Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Reading Romances in Public, eek!

Author Topic: Reading Romances in Public, eek!
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
This may seem trollish, but it is not meant that way. Here is a little NYT article about an uptick of ebook sales so that readers can enjoy their romance novels on subways and in restaurants without feeling scorn.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/09/books/09romance.html

I doubt anyone could meaningfully measure that reason for purchasing ebooks unless they were serious researchers. And I imagine that other genre readers may have similar feelings. A science fiction novel in public? Grow up! (Don't yell; I'm biting my own back here.)

I've read that romance is the largest genre seller of all, so why the scorn? All other genres have novels with a heavy romance subplot to them. But if the weight of the romance tips from 49% to 51%, then the book must have a racy cover and be hidden.

There's been a low-tech and cheaper workaround for years, a $1 slip-on cloth book cover.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Frederik Pohl once said the pulp magazines sold in the millions, but you never saw anybody reading any of them in public, or even carrying them around. Who was buying, and what were they doing with them?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
When I was eleven, my family and I visited my grandmother in the hospital. I didn't know it at the time, but she was there to die. I remember when we went into her room, she was reading a romance novel with a picture of a shirtless Fabio wannabe on the cover.

If you knew my grandmother, you'd know how tight laced she was. How she would have to leave the room if someone burped, or said anything even slightly close to the line of inappropriate. I think when she realized she was about to die, she decided to finally live her life unafraid.

It reminds me of this short story I read a while ago, about this Japanese couple. I can't remember what it was called, I'ts been a while. Anyway, the husband did something that brought him dishonor, so he asked his wife to kill him, and then kill herself. The wife agreed, and killed her husband with a sword, and then went throughout her house setting things right, completing her nighttime ritual before going to bed, and as she stands by the front door to lock it, she pauses, and then leaves the door unlocked.

That moment in the story has always resonated with me. That freedom from fear that comes when you've reached the bottom. When you are close to death, there is nothing left to fear. When you've reached the worst, the little worries no longer matter.

hmmm.

So this has nothing to do with romance novels anymore, does it?

What I'm trying to say, is that despite a societal shame placed on lusty romance's, people still buy them. That despite a kind of bad name on sci fi or fantasy novels, they are the most widely written genre. In fact, historically, when you think of novels that have lasted hundreds or thousands of years, most of them could be classified as Genre fiction. Think Shakespeare's Midsummer Night Dream, or the Iliad.

Even Jane Austen, for her time, wrote what wasn't considered high art. She wrote novels for women. I read she was embarrassed by her work, that when ever she had a visitor, she would cover her writing with her embroidery.

I think societal shame and embarrassment over the kind of writing you do is something to get over. I am the kind of writer that I am. I don't care if I never find respect. I can only write the stories that come into my head.

I think the point is to write with what one commentator of Jane Austen's work called, "youthful exuberance." I think the point of good writing is to write like no one else will read it.

In fact, maybe the key to writing well, is to write like you are dying.

See what I did there?
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
posulliv
Member # 8147

- posted      Profile for posulliv   Email posulliv         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a closet full of romance novels, and thank goodness that they're easier to store spine-out. The covers are oftentimes more lurid than the content, and some of the content is quite good writing. (Hey, I'm doing 'research', okay?)

Slipping a book cover over the book makes it look like I have something to hide. Might as well use a brown paper bag. That draws looks.

That's what I hear, anyway. In short, I believe the article.

[This message has been edited by posulliv (edited December 13, 2010).]

Posts: 389 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.