Author Topic: Space stuffs
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
So I lost my notes on the short story I am writing (Curses!) and I can't remember which moon I picked.

Does anyone know the moon (around Saturn or Jupiter, I think) that has an icy crust of ammonia and carbon dioxide?

Wikipedia is only partially useful here...

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Strychnine
Member # 9207

- posted      Profile for Strychnine   Email Strychnine         Edit/Delete Post 
are you thinking of Europa?
Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RationalDelirium
Member # 9019

- posted      Profile for RationalDelirium   Email RationalDelirium         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Titan? Though that has seas of liquid methane. Not so sure about the consistency of its crust.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSchuler
Member # 8970

- posted      Profile for JSchuler   Email JSchuler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd place my money on Callisto. It actually has a (very very thin) CO2 atmosphere.
Posts: 388 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
See what I mean? Hard to get info. Its one of those moons that has FROZEN ammonia and carbon dioxide on it. Almost everything I can find involves atmosphere. Its frustrating to no end!
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSchuler
Member # 8970

If it has frozen CO2, it will likely also have a CO2 atmosphere. Same thing as Earth, which has a lot of water vapor in its atmosphere, but still has water ice.

The thing about Callisto is its atmosphere is so thin, it wouldn't last long (and I'm not geologically speaking here) unless there was something generating it. Sublimating dry ice would do it.

As far as frozen ammonia, nearly every moon around Jupiter and Saturn has that.

Posts: 388 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
You are likely thinking of Titan. To quote Wikipedia:

quote:
Titan's watery magma would be denser than its solid icy crust. This means that cryovolcanism on Titan would require a large amount of additional energy to operate, possibly via tidal flexing from nearby Saturn. Alternatively, the pressure necessary to drive the cryovolcanoes may be caused by ice Ih "underplating" Titan's outer shell. The low-pressure ice, overlaying a liquid layer of ammonium sulfate, ascends buoyantly, and the unstable system can produce dramatic plume events. Titan is resurfaced through the process by grain-sized ice and ammonium sulfate ash, which helps produce a wind-shaped landscape and sand dune features.

Hope this helps:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_%28moon%29#Surface_features

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSchuler
Member # 8970

Except the ammonia is liquid, and it sounds like whatever makes it to the surface reacts with sulfuric acid and becomes ammonium sulfate (which is a solid, not a liquid, and therefore not ice). Finding pure frozen ammonia on the surface of Titan sounds about as natural as finding pure iron on the surface of Earth.

Plus, Titan is such a weird duck that the flavor of shaved ice on its beaches probably wouldn't make the postcard.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.