Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did you write? 06-27-11

Author Topic: Did you write? 06-27-11
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you write? 06-27-11

The saying goes something like, "Another day, another dollar, A million days, a 100 dollars after expenses."
For here the saying is, "Another week, did you write?"

This note is a place to tell about what is going on in your life, and also tell about any writing activities you might have been involved in, or not.
The hope is that after posting about not writing a few times, one will see the note coming and open something, anything, just so you can give a positive report.

Word counts are desirable but can be meaningless. We all have zapped a section because it was not working. That right there can give you negative numbers.

What counts as writing can be anything. Poetry, articles, blogging, technical writing, world and character creation, Even E-mails can be writing if they pertain to writing or story and are wordy.
Editing is writing, even if it is the work of others. Critiquing is also writing. Of course any new writing is writing.

I am on schedule with my story ideas. I don't have time to post tonight's story idea, but I have 43 stories in my compost pile. I post these on many bulletin boards, but the main place I like to point to is
To see my story ideas you can go to http://www.xprodigy.net/board/index.php and scroll down to Writer's Roost
Or go directly to it at http://www.xprodigy.net/board/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=81d4208e740f487601581dfb56db65c0

This week, I worked Friday for the first time in nearly three years. We have a big, rush project we are trying to get out. The big problem is that I will get a ways along and the salesman will come back with changes and I have to go back to the beginning again. Luckily, I have it set up so the changes are easy.
I have also worked late the past several work days. That is drastically killed my writing times.

I am in an exciting scene in my story, but work has killed my writing time. I had a big blast of writing after I posted this note last week and my time disappeared quickly after that.
I had sent a concept to my writing partner and she sent back an alternate concept. I roughed out the scene and she said it was good, and offered some suggestions. I have not had the chance to work with her suggestions since. Even so, I added 700 words this week and could have tripled it if I had my normal writing time to work with.

"A good weekend is one where you return to work to recover from." 'I had a good weekend.'
I did a lot of manual labor this weekend. I hauled some fresh wood for my woodworking, hauled gravel for my mom's planters, took out my entire wood pile, picked out a few pieces that had gone bad, then put it all back again. I felt my labors. I am not one who does physical work much since I have a desk job.
My biggest surprise was that I had a lot of wood I forgot I had. there were several projects I had thought of and gave up on doing since I did not think I had the right materials to work with. While I will forget about it soon, at the moment, I know what I have to work with.
I am expecting more wood over the next month, then I will be stuck with what I have for a while. there is always that "I wish I had" syndrom when it comes to gathering supplies. Just a little more would have been a good idea...

As to the question of the week, I can honestly say,

YES I DID WRITE!

DID YOU WRITE?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed I did.

Finished two stories I started a few weeks ago. Both flash and both of the openings are on the F&F stories forum. Haven't had a story of any length there for ages.

Did a little writing in New Mage

haven't started revising "Storm Born" yet.

Ditto on Bright Lights.

Did a bit of writing on "Angel Kin"

Wrote on this forum, a couple of E-mails and of course crits. One I'm not done yet.

and of course blog wrote.

Wanted to do a letter to the editor today but still got to work on that one crit and Kin.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Congo rats on the physical labor! I can sympathize with the desk job. I sit on my bum at least 10 hours every day. Well, I mean in front of my computer. Then I go upstairs and watch TV or play with my iPhone. Fruit Ninja anyone? You'll never guess that my Gamecenter handle is Axeminister. (friend me!)

Yesterday I had a nice workout on my bench, then the neighborhood kids showed up and asked if I wanted to play some b-ball with them. I did. Today, ibuprofen is my friend.

I finished a novel this past week, but that already feels like a distant memory. Sad. I wish that high could last longer. However, I've been a critting fool since then, which has kept the energy flowing and I hope has been good stuff for those I've critted.

I'm going to say something obscure here so that I may point to it later and say "see?".
Yeah. That's all you're getting for now.

Now I'm back at the computer with a little free time while my wife has the baby (almost 2 yrs old now!) at her folks house. So, now that I'm done with some yard work of my own, I'm going to get my crit on.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang, you got me hooked on Fruit Ninja, axe. What do you think of the new pomegranate?

Anyway, gosh yes I wrote. I rewrote the ending to my current WotF story and have been doing a lot of editing. More tonight. Must make deadline.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did.

I finished revisions to my WotF story and sent it on its way. Then I started another round of revisions on BLOOD WILL TELL.

Also several crits and two blog posts.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Editing, editing, editing. I must soon get writing something new though, because this much self-criticism isn't doing my self-esteem any favours. Or maybe I should go do an MPC at critters next week so I can share the editing love.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't posted on this thread in a while. Still working on my novel -- only getting in 2-3k a week. So frustrating... wish I had more time.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Posted 2 chapters for my story this week instead of the usual 1. Almost to the end of the book and I just want to get it over with, although this week is going to be brutal since I have almost none of the next chapter written.

Trying to prod myself into getting back into submitting. I guess the next step is to start tracking down potential agents to query. Wish I knew how to even start doing something like that.

So that's a yes for this week. Yay.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Trying to prod myself into getting back into submitting. I guess the next step is to start tracking down potential agents to query. Wish I knew how to even start doing something like that.

Start with Agent Query and Preditors and Editors

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
First of I second Meredith, on Agentquery, and Predators and Editors, there is another I would add, Query Tracker . net, eliminate the spaces accordingly.

As far as writing. Yes, I did, the last two weeks have been hard travelling for work, but made it back Thursday night. A couple days to recharge the batteries and off to writing, well editing.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Managed to get something rolling...some notes on Saturday, then Monday and today five hundred words each...I don't anticipate more than a few more sessions before finishing.

Unfortunately...

It's lurid! The people in it are just disgusting! It takes its central conceit from some old SF stories from the seventies (with maybe a little Stephen King thrown in)! Ah, well...I'll just have to file-and-forget-it once it's off my consciousness, and move on to something else.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
I fell just short of 4K new words this past week, but I did manage to get some very beneficial editing done. My biggest accomplishment was to nail down (most of) the order of events for the first story in my new YA series.

This coming week will be weird. I'm dropping the YA for a short while, and concentrating on my next WotF entry; I've not entered in three straight quarters, and I do miss the unique challenge that contest brings.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the links Meredith and Tiergan. Spent a few minutes skimming them and so far they seem very informative.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
The WIP continues slowly - around 25k now (plus 1.5k on the second book of the triptych). Hope to crank up the pace soon.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KathiS
Member # 9542

- posted      Profile for KathiS   Email KathiS         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, write I did. Still slugging away at The Book, otherwise known as Between Darkness and Light, up to Chapter 5 in the re-write of the re-write.

Decided to stick with the other book as I have it. Urban fantasy as yet un-named and up to Chapter 6 on the first draft.

Did a few crits as well.

Seat of pants, meet seat of chair...

kls

Posts: 65 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.