Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » The plot line is?

Author Topic: The plot line is?
Craig
Member # 7899

- posted      Profile for Craig   Email Craig         Edit/Delete Post 
If you knew next to nothing about writing yet a story was revealed to you in a very unusual way, what would you do? A:Brush it off like it never happened? B:Contemplate,why pick you and not someone already famous and skilled at writing? C:Reach out to others that can write but maybe don't have the story and try and form a symbiotic relaishonship?
What would you do?

Posts: 76 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JHam
Member # 9518

- posted      Profile for JHam           Edit/Delete Post 
I would think you would want help if you knew nothing about writing. Get someone that can tell the story with you. Otherwise you’re out there completely on your own struggling to figure it out. With help you can make sure that the whole story is sound and put together in a logical way.

Joe

Posts: 15 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep in mind that the ideas are the easy part. The writing is the work. So don't go into such a partnership with just an idea and think the writer will accept a 50/50 split.

Now if you offered to edit, that might be worth the split...

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Just write it. It's the only way to learn.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with MAP. Write it, just write as much of it as you can. While you write it though, pick up a couple of good books on writing or go to a workshop or something, and learn as you go. But the only way to really learn how to write is to do it.

Mel

Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Symbiotic relationships are good, but I think what you are talking about is a parasitic relationship. This is where you tell your idea to a writer and they write a story for you. Here's an example: say you want to build a brick wall and you say to someone, "go build a brick wall." They build the wall and you sign it.

Good collaboration is actually twice as much work as writing it, because you have to communicate with the other writer. You have to share your thoughts and ideas, and be vulnerable. And you might get your feelings hurt. Also you have to walk a gentle balance to make sure you are both A: doing the same amount of work and B: aware that both of you are doing the same amount of work.

The best way to learn how to write is to write. Sit down and do it. Don't worry about all the theory that gets tossed around and write the story that was revealed to you.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissa
Member # 9206

- posted      Profile for Lissa   Email Lissa         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with MAP!

Lis

Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMR Beste
Member # 9509

- posted      Profile for TMR Beste   Email TMR Beste         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like the Tim Lahaye, Jenkins partnership of "The Left Behind Series".
The situation seems to have worked well for them.
Since I am a task oriented person, I would do whatever would accomplish the task.

Posts: 29 | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Craig
Member # 7899

- posted      Profile for Craig   Email Craig         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for your input.
I have been writing it to the best of my ability,70k so far but I am also aware of my capabilities.
It would not be a parasitic relationship as Pyre alluded to, for I have no problems laying the bricks once I'm shown how and where to place them and once the wall was completed it would be signed by both.
Maybe one of you wouldn't mind reading a chapter or two
Well thanks again everyone for the help.

Posts: 76 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
No one is good in a day.

No one is good in a year.

Most likely no one is good in a decade.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.