Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Do you think this is a form letter?

Author Topic: Do you think this is a form letter?
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
Today I was very happy to receive my most encouraging rejection so far. I'm just not sure whether to enter it as "form" or "personal" on duotrope (I'm having fun using that submissions tracker thing). What do you folks think?
quote:
I found something really compelling in this one -- kept it through more than a couple rounds of reading. So sorry it's not making the cut.

Thanks again for allowing us to consider your work! We really appreciate it.

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
That looks like either a personal rejection or an upper-tier form. Some magazines will use a different form letter for submissions that reach a certain point in the process. Whatever else it is, the wording of this rejection is a good sign.

By the way, if you're not comfortable sharing the name of the market so that the folks here can tell you what their rejections said, then consider searching for "[market] form rejection". Many editors and experienced submitters post form wording online.

*Edited to remove a stutter.

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited August 18, 2010).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Oh yeah. I guess the publication name would be helpful. It was Abyss & Apex.
Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveR
Member # 9128

- posted      Profile for SteveR   Email SteveR         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi.

I'd certainly call this a personal rejection. They have an encouraging form letter, yes, but this one is more specific and personal.

I hope your next sub gets all the way through. You caught someone's attention with this one. Nice job.

Steve

Posts: 64 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Having submitted to Abyss and Apex a number of times, I'd call this personal. Every rejection I've recieved from them has been the same except for the presence or absence of the phrase "it was well recieved here" (most of them have it, like 2 out of six didn't.)

I've never seen what you posted here so as aspirit said its either very high form or personal...and since I've never seen one of their form letters contain "I"...

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say give yourself a little encouragement and file it in the personal rejection folder
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
As a veteran of A&A (two acceptances and I think nine rejections to date) I can tell you that's definitely personal.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Thanks for the info everyone

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.