Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Harry Potter Plagiarism Case...

Author Topic: Harry Potter Plagiarism Case...
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
You can find infor with a google search, this report is one which leans in Rowling's favor--I've read several accounts--but it's interesting to note that the case hasn't simply been dropped (like others).

Then again, it makes me wonder if it is a publicity stunt. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 is scheduled for release in November. How bad is that? Like they needed a part 1 and 2.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
So the basis of the claim is he sent a novel with a wizard competition and trains to the same agent. And the agent claims he never saw it, probably because it didn't make it past slush.
Even if he saw it, ideas aren't copyrightable. If his train stopped at platform nine and three quarters, and his competition involved stealing eggs from dragons, saving people from merpeople, and fighting each other through a hedgemaze, the possibly there is something there.
Next are the Tolkein people going to go after the grandfather of all spiders?

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I must admit the moment I saw the cover of the first Harry Potter book, and read the back cover copy, it reminded me of Neil Gaiman's "The Books Of Magic" and Timothy Hunter - young bespectacled protagonist discovers he's a powerful wizard, has an owl familiar... but realistically, there are really NOT that many combinations of things out there and similarities are from time to time inevitable.

The idea behind this lawsuit appears to be that an agent would read a submission, think it had merit, and then ask another author to use those ideas. To me that is frankly... odd.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
The basis of the claim is that Rowling's agent had access to the 'Willy' manuscript and that there are substantial similarities between the books. The judge cannot dismiss the complaint if there is an actual issue of fact in question.

Since the Jacob's estate overcame the first hurdle (showing they are copyright owners of 'Willy,' that defendants had access to 'Willy' and that there are some similarities between the two), now the court gets to determine if those similarities are in fact substantial and if so, how much was plagiarized.

tchernabyelo - When I first heard about Harry Potter I immediately thought of 'The Worst Witch.' I used to watch it every Halloween. Tim Curry was great as The Grand Wizard.

[This message has been edited by redux (edited October 17, 2010).]

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.