Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Blog Writing and Fiction Writing

Author Topic: Blog Writing and Fiction Writing
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
I started a blog (just one post at the moment) in hopes of helping me focus on my fiction writing.

For those who already have blogs, do you find that it helps you write and stay motivated?

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL - I mostly find it hard to keep the blog up.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I update my writing progress on my blog. So yes, it'a motivation.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a blog---but even writing like this does, I think, keep my mind nimble enough to work on my real writing...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with IB. Mine is hard to keep current. I try to post every week or two, but even that is tough.

Its not that the writing is hard, its just that I forget about it.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a fledgling blog myself. I find it does three things:
1. Keeps me accountable to continue my story (and to repress every urge I have right now to start editing earlier chapters).
2. Informs others about my writing and other subjects of interest to me. It's more of a personal experiment than anything of great value for others.
3. Unfortunately, it also detracts from what I should be writing: my novel!

Now that I have a smartphone, I update the blog when I have those spare moments where I ordinarily would be doing nothing or playing solitaire on my old phone.

Faithfatherhoodandfiction.blogspot.com

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izanobu
Member # 9314

- posted      Profile for izanobu           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure mine helps me stay motivated, but it is definitely an outlet for things I'm thinking about. I think being broke is the best writing motivation

But my blog has slowly become a place where I get to interact with other neo-pro writers and vent writing issues that my friends probably don't want to hear about and wouldn't understand anyway. So it's useful that way

(overactive.wordpress.com is mine)

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
The same "butt-in-chair" discipline that it takes to blog every day is the same discipline it takes to write every day. It's a good thing.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
You write blog every day?

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited December 22, 2010).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for all the replies. Now I have extra reading! I'll be lurking on your blogs now
Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! Maybe we should start a post where all of the blog links can live. I love lurking on Hatracker's blogs from time to time. What section should it be in, though?

PS - I hope this doesn't seem like I'm hijacking your thread.

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
coralm, every so often someone starts a topic on blogs and blogging, and people list links to their blogs.

If you do a search on the word "blog" in the subjects of the topics in the Open Discussions about Writing area, you should find most of those lists.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! I should have thought of doing a search first
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it helps me maintain accountability. I also find that it helps me keep track of myself. For example, I have a private section that only I can view that lets me add notes and thoughts whenever I want. I think of a cool new scene while I'm at work, I can make note of it in that section.

My site:
www.mikelambson.com

[This message has been edited by MikeL (edited December 01, 2010).]

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Don't know if anyone is still interested in this but here's a Newsletter that has a section dealing with four ways to better blogging. It deals with a class on blogging but the short section gives the four ways. You have to scroll down a bit to find that section.

http://view.writers-community.com/?j=fefa1079766500&m=fe9b15707463077575&ls=fe5c15777560017b7c17&l=ff64117271&s=fe8f1770706d067a73&jb=ffcf14&ju=fec91c727666027c&et_mid=49314&rid=30 59276&r=0

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.