Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » writing process and world building - what to do?

Author Topic: writing process and world building - what to do?
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I am working on a fantasy novel. I have a broad brush of my entire plot and a rudimentary map and idea of the nation's inhabitants. So I get about 10k words in and am starting to think I haven't done enough worldbuilding. But as I try to do more worldbuilding, I realize I don't have a detailed enough plot- just a vision for the general beginning, middle and end of the story.

So in this canundrum I find myself wanting to bounce back and forth between worldbuilding and writing. Does anyone else have this issue? Any thoughts on how to progress through this? In case there are any doubts, yes, this is my first novel.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyegore242
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for eyegore242   Email eyegore242         Edit/Delete Post 
to be honest i have pretty much the exact opposite for a problem most of the time, when i start to right its just some strange little notion i get about something and i never really know where the story is going to go till it gets there.

i have all kinds of strange worlds running around in my skull, so when i get a weird what if idea i just toss it into the world that fits it best and see where it goes.

Your working on a novel, and i imagine you haven't already sold it so your not really working on a deadline. so world building should more than likely come first. but it really depends on how the little story building midgets in your skull like to work.

[This message has been edited by eyegore242 (edited December 06, 2010).]

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what I do is have a separate file that has all my "worldbuilding stuff" in it. When something occurs to me about the world as I'm writing I just tab over there and type it up to get it out of my head. Otherwise I tend to just keep thinking of those details as I'm trying to concentrate on writing. I don't do much worldbuilding in advance beyond vague impressions. I'm hoping that is something I will improve at over time.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very easy to get wrapped up in world building to the extent that you never actually get around to writing about the world you have created.

I try to create a rough world and flesh it out as I go, only really detailing those bits I need for the current plot.

Try plotting your story first, bullet point it or write a paragraph that details each scene, then world build what you need to put some meat on it.

The structured approach doesn't work for everyone, but I find it best to have an outline. You don't have to follow it to the letter, it can change and flow as you go, but it will stop you wandering about aimlessly.

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I'd be interested in how other people do it, but I always say inspiration is where you find it. By all means do some worldbuilding exercises, and if it helps you pull things together, great. If it doesn't spark anything, continue doing whatever makes you productive and return to it later.

I think most people start with one thing that's easy and rewarding for them to work on until they have a substantial body of work done. For me its dialog. I'm constantly going back and replacing dialog because there's so much of it is blows a fuse in the reader's brain.

I think this is a common kind of problem in the manuscripts I've critiqued; they're strong in one area (plot, or worldbuilding or characterization) but weak in others. The one thing I'd say is if you're not a plotter by nature, you want to grab that bull by the horns before you've written a novel full of whatever is easy for you but still have no story. Plot is *very* hard to retrofit to some arbitrary collection of 100K words. It may be the hardest thing of all to retrofit.

You should probably pay attention to various aspects of the manuscript (like worldbuilding) as it comes together, but if you get to one third or half of your finished manuscript size and still don't have a plot, you're in trouble. If it looks like you're in trouble, and you still can't lay out a plot, then approaching it obliquely through worldbuilding, character studies and so forth might help.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to work in the way that works best for you. Of course, the problem at first is finding out what that is.

If it helps, David Farland puts it like this.

Setting (world building) first, because character grows out of the setting. What your character knows, his opinions, his job, his education, his experiences, who he knows, likes, and is related to all come out of the setting.

Then the character because the conflict grows out of the character.

The conflict, of course, is what becomes your plot.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on a fantasy piece right now. I have some of the worldbuilding done but I do the fine print while I write. I try several options, see what works best. Sometimees I let the story force me to make a decision and it's usually a good one.

My advice: take an existing world (real or fantasy, doesn't matter) from someone else and then try tweaking the detail. You should not use this world for writing because you can easily make things similar which readers might recognize. This world is to practice what works and what would you change in an already existing setting. When you do work on your own world, use the experience you got.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited December 06, 2010).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I usually world build as I go. I like a little flexibility at the beginning.

I usually start with an idea and think of what kind of person would do this and/or what kind of world could this be happen in.

By the time I start writing, I have a rough outline of the plot and a vague idea of characters and setting, and I develop those as I write.

I think my system works.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Take my advice.
I'm not using it....

Nothing works for anybody. What I do won't work for you, and what works for you won't work for me. there is usually two methods for every author in existence. they work in certain situations and not in others.

I am not one to plan out the background in detail before I start writing. I do have two plotting systems. One is to blast out a rough story to see how the plotting will work out. this is my main method.
The other which I don't do often any more is to write each scene as a short sentence. usually not even complete sentences. When I write these, I will either edit them into full scenes, or I would start writing, trying to hit those scenes in my work.

Usually, though I tend to start with a scene or situation, and write something out fast so I have something that resembles a story. If I have a beginning, middle and end to it, then I am on the right track.
I then go back and build more detail into the world that fits the situation I created. Once I have developed some of the details, I correct the story to fit the details I worked out to make the story work.

This does not always work for me, though, as the story may change dramatically.
In my Waxy dragon story series i did, they were blasted out and the rules developed over the sixty some stories. when I went back to actually write the stories, the rules changed, the concept changed, the stories changed. Not one of the stories I have written so far will have any resemblance to what I wrote before, other than the basic plot and even then it will change dramatically.

As I said, nothing works for everybody or every situation. Write a lot and see what works.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there's been a couple of people who have stated what I would say. Every writer is different we have to find what works for us.

I have one novel that takes place on another planet and a fantasy novel-closer to classical fantasy compared to the Urban Fantasy I'm doing now-that is mostly done. In both I formed some ideas of the planet before I started worked but added details as I wrote the story. I knew the planet had less land mass than Earth before I started but designed a poisonous flying snake as I needed something to bite one of the MCs.

With the fantasy I decided, after I started it, to make it an area made up of seven nations that those who live there know about but the rest of the planet is pretty much unexplored.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
You could make up stuff as you go along...but you have to be prepared to come up with things that contradict yourself.

You could make careful written-down notes...but you run the risk of obsessing over them, to the point where you don't write your story.

Actually, I've had both happen to me. These days, I try to keep a happy medium between the two...writing down a few things, but keeping most of it in my head---and fluid---and then a healthy dose of writing something into the story when it comes up.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
With my first completed novel I was vague with the world building, and figured when I finished I could just go back and add stuff in for flavor. But then when I started world building, I realized that in order to integrate all the information I just figured out I would have to rewrite the entire thing.

I think the best thing to do before you start working on a novel is figure out the rules of the world. I'm not saying you need to know what color flag the kingdom has flying, but general rules.

FOR EXAMPLE,
How is power delegated?
If there's magic, how exactly does the magic work, and affect the user?
Status of characters, level of technology, family dynamics, etc.

The rules.

I think once you know the rules, then you can figure out the details as you go along.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.