Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Personalized Response?

Author Topic: Personalized Response?
XD3V0NX
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, so I got a letter back from Cemetary Moon magazine.

The story I'd sent out was "Under the Surface"

This is what it said:

Thank you for your submission.

I apologize for the delay in response time, which is due, in part, to the overwhelming amount of submissions.

At this time I will have to pass on your story, though I encourage you to send more submissions my way.

Thanks again for the opportunity to view your work.

Chris

I am not an expert on the subject, not yet anyway, but the key line in this is "I encourage you to send more submissions my way" - I would imagine that is a personalized response, though I've not received one before. That is a good thing, isn't it?

[This message has been edited by XD3V0NX (edited September 29, 2010).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, basically it is a step above a form rejection. They are telling you that the particular story didn't work for them, but are strong enough a writer to be published in their magazine.

So yes, take encouragement

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not familiar with the specific market so I can't comment. It's a rare market, though, that will actively solicit more submissions unless they mean it, since most markets are swamped.

Be aware, though, that some markets have a number of different "form" responses, or form responses into which they can slot an additional comment or a few words to make things look more personal than they actually are.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

- posted      Profile for TrishaH24   Email TrishaH24         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why an agent or publisher would actively encourage people to submit stories to them if they are not at least intrigued by the story. That story wasn't for them. But you're their kind of writer. Hit them up again. You never know what might happen!

Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.