Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Hello rejection, my old friend

Author Topic: Hello rejection, my old friend
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, well. I just get frustrated with them.

I've been so slow/low on submitting to short story markets that I should be over this already, but le sigh. Another rejection for my files. Tor.com (lengthy review cycle, FYI. I sent it on October 13ish.)

No encouraging reject, just a plain "didn't work for us."

I need to write some NEW short stories, as I think the ones I've been submitting (very sporadically, because I'm an extremely lazy submitter) are older works of mine and I could do so much better now. Right? So say we all...

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Boy, do I know how you feel...want to compare scars, um, that is numbers.?

I think that is why it's so hard for me to get back into the habit of sending out stories. One reason, anyway. You should see what I write on my blog at times.

But I hear Tor is very difficult to get into. I've never even tried them.

And "le sigh"...speaking french now are we ? You must really be down.

New stories would help, I think, if you have learned anything since you wrote the older ones. That usually works for writers...plus of course practicing, which does work for Most writers. Write ten stories this next month. What you like, don't worry about length , and don't worry about your "invisible" audience just write. One person left a note on my blog that I should check out Holly Lisle's page. No link so I'm not sure how to get there but probably isn't too hard to figure out.

And remember even the long time pros get a lot more rejections than sells.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited May 03, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
stink!

especially after you waited for so long -- it would be nice to get just a sentence of encouragement.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
Just remember: the more rejections you get, as long as you keep your aim high, the sweeter the acceptances when they come.
Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
What Brad said. Just keep at it.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Tor.com is one of the toughest markets out there - plenty of established pros don't get through.

But as for "writing new short stories" - yes. This. Once you have written short story and start it doing the rounds, there's no eason to spend more time on it (bar the very occasional look-over and polish), so what should you be spending your time doing? More writing.

Don't wait until something sells and then think "oh, I'd better write a new story now". When you have finished writing story A, start story B. When B is done, start C. And so on.

I fell foul of this during a long dry spell connected with my intercontinental move, and while I kept selling stories on and off, I wasn't replacing them. The end result is that the few stories I had left in inventory had been to pretty much every suitable market, and so my ability to sub, let alone sell, nose-dived.

Keeping a good inventory of stories is well-nigh essential. Unless you're Ted Chiang, of course.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
http://hollylisle.com/index.php/Feature-Stories/why-everyone-shouldnt-like-you.html
Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad you posted this. I am very worried I will get lazy with submitting, so I never let a story sit. I write it, post it for crits, review crits, reread it, rewrite it, and then submit it. Of course, sometimes (if there are major crits) I repeat steps one to five once or twice.

The big thing is that once the rejection comes, send it out to another market the same day. I find by doing that I don't dwell on the rejection and I can't get lazy about submitting them.

Of couse this all came after other Hatrackers helped me start submitting in the first place. So I am new to this whole process. But I want to pay it forward, so to speak.

Keep writing too. After all you might wind up with several works published.

Edited because I always mess something up posting via my phone.

[This message has been edited by EVOC (edited May 03, 2011).]

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Holly Lisle's article is good for perspective, but there is also the writing craft issue that is separate than your genre and writing style.

I think it's easier to accept rejections on style/sub-genre issues (at least for me) but I think we don't get told as much when there are technical disqualifications and that's something we can improve and work to get better.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Unfortunately, that is normal turnaround for Tor.com. It's not one of those situations where them having it a long time means it's made it further down the line. And it's a really tough market.

Just remember, rejection means you're working at it and that is a success in itself. A writer who never submits, and thus, never gets rejected, is a hobbyist. So good for you for taking the chance. Toast yourself and send it back out.

Damn the rejections - full speed ahead!

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Duotrope lists an acceptance rate of 0.00%.

...is that even possible?

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about your rejection . Keep trying though, because not trying only guarantees failure . (I know from experience).

I hear a lot of horror stories about how TOR is like dropping your query into a black hole, but if it makes you guys feel better they do at least read your subscriptions. I sent in a query a few years ago and along with the form letter there was a handwritten note telling me they liked my writing but the story started slow and I should rework it and send it in again.

I never did (experience :/).

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Duotrope lists an acceptance rate of 0.00%.

...is that even possible?

The problem with Doutrope is its based on user submissions. So if those accepted by Tor.com never report it then it is 0%. So basically 0% of reporting Doutrope members have been accepted.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got the two I had out, back today. One was the "didn't work for us" computer-generated letter. The other was the standard copied form letter.

Neither of which tells me anything...ah, well, I've got one more market for each of 'em...

(More on one of those rejections in another thread.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
My WotF Semi-Final winner has now gotten bounced from the big three and IGMS with only form rejections (and I've gotten personal from a couple of these markets before). It may end up at Tor.com just because there aren't too many pro markets that will take a 12k story.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I should say I wasn't expecting much from either of the rejected stories...but, given the lack of interest, I think I'm going to make a change in my revision habits involving expending less energy on the nitpicky parts of it.

After they're bounced again, I'll put 'em up on my website...shouldn't take more than a couple months either way...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

At one time I was interested in the various ways they have to say no. Each one id different so I would say hey I haven't gotten a rejection form them yet I need to send one in to see how they say no.

Now, I feel like the bad thing about sending out a bunch of stories is that you get a bunch of rejections, sometimes starting immediately. Still hoping some day for another personal rejection but not expecting it either...I'm still stuck.

But Kay as I said learning and Practice works for most writers. If I recall correctly you have been to Dean Wesley Smith's blog. He almost guarantees that practice will get you somewhere. With his workshops etc he should know.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I noticed with practice (refering to LDWriters post) is you have to know how to practice. I know, I know, just sit down and and work on it. unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

You have to know where you want to go with it. You focus on one thing at a time, and don't be afraid to break it down into the smallest piece possible. Don't feel embarassed about it, that's how the great writers get to be so great. I know it works like a charm because not only do I do it for myself (with music and writing), but everyone else I've seen that does it ultimately gets better.

Most of all, get independant opinions on it.

PS: It's really easy to overlook this method and the moment you get frustrated or anything just simply back off, find something else to fix, or break it down further.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Well, the idea is to be continually learning as you are practicing, including workshops and writer groups- but Dean's not the only pro writer who says just practice.
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I know. I was just breaking it down really far.

Actually my private music teacher and all music teachers since taught me this, and I agree 100%.

Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, there's usually one "writing goal" I work on in each story or novel. The Nanowrimo I wrote in November was my attempt to write from multiple POVs (and have them be distinctive voices. Which is why it's still in a drawer and not making the rounds, because I don't think I succeeded. I need to send it to my first readers and ask THEM, though. I am generally far to able to see the flaws.)

I just hate the submissions process. I'm a far too lazy writer (keeping track of what's where ALONE is more work than I want to invest.) I'm starting to dribble drabble my stories up as ebooks online. (I'm a geek, so that kind of "work" isn't as bad to me as annoying clerical tracking that I'm terrible at because I lack a good attention to detail...) I'll make some money from them directly instead.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

KayTi, I use DuoTrope as my submission tracker. I know I should keep an independent file, but theirs does such a good job, I have a hard time convincing myself to do the extra work. It's free with sign-up, though I donate to help out as I use the service so regularly. I highly recommend it.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Then there are the editors who don't pull their punches.

"This is a 22-page story, and until page 10, it's just monotonous"

And Ideamancer said another story was sweet, but not enough character development for them.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I think this is for a different rejection thread: One for rough or bad rejections?

Anyway, I think when F&SF take a while longer then usual and its the same rejection should be included in the rough rejections. Not what they say but that they took so much longer then usual.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

If anyone is still reading this one:

I thought I would ask my question here instead of starting a new thread for one question.

Has Analog changed their rejection E-mail?

My latest includes a list of reasons for rejections. I wonder if anyone else got this or if I missed it somehow. My story was SF so that wasn't it, I didn't ask for the reasons behind the rejection, my story did solve the problem.

genevive42
Member # 8714

That's the rejection I got on April 19th. It's a carry over from their hard copy submissions. The story I sent was a long shot because while it was SF, there were very few nuts and bolts in it.

I have gotten simpler, 'non-guideline' rejections. I think the guidelines are Stan's way of saying it either 'really isn't very good', or 'it's too far away from what I'm looking for'. After that, you have to figure it out for yourself.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

That is what I was wondering. Come to think of it I think I used to get their guidelines back with a simple no thanks. On paper. I say I think because it's been a long time and I'm not sure if it was from them.

But I'm sure I have gotten just a simple no thanks via E-mail too, That's why I was wondering. And I have outside confirmation that it's one of my best stories- writing and story- these days. Which may not be saying much right now but still I thought it would get a slightly better reception.

WolfCreature
Member # 9486

- posted      Profile for WolfCreature   Email WolfCreature         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw the topic title here pop up and was attacked by the muse of Mad Magazine.
(with apologies to Simon and Garfunkel)

Hello rejection, my old friend,
I've come to talk with you again
Because a form letter that I received
Left me sulking and extremely peeved
But the brilliance that had spilled out of my brain,
Still remains
Within my magnum opus

In restless dreams I typed alone,
On a keyboard made of stone
'Neath the halo of a desk light,
I forced my fingers through a tenth re-write
When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a new insight,
That split the night
And touched my magnum opus

And in a stack of slush I saw,
Ten thousand stories, maybe more.
Stories telling without showing,
Stories slipping without streaming
Stories so damn bad, that no editor would dare,
Touch any there
Even my magnum opus

Fools, said I, you do not see,
The genius writer that is me
Read my words and you will surely know
Pay me for it 'cause I need the dough
But my plea, like a stream of water poured,
Was ignored,
Like my magnum opus

And the readers grabbed and shred
The insipid pulp they read
And while I waved both of my arms and cried
My long lost muse appeared right by my side
And my muse said the story you've written is a pile of steaming trite
Go back and write
A real magnum opus

- WolfCreature

Posts: 42 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice!
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.