Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Converting from MG to YA and names for father

Author Topic: Converting from MG to YA and names for father
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the process of converting my novel from a MG to a YA. What does that mean? I suppose it means my protagonist has to shift from a 14 year-old to a 16/17 year-old and I probably should look at a word count more in the 65k range instead of 40k range.

The whole reason I want to shift it is that the content of the story is more on the mature side. I guess it's somewhat in line with readers of The Ranger's Apprentice, but I would like to bring some more advanced themes into the story.

Question:
What would an adolescent on his way to independence call his father? The time period would be that of a typical fantasy (medieval era). His father is a key character, and their relationship is much like the father-son relationship on the show, Fringe.

Right now he is called "Papa," but I fear that is something only a child would call their father. "Dad" is what I hear adults call their fathers, but would that still be used in that era?

Any other comments are welcome.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrmeadors
Member # 6378

- posted      Profile for mrmeadors   Email mrmeadors         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I have read just "Father" being used by adults. It might be interesting, in that age group, to explore the transition a boy would go through, from calling his father "Papa" to "Father." Relationships change a bit in those adolescent years, and if it fits the context of your story, you could build a bit on that.
Posts: 223 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Father is nice and formal. Pa is shorthand (sounds like living on the prairie... Dad seems too contemporary.

You could also make up a word that fits with your setting. Da. Orr. (something short.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rob Roy 99
Member # 9538

- posted      Profile for Rob Roy 99           Edit/Delete Post 
What's the general dialogue voice like?

If it's something like "Hey Squirt, get your butt out of my saddle," then go with "Dad."

If it's closer to "Little brother, you did not ask permission to ride my charger," then go with "Father" or "Sir."

Every character should have a reasonably unique voice, but all of them should fit into the same social milieu. In older, more structured societies, fathers were not pals to their children, they were masters whose word was law.

Ard-choille,
Rob Roy

Posts: 11 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Kayti, your comments reflect my sentiments and struggles.

Papa sounds too juvenile; dad too contemporary; father too formal; pa too hillcountry. If their was a medieval version of dad, it would be perfect.

I want a term that is respectful, yet informal and in line with the medieval era.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Go other-languagey. Pere. Popi. I always like Oma and Opa, though they mean grandparents, I think...(not a language I speak.)

What about portugese or dutch words for Dad? (the informal versus Father.)

Of course you could just stick with Dad and assume it has an almost invisibleness to it the way "said" does. Used consistently and without remarking about it, it could easily slip into the background of the story and not stand out...

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I can only be guided by own experiences. My parents went from "Mommy" and "Daddy" till, oh, my late teens, and then they were "Mom" and "Dad," where the terminology remains to this day. (I'm fifty.)

One of my brothers took to calling our father by his first name, but only around us other kids and associated friends, not to his face---but did not do this with our mother.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
You could have the son call his father by his first name, or military ranking. Or even by his job title, like senator, or coach.

Does that make sense?

Something that separates from the family relationship, but is still respectful.

Good luck,
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want medieval and you don't mind formality he could call him his sire, sired by, etc.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

The father is an inventor of mostly mechanical gadgets and he is a traveling salesman. Basically a scientific guru like Leonardo Da Vinci, but with none of the prestige.

I'll do a search in other languages to see what "pops" up. I really want something more affectionate than sir/sire/father if there is anything.

what does Rand call his father at the beginning of Jordan's WOT book? Any other books come to mind?

Matt.Simpson01
Member # 8937

- posted      Profile for Matt.Simpson01   Email Matt.Simpson01         Edit/Delete Post 
in the WOT books, rand calls tam his father.

if the protagonist has a difficult relationship with him, you could refer to him as the seed. or to go more spiteful, use something like "spawn of whatever his name is" to describe him. go to thesaurus.com to get some help. I use that site quite a lot.

Posts: 53 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I always like Oma and Opa, though they mean grandparents, I think...(not a language I speak.)

Yes, that's what they mean; they're the informal version (Oma = Grandma, Opa = Grandpa).

quote:
What about portugese or dutch words for Dad? (the informal versus Father.)

You won't be wanting Dutch...father is 'vader'. (You see the problem.) Informal is equally unhelpful: papa.

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

I typed "dad" into google translator and half of the language translations resulted in "papa" or some near variant (even Chinese!). Perhaps I'll just stick with it for now unless a better term comes along. I wonder if other fantasy writers have the same dilemna.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.