Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Transitioning to Dream Sequence

Author Topic: Transitioning to Dream Sequence
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
In the novel I am working on, Chapter 3 ends with the MC being induced into sleeping. I want to start Chapter 4 with the dream that he has while asleep. I can't make up my mind on how to start this chapter.

On the one hand, I could start by stating he is in a dream, but wouldn't that be putting me in the omni-POV? It has the advantage of clearly showing the reader that a dream sequence is about to be described.

On the other hand, I could start inside the dream sequence. My concern here is that it may confuse the reader until the MC wakes from the dream and then it'll be obvious that he is dreaming.

I'm leaning towards one of these options, but am wondering if anyone else has dealt with this sort of question?

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ken S
Member # 9010

- posted      Profile for Ken S   Email Ken S         Edit/Delete Post 
You could make it a jarring transition..like one minute the MC is in their bed, all snuggled in and starting to drift off, and off and then they are flying (or falling!)or whatever. I've also seen it done where the dream sequence is italicized to set it apart from the rest of the text.
Posts: 50 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
My thought was italicized.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KoDe Nichols
Member # 7884

- posted      Profile for KoDe Nichols   Email KoDe Nichols         Edit/Delete Post 
You could have the character reallize that he's dreaming. Or you could just say "That night, Character dreamed that..." at the start of a chapter or new section its okay. I don't think you need to go to extraordinary measures to make a smooth transition
Posts: 60 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DerekBalsam
Member # 8471

- posted      Profile for DerekBalsam   Email DerekBalsam         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't recall ever being confused by a dream sequence, though. Either it was obvious that it was a dream from the content, or the next chapter eventually revealed that it was a dream. I say just go for it, and assume your readers will understand that it's a dream.
Posts: 67 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Make sure the MC isn't wearing pants, that's a sure sign of a dream. Or have a pink swan sitting on his head. Just do something to play the uncanny to the hilt, so there is no question.

Italics are used to great effect in the Bronze Canticles by Tracy and Laura Hickman. (In those books the dreams are quite important so it's important that we know right away it's a dream.)

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Thanks all. I'm gonna go with the "make something impossible happen" in the dream so it will be obvious. Something I read somewhere said to avoid long sequences of italicized text if possible, so I try to use it only for internal dialogue/thoughts.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
How about calling it "Chapter 4: The Dream" instead of just plain "Chapter 4"?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

Thanks Kathleen, all my chapters have names and I was in fact thinking of doing just that.

The dream is actually in the context of something more important that is occurring. I was planning to use the name of that something else for the chapter. Still, I might do that.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.