Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Length

Author Topic: Length
Montag
Member # 9421

- posted      Profile for Montag   Email Montag         Edit/Delete Post 
I am working on an early chapter and it only has 2236 words. Is this a problem? It's not meant to be overly long but this might be a little too short and over emphasize the point.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Like the answer about short stories in another thread, chapters should be as long as they need to be.

My chapters usually run between 2000 and 3000 words, averaging about ten pages (roughly 2500 words) in proper manuscript format. I have some chapters that are longer and in some works a few chapters that are shorter.

There isn't any one right answer to how long a chapter should be.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree with Meredith. I'm reading a book now with chapters from one page to ten. Well, some of the later ones are longer.

My chapters seem to be usually around 3,000 to 5,000 but one novel I wrote, currently 89,000 words, has only nine chapters. That's about 10,000 words a chapter even though I know the first one is quite a bit less. I might break up the two longest ones, we shall see.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissa
Member # 9206

- posted      Profile for Lissa   Email Lissa         Edit/Delete Post 
Other than word count, what "is" the rule of thumb on chapters? Is it totally up to the author's discretion? Should there be a certain "rise and fall" in the action/story? Is it the content? What about passage of time?

Etc, etc, etc!

Lis

Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
I just read that a chapter should contain no more than three pieces of action (in an article about pacing).
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe chapter length depends upon the GENRE.

Fantasy - longer chapters. I want to read about the mundane because I'm submersed in this world. Seriously, I love it when the elves eat dried bread and cheese. (I'm looking at YOU Terry Brooks.)

Action/Suspense - shorter chapters. It should be a scene as if from a movie. Something should happen, tension should rise, there should be a mini cliff hanger, then it should end.

Sci-fi - somewhere in the middle. Since it's generally a new world I do want to know/read more about it, but it's not an elf and company walking through the forest fantasy. Keep the pace and action moving. Give me 10 pages and move on.

Disclaimer:
The above is Axeminister's guide to chapter length.
Please adopt or discard at will.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts (not professional writing advice):

In one of Joe Hill's (Stephen King's son) novels -- I think it was Heart Shaped Box, there are chapters that are only a few words in length.

Your word count is about 7-8 pages. For an adult novel, this would be on the shorter side, but not uncommon for a fast-paced thriller (James Patterson or Dan Brown). It is not typical for a fantasy or science fiction novel. I think Meredith writes middle grade/YA and the middle grade novel I wrote has a similar word count to what she cites. If a middle grade novel clocks in at 40k words, naturally the chapters will be shorter.

That being said, there is nothing wrong with short chapters, but it may be too short if it is a typical chapter length for an adult sf novel. Terry Pratchett (I only have read one of his books) had commented somewhere that he doesn't like chapters because they break up the flow of a story. I think the question you need to ask is not about word count, but if this is a good time to pause your story (such as in a point-of-view shift).

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
From this reader's standpoint:

I don't care about their length one way or the other. Sometimes chapters put a period on the action, or isolate something (action, POV, whatever) -- fine. But just as often they're merely an annoying interruption that I suppose is meant to make me eager to continue through CliffHanging, but in fact just distracts me, as then I think "WTF does it break *here* for??"

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with most of what is said here. Chapters should be as long as needed to tell that part of the story. I don't think there is a right answer when it comes to a number of words.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Grayson,

Thanks for that link. You have no idea how much that helped me. That's exactly what I needed to read when I needed to read it.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I write YA and Middle-grade sci-fi. Most of my chapters are right around 1200-1400 words. I have a few that are closer to 2k, but I try to cap them at or under 2k. Audience considerations, and pacing of the book. A chapter that keeps going and going keeps a reader stuck...and chapters are a great opportunity for more hooks, more interest, more "you really just have to turn the page to figure out what she does NOW" moments.

I noticed something interesting during a period of my life when I read every Harry Potter book in 2 weeks (and then every book again.) -- Most of those chapters take almost exactly 15 minutes to read. It made it dangerous at nighttime when I really *should* be turning off the light and going to sleep, but what's 15 more minutes? Right??

I've noticed the trend with most other YA/MG writers is for a varied chapter length, a few very short ones interspersed, but the length is generally pretty short (I don't know page count anymore because I read almost everything on the Nook where pages are somewhat meaningless, but I'd bet it's 1500-2k words.)

Good luck!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Axe, glad to hear it! I've inhaled everything on that site. Good stuff.
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I've found in my writing that with several character PoVs a great way to keep interest in each story line is to end the chapters on somewhat of a cliffhanger when you're going to another PoV so people are excited to get back to the character. Since you can do breaks inside chapters with the extra space and maybe a fancy little design or line or something, the place to end the chapter is the place where it'll help the overall story flow the most.

That said, not to name names but in a book that rhymes with Shmeragon the author had an annoying tendency of putting in like a dozen 2-3 page chapters in the middle of his book, and I found it very annoying. Short chapters are fine, but stringing a bunch of short chapters together is off-putting.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.