Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The Problem of Young Adult Short Stories

Author Topic: The Problem of Young Adult Short Stories
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
As I consider what to do with one of my recently-rejected stories, I come hard up against this problem. There is no market for YA short stories.

One of the most consistent comments I get about my writing in general and my short stories in particular, is that they feel YA. I'm not disputing this. My characters are almost always youngish. My stories tend to end with some kind of happy ending (although that's not necessarily a characteristic of YA stories). And even when I write a story with a single character, I don't seem to be able to completely avoid at least a hint of romance. Okay, I get it.

The problem is, there just is no market for YA short stories. I don't know why that is, but it appears to be true.

A recent search on Duotrope for Fantasy, YA, and Short Stories yielded four results.

Of those:

• The first only accepts stories from people half my age or younger.
  • The second only accepts stories less than 2000 words in length. (Mine tend to run around 5000.)
  • The third only wants stories in which the protagonist is 9 - 14 years old. Okay, my MCs are young, but not quite that young.
  • And the last only pays a maximum of $25. I'm sorry, but I'll just hang on to my 5000 word story at that price. It's not worth it.

::Frustrated sigh::

I guess this is the main reason I'm starting to consider e-publishing some of my short stories.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited March 06, 2011).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izanobu
Member # 9314

- posted      Profile for izanobu           Edit/Delete Post 
E-publish them. do a YA short story collection. I bet there is a market there
Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
My first suggested was going to be the same as izanobu but I'm sure I have run across a couple magazines that want stories like yours. If any of your stories are fantasy, Black Gate..if they ever reopen again to submissions...says their audience includes younger readers.

IGMS and I think Universe Annex both say they have a PG-13 rating but I don't know if that means they will take YA stories. Rats, I know there's another one. It may not be pro but it would pay more than $25 a story. Have you checked out some of the audio mags? One pays $100 a story. Well, its three mags; Podcastle, Escape Pod and one for horror stories but they seem to be connected.

The one or two I am missing may come to mind after a day or three if someone else doesn't suggest them first.

But I too believe there is a market out there for YA stories.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Meredith -

Your predicament brings to mind a certain author:

Roald Dahl

He is very well known for his children's books, but also wrote extensive adult short stories. They are fantastic and very unlike the children's books (one is called something like "Switcharoo" where two men devise a plan to switch wives for an evening without them knowing). Most of his stories are not so base, but many are devilishly clever and others fit into the category of speculative fiction.

My point in all of this is Roald Dahl made a fantastic career writing children's novels, but also broke free and wrote for the adult market as well. Perhaps that is something you might consider.

Other authors became famous writing adult novels, but later wrote YA fiction (Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman, James Patterson, John Grisham, et al). It doesn't sound like that is the route you prefer...

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

@Wordcaster: It isn't really a question of which I prefer. Those just seem to be the stories I have to tell.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting conundrum.

I'm not sure what separates a YA story from an Adult one nowadays, based on the topics from sex to drugs to difficult relationships that seem to be present in YA as much as Adult novels.
What to you believe classifies a work as "YA"?

A good story I would hope is a good story and fit into appropriate genre niche markets (sf, fantasy, mystery, crime...); but I may be showing my naivite here.

There does seem to be a huge market for young adult novels, and these seem to often be comparatively at the shorter 50K word count novel length.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
I'm not sure what separates a YA story from an Adult one nowadays, based on the topics from sex to drugs to difficult relationships that seem to be present in YA as much as Adult novels.

You'll find a variety of definitions. Generally:

• YA stories tend to have young, usually teenage, protagonists. The average age of YA MCs is probably around 17.
  • In addition to all of the other things that may happen in a YA story, very often a major part of the story revolves around some aspect of coming of age.
  • As you note, YA novels are often shorter than adult novels, but this isn't always true, especially in fantasy.

I find myself wondering, now that I think about it, if there shouldn't be a growing market for YA short fiction. If teens are early adopters of technology--even if they only have a phone that they can download and read on--shouldn't there be a market for shorter stories in that format?

Or am I just full of it?

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Yeah, I started a book that I'm sure is YA from the subject matter and how it was written, not to mention the age of the MC but it begins where the 12 year old or so boy finds out his mother is having an affair with his dad's secretary. His dad tells him but can't tell him what was going to happen with the parents. While the boy is dealing with that he finds a fairy; a tiny person with wings and that begins his adventure with the fairy who is normal in his own land.

But as I said it was the subject matter, age of MC, and how it was written that made it YA. The writing style is hard to describe but it is different.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Actually, LDWriter2, that's probably Middle Grade, not YA. Twelve is really too young for a YA character.
Jeff Ambrose
Member # 9437

- posted      Profile for Jeff Ambrose           Edit/Delete Post 
E-publish them and see what happens. It might take a few months or a year for them to catch on ... but hey, it's something.
Posts: 62 | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Meredith,

Nonsense. Unless a market specifically ask you not to send it, send it anywhere the genre it fits. You know where I read a YA short story last? Writers of the Future. The winning story, Living Rooms, I would describe as a YA friendly story.
Any adult will enjoy a well-written YA story. Harry Potter is an excellent example. You think only pre-adults bought all those copies? So keep submitting away. If the editor cites that as the reason why it was rejected just keep note and be careful to send anything like that to them again.

Self-publish only when you have exhausted all paying markets. That's my philosophy.

Edited to add: That service duotrope provides is for markets that seek those specific sub-genres. Doesn't mean anything not listed is a market you should avoid.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited March 06, 2011).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izanobu
Member # 9314

- posted      Profile for izanobu           Edit/Delete Post 
Meredith- so this story hasn't gone to all the pro-zines? Send it! Doesn't matter what age the protag is. I had thought you'd sent to all genre (meaning SF or Fantasy or whatever, not YA) appropriate pro magazines, that's why I suggested e-publishing. If it hasn't gone everywhere first, send it. The age of the protag doesn't matter (my story in DSF at the moment has a 16 year old protagonist... didn't stop them from buying it)
Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
You're singing my song, Meredith. I'm frustrated, my YA and other young-themed short stories do not seem to find markets easily, though my one published work is a YA short story (so I know I don't just suck at writing, lol.)

I'm going off the reservation, indie publishing my own short stories. I haven't sent to all the big publishers (as izanobu suggests) but they've mostly been out there and have seen several of them each after WOTF. I get the feeling that my stories are just not quite what the markets are looking for. But I think there's still a market for them (it's just evidence that teens aren't reading IGMS in droves, which doesn't surprise me in the slightest.)

I've had only a few sales thus far with my one indie published short story, but I'm going at it bigger with more stories, a collection, etc. shortly. I hope to have different news to report in the next 6 months.

Good luck, and hey - I sent you a FB friend request. You, me, MAP and Unwritten need to get together for a virtual coffee!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
Meredith- so this story hasn't gone to all the pro-zines? Send it! Doesn't matter what age the protag is. I had thought you'd sent to all genre (meaning SF or Fantasy or whatever, not YA) appropriate pro magazines, that's why I suggested e-publishing. If it hasn't gone everywhere first, send it. The age of the protag doesn't matter (my story in DSF at the moment has a 16 year old protagonist... didn't stop them from buying it)

Oh, it's been around all right. It came closest at Heroic Fantasy Quarterly. There are maybe a couple of other places I could send it, but none I'm very excited about.

The YA specific search was in hopes of turning up another market that might be a better prospect.

Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
Meredith, my search for a YA short story market has led me to the conclusion that I should just go straight to the e-publishing route...essentially, create my own market for my series.

Although...that's not my final verdict. I am assembling a group of teens who will read the first two stories. Their reactions---or, lack thereof---will give me hints as to not only how to improve the stories, but how I might want to take them to market.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
Young adults really are buying a ton of ebooks nowadays. This includes shorter works as well. They are making a difference, for sure. If you really cannot find a taker for your story via the traditional route, I would consider the e-pub route. I have had a similar problem with a couple of my stories as well.

Heh, with all the people having this issue, maybe someone should start an electronic mag for young adult speculative fiction....

Melanie

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know much about YA works, but it would seem to me that YA novels would be better sold the eReader world. After all, its the new thing.

I would be curious to know how each genre is performing in eBook sales. Are some doing better then others?

Guess I just found something to Google at work.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
All I'm thinking is (1) write your YA short story, and (2) pass it on to the adult markets for short stories, wherever and whatever they may be. A lot of 'em publish stuff that looks like it would qualify as YA, so why not give 'em a try?

(Experience limited to the SF world...I haven't a clue what's out there that's not SF...and barely have a clue within it...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you ever read Richard Matheson (I am Legend, What Dreams May Come )? He couples four or five short stories with his novellas and sells them together. Granted, it was 50+ years ago. Writers to some extend do that today, but I don't typically see one primary novella with several 3-7k short stories appended at the end.

Just another thought. Especially if your short stories are in the same world or have the same theme. Charlaine Harris wrote a Sookie Stackhouse short story.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

- posted      Profile for OlsenOlsen   Email OlsenOlsen         Edit/Delete Post 
My predicament is that I am a 100% newbie to the publishing world, and instead of starting my own thread (which i might if I don't get any responses) I thought I'd ask in this thread because I fall in a similar category.

I've never sent anything to any publishers, so obviously I have never published. I've been refining some of my short stories, and I would say two of them fall into the YA short story category. Can anyone help, and suggest who exactly to send to? and how many stories may I send to different publishers simultaneously?

Thank you!

Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
I've never sent anything to any publishers, so obviously I have never published. I've been refining some of my short stories, and I would say two of them fall into the YA short story category. Can anyone help, and suggest who exactly to send to? and how many stories may I send to different publishers simultaneously?

Who to send it to:

• Check Duotrope.
  • And don't limit your search to just YA publications. Especially if you submit via e-mail, all it's going to cost you is some time.
  • If the story is suitable, start with Beneath Ceaseless Skies, they almost always give you some feedback, even when they reject the story.

How many at a time?:

In general (check the specific market for variations):

• Most markets only want one story of yours at at time. (No multiple subs)
  • Most markets want to be the only one with that story until they accept or reject it. (No simultaneous subs)
  • There is absolutely nothing stopping you from sending a different story to every market you can find as long as you don't break the above rules (unless the markets permit).

Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

My predicament is that I am a 100% newbie to the publishing world, and instead of starting my own thread (which i might if I don't get any responses) I thought I'd ask in this thread because I fall in a similar category.

I loved this. I couldnt stop laughing.

As far as the answer, Meredith said it best above.

[This message has been edited by Tiergan (edited March 09, 2011).]

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OlsenOlsen
Member # 8198

- posted      Profile for OlsenOlsen   Email OlsenOlsen         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the help!!
Posts: 52 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.