Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » New Challenge with rare prize

Author Topic: New Challenge with rare prize
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Looking for a reason to write? Wondering how you measure up to your fellow writer? Would you like to win something, like the newest book from the Writers of the Future anthology? Wondering when someone was going to throw a new challenge? Then look no further!

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum7/HTML/000178.html

Big prize that will help feed Skadder's and Brad T's ego! Go check it out!

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What if your excuse is not having time to read and judge all the other entries?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

well, that is an excuse. I only disqualified one excuse you can use.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds interesting. But if their stories are in the book, can we get it autographed by them?

and is there a minimum? I looked for one but I can miss things like that.

And is it possible to do both triggers?

And this is probably a Duh, but does it have to be a new story?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Doh! You are making me change the rules, LD. One submission, please. But you can use both triggers if it makes you happy.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Snapper, that is what I meant actually. Sorry I wasn't clearer.

But does it have to be a new story. I don't have any old ones with either trigger but if I did I would tempted to use it.

And I will see about writing a story. Got two novels I'm working on to finish. Another one I'm just doing the first chapter, now. Plus another half a dozen ideas, three to finish and three to redo.

Actually I shouldn't be here I should be writing but this is interesting

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
What if your excuse is not having time to read and judge all the other entries?

This actually raises an interesting issue. Purely theoretical of course (I don't think it's going to happen to this challenge for various reasons) but what if several people enter these challenges so as to get free critiques, without any intention of doing a critique themselves? In the past, the crits have been posted under the first-13 as they arrive, so there's nothing to stop someone exploiting the challenge in this way.

(Not to say I think anyone here would intentionally do it, but thanks to my day job I'm used to looking at things this way...)

[This message has been edited by BenM (edited September 02, 2010).]

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
But does it have to be a new story? I don't have any old ones with either trigger but if I did I would tempted to use it.

I will leave that up to you. We did a contest recently where one of the contestants reused a story they wrote for a previous contest (Hmmmm, wish I could remember who that author was). His excuse was it fit the contest and he valued the feedback these contests received. Another contestant recognized it, called him out on it, and he was penalized in the voting process. My contention is this contest is mostly for kicks, however, there is a prize and if someone recognizes yoru story as something they read before it could cost you.
Aside from a word count and limitations on how many times you can submit (one), the only real rule is one of plagiarism. If you wrote it, then I am fine with that.

quote:
what if several people enter these challenges so as to get free critiques, without any intention of doing a critique themselves? In the past, the crits have been posted under the first-13 as they arrive, so there's nothing to stop someone exploiting the challenge in this way.

Then shame on them. Almost every contest has one or two contestants that fail to live up to their obligations. It happens, life can be crazy, you know. Most of the time they make up for it and throw in a crit, sometimes they let us down. What can you do?
Suffice to say you can't win if you don't do your part. Voting will be kept secret so there isn't much of a worry about someone quiting and taking their ball home in the middle of the game because they don't like how the outcome is turning out. We are a friendly writers workshop, but most members tend to tolerate getting burned once. So a warning, if you are after receiving a free critique without recipocating, it will likely be the only you'll ever get on hatrack. Of course, we are forgiving, we'll likely cut anyone that had a good reason a break.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited September 02, 2010).]

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I am planning on having a baby sometime between September 28-Oct 20. I figure the odds of me flaking out on the critting part are a bit too high so while I have an idea for the prompt (a story has been missing a piece for like 6 months and when I thought about the prompt, suddenly, it all clicked together beautifully) I am going to sit this one out.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Thanks for the response.

I don't think anyone here has seen any of my stories, perhaps one-hopefully everyone has seen that one -but with the possible exception of one to three people no one here has seen my stuff. And I haven't posted any 13 line openings yet, but as I said I don't have one with either trigger.

But speaking of triggers. Tonight as I set out to plan a story I thought oops better double check and make sure that I'm right about what a trigger is. I've gotten into trouble for assuming things even things I was positive about.

I'm setting out to do a short one since I don't have time to write a 3,990 word story along with my other writing but we shall see, the stories don't always behave.

snapper
Member # 7299

Hey TY,

Having a baby clearly falls in the area of us giving you a break. If you have an idea my suggestion is to write it and join in the fun. Who knows? Your baby could arrive in the later part of Oct. That could be enough time for you to do your part.
We're a writers workshop. This is an opportunity to see how you measure up and a possible inspiration to write. Go for it. If you can't live up to your voting obligations then we'll be fine with it.

BTW, congrats on the upcoming arrival

TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I will probably try writing the story and see how things are looking Sept30 and then decide. The other problem, this story might be a bit too much for 4k-it is feeling like a 7ker to me. But need to write it to see.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
One mustn't forget that 4K words is the upper limit. The lower limit is one (although I don't recommend that word count).

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

Sometimes a short word count just makes it harder though.
snapper
Member # 7299

bump
snapper
Member # 7299

The first entries are up...

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum7/HTML/000179.html

Deadline is the end of the month. Plenty of time to join in.

BTW, our two winning authors are going to put their signature in the book, which is very nice...

snapper
Member # 7299

Got a nice start. 7 entries so far. You have 12 days to get yours in.

Thanks to Tracy, Adam, and Brad for making this possible.

snapper
Member # 7299

A few days left. Write, write, write.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
The anthology hasn't arrived yet.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

That's a concern
tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
I apologize, I was out of town and got side tracked by other family things. It was air mailed today. Should be there by Wednesday. Sorry for the delay.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Oooo, airmailed?

Thank you very much Tracy but you didn't have to do that. Snailmail would have been fine. Still a longway away before we pick a winner.

I do appreciate you doing this. You are the best.

3 days left everyone. If you need a little bit of time before the deadline, drop me a line. I am flexible for a few hours.

tnwilz
Member # 4080

- posted      Profile for tnwilz   Email tnwilz         Edit/Delete Post 
Well actually the book was a gift from WOTF. What really makes it of value is Brad and Adam signing it. I only had one small job and pretty much screwed that up lol. So don't thank me, thank Adam and Brad. Still it's all good fun in the end.
Posts: 556 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't 'aving a go. I was just concerned it may have got lost in the post...Something I ordered from ebay (from Hong Kong) never arrived despite them sending it twice.

Thanks, Tracy.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

A matter of hours left. Hurry, hurry, hurry...

Oh, and I believe I managed to snag a third signature for the book. Laurie Tom has been receptive and has been keeping track of your little competition. The gold award winner sure will look nice.

Now get to it!!!

Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Will she be contributing (if rules allow us to know who is contributing) If not, will she be a guest judge? (Same question re Brad and Adam?)

Edit to change gender. Sorry Laurie :/

[This message has been edited by Brendan (edited October 01, 2010).]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

I wouldn't acknowledge who is or isn't in the challenge.

However, Ms Tom is not a member of hatrack (I believe) but has caught our little contest.

Running out of time folks. I usually get an avalanche about now.

snapper
Member # 7299

Time is up! Time to vote. For complete rules just click the link.

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum7/HTML/000178.html

snapper
Member # 7299

Round 1 done! On to round 2.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.