Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Writing for a Shared universe?

Author Topic: Writing for a Shared universe?
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
Well? Has anybody here ever thought about it? Me personally I want to write for warhammer fantasy and warhammer 40k or maybe the DnD shared universes. (eberron, Forgotten realms, Gama World, and Dark Sun)
Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think Wizards of the Coast or Fantasy Flight Games accepted fiction submissions. Or do you mean writing adventures for them?

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

- posted      Profile for JohnColgrove   Email JohnColgrove         Edit/Delete Post 
they sure do. Game Workshop (warhammer, Warhammer 40k) has a publishing company called www.blacklibrary.com

Wizard's sub guidlines are worded terribly. They confirmed that they accept fiction subs when I emailed them.

[This message has been edited by JohnColgrove (edited May 04, 2011).]

Posts: 174 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there are at least half a dozen universes I would like to write in. That is why there is fanfic.com I think it is. But there are legality problems. Some writers frown big time on that but there are some who don't care and have so stated.

I was very blessed to write legally in one universe.

That is one reason I'm a bit envious of John Ringo, he has been able to write in a couple I want to write in.

But as mentioned already there are a few places that allow you to submit. I know the Doctor Who people have had two contests-one for sure- that were open to all writers. Seems like there was another contest but can't recall who...So keep your eye open and see what you can find. Ralan.com has a list of contests.

If you like to do that go for it even though realize that if you do write a story for a certain universe that is the only market you will be able to sell that story to. Unless you "file off the serial numbers". That is why some people advise against it and that those markets are usually harder to get into. But as I said if you want to, go for it.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

quote:
Wizard's sub guidlines are worded terribly. They confirmed that they accept fiction subs when I emailed them.

Nice to know I thought they just wanted adventures for their RPG books. So they accept queries for full-length novels? I'm more familiar with Forgotten Realms.

Anyway, I guess on the plus side of writing for a shared universe is that the whole world-building process is already done and all one has to do is jump straight in with some interesting characters. I've always enjoyed H.P. Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos but I'm not entirely sure if it's in the public domain.

[This message has been edited by redux (edited May 05, 2011).]

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm done with fan fiction. I want to write something I can actually get credit for.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get fanfic and have never really had the slightest impulse to write in someone's universe.

But if commissioned, maybe Stargate or Starwars.

A lot of the ones already mentioned I have no familiarity with other than the names.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
One problem with the shared-world stuff is that you can't sell it somewhere else---if it's got Kirk and Spock and all that in it, it can only go one place. You can rewrite...but why not rewrite it and make it original?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to write a fanfic, alternate ending for Star Wars Episode II and VI.

II: Duuko uses the force to pull down that big pipe assembly on the two fallen Jedi and then runs away, like in the original. But instead of wasting time catching the pipe, Yoda force shoves the jedi out of the way and stabs Duuko in the back as he runs away.

VI: While the Emperor tries to seduce Luke to the dark side, Vader remembers back to how the Emperor betrayed his last apprentice and that the way of Sith is trechery, so when Luke finally goes for his saber. Vader just stands back with a "What now dawg?" Look on his mask as Luke goes saladshooter on him.
At that point I have three possible endings: Luke and Vader high five and restore the republic. Or Vader compliments his son, but then Luke stabs Vader and becomes the new Emperor. Or Luke goes to hug his Vader but Vader cuts him down.

Good yeah?

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot the grisly ending for Jar Jar Binks that I waited through 3 terrible movies to not see.

Something like Jar Jar goes back into the Senate chamber to pick up the notes he forgot. He sees Yoda and the Emperor fighting and the Emperor picks up his senate disk to throw at Yoda. Yoda force-flings it aside to smash into a wall. Jar Jar comes out of that unhurt and runs out to get help, but trips and tumbles over a balcony, falling 300 storeys to his death, all the while screaming "meesa so clumseeeeee!"

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
How it should have ended - by NateJ. Mesa like.

I've never penned a word of fan or universe fic, but not for any reason other than time.

However, my stories are all co-mingled with each other. Characters in one will show up in another but with such loose threads it's doubtful anyone would catch on unless they read them back to back.

John Hughes was awesome at this.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
My only publication was a story based in Tracy and Laura Hickman's Bronze Canticles world. I've always wanted to write for DragonLance. I once came across a X-men/StarTrek crossover that I think would have been fun to write. (And I'm kicking myself for not buying it, just for the entertainment value of the cover.)

The trouble with writing in shared worlds is the copyright belongs to the company, not you. Tracy Hickman has had a bunch of novels on the NYT bestsellers list, and many that are still in print 15--20 years later, but he only gets the tiny royalties he was contracted for to begin with. He's started to epublish the stories he does own (which is a tiny fraction of what he has written) and there are a lot of people wishing his famous novels were included.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

quote:
I'd like to write a fanfic, alternate ending for Star Wars Episode II and VI.

I'd like to write a fanfic about an alternate universe where Lucas never makes the prequels and Highlander 2 doesn't exist.

Natej11
Member # 8547

Lucas and Spielberg are excellent examples of why people who have success early in their careers should not become arrogant jerks who think they can do no wrong. Especially when they then revisit their old work and trade out guns for walkie talkies to be PC.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnColgrove
Member # 9236

I find it kind of funny that wisards strongly discourages anyone from writing professionally in a shared world, especially theirs lol. After reading their guidlines I can see their point

On a more serious note. They say people intrested in writing should really develop their own world. I'm mixed at that.

At one end I can see their point. To me it's easier when I can just make everything up versus having to follow a set number of rules.

At the other end I strongly disagree. If said writer wants to write about Dragonlance (Which is suspended right now) and they've been reading that since it came out than don't discourage them. Besides, writing about a world developed by others is good practice.

For those of you saying it's fan fiction...it's not. Fan Fiction is your interpretation of a story thats already there (or combining two different universes). If you write for a shared universe prefessionally than you follow their guidlines.

BTW, Don't take that above paragraph to offense, I'm just making sure everyone knows the difference. I've ran into a lot of people who don't.

enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
@Nate, a worthy addition. I had blacked out his presence. But in all fairness if you take revenge of the Sith and allow yourself to only remember the highlights from I and II, then it's not quite terrible. Possibly even good.

[This message has been edited by enigmaticuser (edited May 06, 2011).]

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

On the subject of Dragonlance, the later books where you had the few superpowerful dragons eating all the other dragons and whatnot definitely read like fanfiction. To be honest I didn't look at that series too deeply, only read a few of the books.

I think the main boost of fanfiction is it gets people who enjoy a specific story into writing. Even if it's something that'll never get published they can practice plot, characterization, etc in a safe world that's already established.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I ran across one guy who worked on the Dragonlance stuff---in my Internet Fan Fiction days, of all places. A fellow fanfic writer at the time. He wasn't too proud to not write something that was copyright-infringing fun...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.