Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Querying Agents

Author Topic: Querying Agents
cynicalpen
Member # 9378

- posted      Profile for cynicalpen           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know what the ratio is for "let me see your manuscript/partial" vs immediate rejections?

I am inexperienced.

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
There are 2 websites that can come in handy: AgentQuery to find agents, and QueryTracker to find statistics on those agents.
Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Anyone know what the ratio is for "let me see your manuscript/partial" vs immediate rejections?

There are way too many variables to make that a useful statistic in itself.

How good is your query letter?

How good a match is the agent for the novel you're trying to sell?

Did they just take on or sell another novel that's too similar to yours?

Is the agent having a good day or a bad day?

You just have to do your very best to come up with the best query letter you can and find agents that are the best match for your story. And yes, even then, you will still get rejections. And you will never know why. You just have to keep on plugging.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cynicalpen
Member # 9378

- posted      Profile for cynicalpen           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks both of you.

My question is more along these hypothetical lines, suppose I am a writer and just submitted several queries. Should an agent ask to see my manuscript, how hopeful of a sign is that? Or is that a pretty standard, semi-meaningless event?

Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Agents don't ask fro partials or fulls unless they are hopeful that the MS will turn out to be saleable. How hopeful will vary according to the workload and personality of the agent.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Any request for a partial or a full is certainly indication of interest. It still may not come to anything, but it certainly is a good sign.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
Judging from a broad swath of comments from numerous sites, I'd guess about 1 positive per 10 negatives for decent work, and a lot higher ratio for sub-par work.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.