Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Assuming abnormalcy

Author Topic: Assuming abnormalcy
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
In my story currently in revision, I'm portraying a 'normal' world, so when abnormal things begin to happen the characters are in disbelief and confusion because they're trying to fit the events into their previous world view. For example, if YOU came across a bunch of mangled cars on a highway with weird constriction marks you would thing "wow, a car accident...how'd they get those weird marks?" You would not think "Wow, I guess a monster that I've never seen that doesn't exist as far as I know, must have done this. Yep, that's the most obvious suspect."

I'm trying to portray their confusion and disbelief as it slowly peels back into a new world view that allows for previously impossible things. But I take about 86 pages to identify the problem (not the cause, that won't happen till awhile later). You are seeing the fall-out of the problem, which seems effective to me because it is the unseen approaching threat that is more terrifying than the one that has already arrived, but some of my feedback has been that things aren't moving fast enough or after two chapters they still don't know what's going on...

So I guess I succeeded in allowing them to feel the confusion of the characters, but I don't want to turn readers off either. I feel the progression is natural, honestly I don't feel like it should be changed, but what are your thoughts? On portraying ignorance and confusion?

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems like this is going to my week to quote OSC. He said that "if people say a section is slow, you probably need to lengthen it." (paraphrased)

I've learned this in a particular story of my own lately. It's not that that it's too long, it's that it needs to be more interesting. For that, you usually need to add details. There also the possibility that you need to be deeper in the head of the character. If the reader can move along with the MC trying tofigure things out, being fed little new discoveries of information, like breadcrumbs, they'll go along with you happily and not notice how long it is - hopefully.

So look at the 'slow' bit and make sure leaving clues and also ratcheting up the tension as you go. Every discovery should build a little more understanding and a little more suspense. If you're leaving your reader too much in the dark, and too confused, they have nothing to hope for, nothing to go along with. Another OSC quote: "Suspense comes from what you do know, not what you don't know." Let your reader know things, give them a mystery to solve. Get their brain working and they'll be happy.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with genevive42. I've read thrillers that take a long time to get to the "this is what is really going on" point, but as long as things are interesting and my mind has something to work on, I don't mind in the least. Make sure you are building tension as you go along, that stakes are being raised.

Mel

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with OSC. Usually when people complain that a whole scene or section is needless or slow, the real problem is that it needs to be fleshed out, made more direct and meaningful to the characters, less summarized. I've concluded that merely deleting the material is usually a novice mistake.

However, if you suffer from too-many-words syndrome, that can have the same effect, of removing momentum. Cleaning up such prose restores pace and involvement.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
That's an interesting perspective, I wouldn't mind another pair of eyes because I've had one reviewer who said that it flew by while one said it was just slow and how no idea what was going on, and a third who said I'm hinting at something but they felt frustrated about the indefiniteness of the characters not yet recognizing how seriously out of whack something is.

Any takes for a quick three chapters? Four perhaps for measure, just looking to this one aspect?

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll take a look.

By the way, if you have that wide a variety, it may not be a problem. I'd worry more if everyone were saying the same thing. But send it on and I will give you my take, for what it's worth. I may need a few days on it.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

Thanks Genevive, sent it just a minute ago. Let me know what you think.

Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bumping into this problem with my characters riding horses. They're in a sort of enforced Bronze Age era and they haven't developed stirrups yet. Historically combat from horseback was pretty much impossible until stirrups were developed, and I like the way that changes the battles.

Unfortunately I can't just come out and say "hey, these saddles don't have stirrups" because stirrups don't exist and if they did and people knew about them then they'd be using them. But it makes it awkward because how else do you explain the difficulties of riding without stirrups?

The best I could think of was mentioning that their legs hang down loosely and they hold a saddlehorn. Not sure if it paints the correct picture, but I'm at a bit of a loss for what else I could do.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
Their legs would definitely not be hanging down loosely riding in battle. Perhaps when walking casually but even at a slow trot you need to learn to hang on with your legs otherwise you will get bounced all over the show. Horse riders therefore have very strong thighs and calves for gripping the horse with. Also a very strong core for keeping balance. You would still be able to wield weapons from horseback without stirrups, though they would definitely help.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

I guess I'm thinking more of the clashes between knights. Wearing heavy armor and staying in a saddle without stirrups can get real tricky real fast, especially if you're holding a broadsword in one hand and a shield in the other.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

Good riders can really stick to a horse; remember there are both saddle and bareback bronc-riders at rodeos, and those broncs can seriously leap and twist and pile-drive (that'll bounce you 6 feet up!)

But the big problem with not having stirrups is that you don't have any leverage beyond the grip of your legs, which ain't all that much when clamped around an object the size of a horse's ribs. It'll hold you there, but it won't hold you PLUS an impact there. Get whacked, or even try to do a serious shoving, and over-side you go. A saddle with a high bow and cantle could keep you from being dumped fore and aft, but won't do a thing for side-to-side.

The other thing is, the harder you grip, the faster the horse wants to go (horses generally being trained to respond like that so they can be controlled with legs alone, and tending to move away from pressure) so as you're gripping with your legs trying not to get shoved to the ground, your horse is gonna become inclined to bolt out of there (barring training to the contrary).

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe knights didn't exist until after stirrups.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

My understanding is that there were what we'd call knights, but they dismounted to fight.

Probably this is where we should unearth a SCAdian who actually does this sort of thing.

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me dust off my tunic...Okay, I'll keep this brief.

What most people think of as a knight is from the Middle Ages. The Bronze Age was roughly from 3,000 to 1,000 BCE. Stirrups seem to have been invented sometime during the 4th and 8th centuries.

In a bronze age, a soldier might wear a breast plate and greeves (shin guards). What we would consider a ranking officer might also wear a helm. Most soldiers wearing armor would be in leather or even wood, and most swords would be short so that the metal could hold up in combat.

A horse carrying a bronze age soldier would carry less weight than one carrying a stereotypical knight. Calvary would train for speed and maneuverability, and I would expect them to avoid close combat. Bowmen and spearmen would be more useful than swordsmen.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

Thanks aspirit.

I recently looked up bronze-age weaponry for my story. I wouldn't even come close to pretending to be knowledgeable, but it seems the famous leaf-bladed swords were determined to be the most durable way to shape bronze, usually only a foot and a half at most.

This creates a bit of a problem for my story, since my guys are swinging around greatswords and bastard swords, but I used the lazy, easy way out by saying the bronze was shaped around a core of cold-hammered iron. I can't even pretend to say whether or not that would actually work.

enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

Bronze around iron? I have to be honest the edge would be soft and thus less durable, what would anyone gain from wrapping iron in bronze when the iron is the strength of the weapon?
Reziac
Member # 9345

Also, I'd think lacking a proper welded bond, the first impact would *SPROING* the bronze right off the iron.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.