Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Waiting Game

Author Topic: The Waiting Game
cynicalpen
Member # 9378

- posted      Profile for cynicalpen           Edit/Delete Post 
If an agent or editor asks for your manuscript and you send it to them for their review, understanding that they are busy people, is there an accepted length of time where you can assume that they've passed on it? After a month? After six months?
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Many agents don't respond to queries if they're not interested. But I haven't heard of an agent yet (not that there aren't any) that doesn't at least send a brief note if they've requested a partial or a full manuscript and then decided to pass. Different agents give different timeframes. If their website says how long it may take, go by that. Otherwise, I'd wait about two months. If I hadn't heard anything by then, I'd send a politely worded note just asking for confirmation that they received the manuscript.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cynicalpen
Member # 9378

- posted      Profile for cynicalpen           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I appreciate the insight. Now what if they'd already acknowledged receipt of the MS, how would you recommend sending the post two-month note?
Posts: 38 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
At that point, I wouldn't. They've received the manuscript. They should get back to you with an answer. Check what timeframe they say to expect. If it's not on their website, they should have informed you what to expect when they requested the manuscript.

At this point, if an agent failed to send a reply, favorable or unfavorable, within roughly the expected timeframe, I'd cross them off my list.

Your agent has to be someone you can work with--and that does mean occasional communication.

Changes slightly if they requested and exclusive and you gave it to them. Then you have to decide if you want to withdraw the manuscript from that agent so you can go ahead and send it elsewhere.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.