Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Reading Suggestions

Author Topic: Reading Suggestions
Winters
Member # 9429

- posted      Profile for Winters   Email Winters         Edit/Delete Post 
My current wip is a third-person limited story which switches between two characters. Do any hatrackers have suggestions for good published works that do this well? Or even two first-person characters that switch? I can't think of any stories off the top of my head that do this, although I know it's been done plenty of times.

[This message has been edited by Winters (edited March 05, 2011).]

[This message has been edited by Winters (edited March 05, 2011).]

Posts: 31 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm reading a book called Incarceron that does use two primary POVs (there are occasional bits in one of the supporting cast's POV but they are short and limited.)

I can't offhand recall whether it's first or third person, funny that I can't. I think it's third.

At any rate, it's a very interesting fantasy/sci-fi blend and a really unique concept, I do recommend the book (though I'm not finished with it yet.)

Good luck.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izanobu
Member # 9314

- posted      Profile for izanobu           Edit/Delete Post 
This is especially common in romance novels, so maybe check out some of those?
Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Marion Zimmer Bradley did a variation on that with a couple of her Darkover novels. The Lew Alton parts were done in first person and the Regis Hastur parts were done in third person, and the chapters alternated between the two characters.

Can't think of the titles right now, though. (I guess I remember stories more for the writerly things done in them than I do for the titles--go figure.)

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Hmm, I know I have read stories that fit what you want but I can't recall them at the moment. It can be done.

Right now I am reading a book that switches from First Person to Third when dealing with someone who is not the MC. There is no "I learned this after the fact" thing, the writer just switches.

If I recall any stories that you may want or find one I will list it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld uses two pov characters that start out on opposite sides of the story.

Wild Seed by Octavia E. Butler has two pov charcters as well.

Both are excellent books, though neither uses a first person pov.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Incarceron is in third person. I just started listening to the audio version. I'm not positive I like it on audio because my first impression of the character is usually so completely wrong that I want to go back and reread, and figure out how I got so off. I'm enjoying it though.

I just put down a book (the name escapes me right now) because the author tried to use 2 different characters POV in first person. Miserable, miserable stuff. I can't imagine a book that could pull it off--unless the characters voices were SO distinctive that you could figure out who was narrating in the first line.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

I remembered that the first book in the Kane Chronicles, Red Pyramid) is two first person narrators.

It's the Rick Riordan book.

I personally had issues with it because I didn't feel like I could tell the difference between the two POVs, even though the chapter headings were done with the name of the POV. Just one of those things, I really didn't feel like the two POVs were different enough.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Montag
Member # 9421

- posted      Profile for Montag   Email Montag         Edit/Delete Post 
The Lost Hero by Riordan too. Its better than Red Pyramid too.
Posts: 36 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
My book switches three 3rd person POV very well.
Wait. I'm not published.

Now exiting fantasy world and back to the topic at hand:

James Patterson - any Alex Cross novel.

Switches between one or two 3rd person, and one 1st person. Switches often too. Only once have I not known where I was, and that was only because on like page 200 he brought in a brand new POV character. Which is of course why I knew that character was going to bite it. She did.

I agree with Unwritten. Two first person? No way.
There's something unnatural about that.
Like those rides at theme parks that make it appear as if you are moving, and you're getting thrown around in your chair, but when you look left and see a fixed exit sign you immediately want to hurl.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
After the first book, The Lord of the Rings switches back and forth between several different characters.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series must win the prize for multiple points of view.
Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff Ambrose
Member # 9437

- posted      Profile for Jeff Ambrose           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto on the George R. R. Martin books. It's genius how he uses multiple POV's to tell his story and create profound emotion.

I'm no longer a fan of the big door stopper fantasies, but I'll read Martin just to enjoy the craft in the hands of a master.

Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently read Ever, by Gail Carson Levine. Beautiful book, with two POV Characters, one a girl who must be sacrificed to a god, and the other is a god who wants to save her, because the god she will be sacrificed to doesn't exist.

It was in first person and worked for me, although I think it would have worked as well, if not better, if told in third.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
Wheel of Time series by Jordan, it’s a bit of a read, but worth it IMHO. You start off with at party of characters, crisis ensues, and party is split. From then on Jordan is nearly always switching off to spin the multiple threads of this amazingly woven tale. Sometimes the threads will recombine but more often they split and split again. Sometimes he will introduce a new character “cold” but more often they are introduced through interaction with a character you already know.
I think that he does transitions remarkably well.
If you haven’t read this series yet, enjoy!

Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Oh Shimiqua, I loved Ever, too. Probably my favorite GCL book. I went through a phase and read about 7 in a row...she has some fun short fiction, by the way -- on our other topic about poor markets for YA short fiction. GCL solved the problem by bundling her stories in a hardback.
Winters
Member # 9429

- posted      Profile for Winters   Email Winters         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. My story is 3rd person, so I don't have to deal with the jarring problem with first person.

I think I'll definitely try Martin (his Sandkings short story is probably my favorite ss ever), and I've been meaning to get around to Jordan anyway.

Of course, after making this topic I started Sanderson's Mistborn which switches POV in a similar way. Divine intervention in my reading, anyone?

Posts: 31 | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
David Farland and Brandon Sanderson don't strictly use 3rd person limited. They use a hybrid of limited and omniscient which allows them to dive into 3rd limited and pull in tight or go out to a world-describing omniscient. Most strictly 3rd Person Limited I've read sticks with one PoV.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Lately, I find it hard to read anything with Song of Ice and Fire raising the bar. No fantasy seems interesting enough to keep reading.

I could use some tips on what to read.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Robin Hobb, Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn, Naomi Novik, Gail Carriger, John Brown, Aliette de Bodard, K. J. Parker...
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Guy Gavriel Kay (Tigana, or the Fionovar Tapestry series) too.

I'm not reading much large-scale fantasy anymore because I don't have the time to invest, but there's some great stuff out there.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.