Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » May 02, 2011 Did You Write?

Author Topic: May 02, 2011 Did You Write?
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
May 02, 2011 Did You Write?

Another week has arrived. I can see from some of the posts in previous weeks that some people are actually getting the effect of this note. Many of us have writing goals, some met them, others missed. The goal this note pushing for is to write something, anything, during the week. It is aimed at those of us who write once a month, or once every few months. It is also to keep the rest of us active and writing.
You know the note is coming each week and you want to report favorably about your writing, so you will open something, anything, to report that you wrote. The hope is that even if you failed, that you post about what is going on in your life.
Those who write regularly and write volumes of work are asked to post as it gives the rest of us a view of what we could be if we got off our lazy duffs and started writing.

How much we write is unimportant. One word, a paragraph, a thousand pages, does not matter here. If you are editing, your word count could go up, go down or even stay the same. I have had times where I have struggled with a section, and got almost nothing done, while other times the words flowed like a river. While high word counts are nice, they are not important.

What is writing is wide open. We all know that new writing is writing. Editing is also writing, even if it is the work of others. Critiques are also writing and count as such. Poetry, articles, technical writing, blogging, writing assignments, world and character creation, and even E-mails can be writing if they are wordy and pertain to story or writing. If you have to ask if it is writing, it is. Of course, you may choose not to count many of these. It is up to you. It is better if you count them as your writing as it makes you look more productive.

As for me, Yes, I did write. I am writing my third Waxy story. It is more about the plot right now than anything. The writing itself is poor, but I think my plot will be good. When I reach the end, I will do heavy editing to make some attempt to bring it into shape, let alone up to level. It is not the story I planned it to be, but it is a good story as it is. I can always hope it will be super when I am done. As it is, I wrote THE END on this rough draft tonight at 6182 words on page 14. That was 4776 words this week. So much for crap. Now to make it good.

On the story idea front. I have, including what I am posting tonight, 43 story ideas in the compost pile. I have come up with some good ideas, but have posted them as fast as I have gotten them. the new ideas are always better than old ones for reason.
Last month. I did fairly well on the story idea front. I ended up posting 31 story ideas amounting to 30 pages, with a total of 17518 words. Many really deserved more than I did to them. They should be written into published form. Since I don't have the time, I hope someone here likes them enough to make them into something.
I work from the concept that if twenty people wrote from one of my story ideas, there would be twenty different stories that will result. That is why I never worry about any great story I post in the story ideas.
Another thing is that one might take my original concept, or might take one bit of my presentation to create a story, or it might just seed some other concept. Because of that, those who don't like to use other people's ideas, can pick bits and pieces as a jump off point of one of their works and not be borrowing from someone else's work. A good number of my story ideas is taken from songs, advertisements, or reports of stories or movies. What I end up with is not the same thing as what seeded the concept. I would expect the same for everybody else who uses these too.

Outside writing, I messed with my little metal working lathe. I attempted two ways of making a project. I need some screws with special heads. I decided I would make my own.
My first attempt which was to make it from raw bar stock, showed me my methods and concepts will work, but I forgot several steps and stopped long before I got farther than humiliating the piece of metal.
My second attempt was to take some wide head screws I found and make the head smaller and square as I needed. That worked nicely. While machining them was fun, I can save myself a lot of time by grinding the excess metal off and then using the machining to finish the job.
For wood working, I took a bowl I made in 2004 that was poorly designed. it was thick and clunky. I used a mounting system that I worked out over the past few months and re-worked it. After it is heavily sanded and finished, it will be a really nice bowl.
I started my third cannon. this one is going to my grandnephew. It is small. I made the barrel. It needs a little work but looks good. I will make the carriage for it over the next month. These care kind of fun to make.

As to the question of the week, I can say

YES, I DID WRITE!

DID YOU WRITE?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah. I wrote on my novel outline and scene sketches and finished my WotF story.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I reviewed a piece for a fellow Hatracker. I will write after dinner.
Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. I worked on the query for MAGE STORM. Edited and sent back out two short stories: "Heart of Oak" and "The Bard's Gift". And started the second draft of SEVEN STARS.

Plus various critiques and two blog posts.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Lots of writing related stuff this last week with the preparations for WotF but not much 'writing' apart from a blog post.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
New novel WIP now up to 15k, so yes, I definitely wrote.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Working on a new story. Planning to get it done fast.
Managed forty pages in the last two days.

So YES, I wrote .

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heresy
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Heresy   Email Heresy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, about 2k. Still a lot of distractions and stress in my life, so I'm not surprised I haven't gotten that much written this week, but I'll get there. It'll just take a little longer to get to the end of the book. I'm also trying to sort out one of my characters in the part I'm on and how to accomplish what I want to in the scene I'm writing and the next one. I figure that, so long as I get some writing done every week, I'm still in good shape, still making forward progress.

-Julie T.

Posts: 293 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Still been sick and have been using my writing time to sleep

I wrote a minimal amount (couple thousand wds) and updated my blog.

I hope to get back on the horse very soon and make some good progress on my stalled novel. I also have a germ of a story I'm working on -- not sure if it wants to be a short story, novella or novel.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
I switched gears a bit this past week, going mostly with editing work, and unfortunately violating my 600 new words a day goal at least twice, but I did manage to eek out 3K.

Details, at your convenience...

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't write after dinner. I lied.

I hope to do something today.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wonderbus
Member # 9494

- posted      Profile for Wonderbus   Email Wonderbus         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep. After slowing down with my novel these past couple of weeks I feel like I've finally got a grip on my third POV character so the past few days have been back up to speed.

Also did a crit on the first two chapters of a fellow Hatrackers novel which was fun.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Another washout. And with upcoming vacation time consuming me, I don't think I'll have much time to do more before I get back---sometime in the week after next.

I did expend a little literary effort on a grievance statement for work...it's not the same.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
akeenedesign
Member # 7816

- posted      Profile for akeenedesign   Email akeenedesign         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote! I passed the 70,000 word mark on my novel. It is SO NEAR the point where sh*t will hit the fan causing the story to start racing for the climax. I'm so excited!
Posts: 89 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, beginning to hit stride again. This week should put me firmly back on track.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
Does a blog post about how I haven't written count?
Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure I should say something, I've gotten into a bad habet of being late with these.

But Yes I wrote.

On each of my three novels. But very little on New Mage which I may change the title to Between a Rock and A Hard Place. or maybe not that will probably fit my next Bright Lights novel. But I need something like that for New Mage.

I am still working my way through redoing the first half of my nonhuman story. I'm doing more changing than I thought I would.

Did a post or three on my blog http://musingsofle.blogspot.com
Need to do one more short one tonight.

Did four or crits, including two for Critters--one was by accident.

A few posts here. A couple of E-mails. Need to do one more soonest.

I think that's it

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
And redux I think it does count here.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.