Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Unnecessary character sacrifices

Author Topic: Unnecessary character sacrifices
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just watching a show where they had this happen, and I wanted to know if anyone else is sick of how prevalent this is becoming.

You know what I'm talking about. The writers want to put some poignancy into a moment so they kill off a character. Like in the rescue attempt where everyone gets away clean, for some reason one of the characters says "you go on ahead while I slow them down for half a second, which will really be an affective use of my life."

Or one of the characters takes a superficial wound that barely slows them down, and rather than splitting off from the group and trying to get away, or following behind them at the best pace he can, he stops out in the open and pulls out his sword and charges in screaming.

It just feels contrived and unrealistic to me. I could see someone getting shot in the back in an escape and suffering a mortal wound, forcing them to leave him behind, which would be just as dramatic and much more likely. Or even some character actually finding an effective way to sacrifice his life for the good of the group.

But it seems like a majority of the character deaths you see are these stupid, meaningless sacrifices that serve no point, leaving you wondering why anyone in that situation would have actually done that. It's as if writers can't allow their character's death to be meaningless, and since most deaths are random and meaningless they try to put some meaning into it, which only makes it worse.

It's something I've tried to avoid in my own writing, but what's everyone's opinion on this?

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think when this happens on TV series it's often the actor's contract demands that are being sacrificed as an example to the rest of the cast.

As far as whether it's OK in a story, it's just a plot device. Like all plot devices, it's up to the author to do the spadework to prepare us to accept it without seeing through it. It's the writer's job to manipulate our emotions, and when it's well done we don't perceive his machinations.

What you're complaining about is the clumsy hand of the lazy writer who presumes too much on your credulity.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EVOC
Member # 9381

- posted      Profile for EVOC   Email EVOC         Edit/Delete Post 
I see this a lot. It drives me up the wall.

I agree it has more to do with a character needing to be removed from the show then it does with the show needing to be without the character.

Of course, the could do it in a better way. But its much easier to assume we are just stupid TV watchers who have no concept of good story telling. A visual world I guess.

Posts: 725 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I think Nate is referring more to movies, eh Nate?

It's like this.

Data gets punched in the face by his mechanical glove.
Then, when he's near the waterfall and the Fratellis are coming, he says "Go on without me, guys. I'll stay here and hold them off."
Then Data proceeds to get shot to pieces by the Fratellis who are barely slowed down at all by his noble but completely unnecessary sacrifice.

That would have made a very different movie now, wouldn't it?

We need look no further than Terminator 2 for an example of how this is done right. That scene at the end was intense.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
The first good example of killing someone off that came to me was George Kirk in Star Trek. No way would he have saved his fellow crew members any other way. There was no other choice.

Off course this happened at the beginning of the movie instead of the end. LOL

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

In the movies this isn't new even though it could be increasing. It does seem like its the in thing to do at the moment.

But there is a WWII movie made in 70s I think where that happened twice. The first time it really was needed sacrifice. Three Americans and one native woman fleeing the Japanese. One solider is badly wounded. He really couldn't go on so he stays behind and throws a couple of grenades at the Japanese chasing them, maybe slowing them down. But the woman gives up her life for no reason later. They could have escaped without that sacrifice but as it turns out the other two Americans are spotted anyway so she dies for no reason. I decided I didn't like that movie because of that scene.

I can see how it would look added on and unnecessary in some of today's stuff. Whether it be movie or book. It some cases it seems to have become part of the formula .

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
H.G.Galt
Member # 9573

- posted      Profile for H.G.Galt   Email H.G.Galt         Edit/Delete Post 
I watched that movie "Sanctum" this weekend and they killed off about 3 characters in this way, and then the rest of the characters were like, "okay move along." It was strange and pretty unnecessary.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched the Stargate Atlantis episode where they kill off a pretty important character. Considering how the team escapes certain death in every episode, scenes where a person is killed in an almost ritualistic manner are just downright stupid.

Another example I can think of is the self-sacrifice scene of the old robot in Transfomers 2. It may've appeared a noble gesture but to me it was simply stupid. Why is self-sacrifice so cherished in Western culture? If the most able members of any group get themselves killed, they impoverish that community in the long run. The able people should be allowed to carry their genes onward, not squandering them in foolish acts like that.

That's why I love Song of Ice and Fire. Characters are people and they get killed just like any other person. At least it's usually their own fault.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited July 25, 2011).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
In real life, people are killed for no good reason. In fiction, we readers expect better of the writer than to kill off a character for no good reason.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
The first scene that came to mind was the end of Titanic. =) Come'on, just get on the raft!

But it seems what the writing mechanics is missing is the will to survive. All of the scenese criticized seem to be about a character who could live, but just essentially throws in the towel in exchange for some nobility which apparently doesn't mean anything so their life = cheap.

Killing a character in a random "life sucks" way is something entirely different reflecting the world they live in rather than their own "quitterness".

Characters can die random, heroes need to have some meaning. It doesn't have to be the specific way they die, but it needs to follow as a result of heroic action otherwise, why am I reading/watching a story about a loser who quits?

Good example that might come to mind is Pirates 2...don't hate me.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what y'all's griping about isn't so much the needless [barring contract conflicts] sacrifice of a character, as the break in internal logic and/or clumsy presentation. Does it make sense for Joe to stay behind and try to fight a delaying action, or is it just Stupid On Demand? Is the fact that everyone else gets caught anyway simply a good example of how things really are (sometimes you can make the right sacrifices and STILL lose), or does it make any effort at survival seem like a waste?

I hate twisted-ankle moments because they're always used the wrong way.

Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

It seems like actor contracts create a lot of problems above and beyond just the need to randomly kill off characters. It also keeps all the characters alive all the time even when some should really be dying. Not only that, but the writers seem to view it as an insurmountable barrier that they don't even try to overcome, which leads to a lot of the cheesiness.

The Wire is a great example of a show that doesn't operate under those constraints. Not only does it have a huge, rich cast but they're not afraid to kill off characters when those characters need to die. You never know if someone's going to make it out of a situation alive or not, and the death is always not only a surprise but completely believable.

I realize most shows don't have the kind of funding The Wire did, but it would be nice to see them at least try to reach that standard.

Edit: And Reziac I think "twisted ankle moments" is the perfect way to describe these types of character sacrifices. As soon as someone falls down and cries out in pain I immediately think "Well, I give them less than five minutes." Apparently in TV land people who twist their ankles need to stay behind and kill themselves.

[This message has been edited by Natej11 (edited July 25, 2011).]

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
"Apparently in TV land people who twist their ankles need to stay behind and kill themselves."

I'd like to repeat this for emphasis.
And hilarity.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
What was it they said about Star Trek? If you saw a guy in a red shirt where one of the regulars usually was, you knew he was going to die by the end of the scene...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
What about all the characters who don't stay dead?

I stopped watching HEROES because that just kept happening.

And now Kate Beckett appears to be dead in CASTLE (and a couple of seasons before that, they thought Seeley Booth was dead in BONES).

Please!

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Martin and Robert

People do die heroically in real life too. I think it was in Joplin a husband protected his wife but got pulled away. And I know of one incident where a guy took a few bullets while blocking his wife and another where he distracted a shark from his wife. In war soldiers really do jump in the grenade. It does something for the human psychic.

It's the fact that someone would be willing to give themselves to save someone else. It's the ultimate love and friendship. It's almost mystic and maybe a touch of a fairy tale come to life. And I don't think it's just Western culture, Jesus mentioned that idea to a Middle eastern culture. And it wasn't a strange idea.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited July 25, 2011).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

And I think a couple people were right about it being done right or clumsy. It irritates more when it's done as an add on or formulaically. And I think in that case it doesn't matter if it's TV or written word.
MartinV
Member # 5512

LDWriter2, for self sacrifice to work, it should be used far less often than it is. I'm annoyed with the fact it is used in circumstances that simply do not work. It can work only if the person doing it puts the survival of others above his/her own. Since Western culture strives for individualism in everyone, you see why the common use of self-sacrifice doesn't seem right to me.

In the past, people were indeed raised to think of themselves only as part of the tribe. Today, things are different. Not everyone wishes to lay down their lives just so others could go about their normal day.

Speaking of the twisted ankle excuse, it can make sense in the right circumstances. Considering group dedication and the fact the group is usually being pursued, it makes perfect sense for the injured person to think "I'm slowing everyone down. If they catch us, I'm dead anyway. If I stay behind, nothing changes for me but it might give others a chance."

This is calm, rational thinking of a person being hauled along with an enemy close behind, including the pain of the injury. A decision such as this requires tremendous strength of character and the courage to carry it through. Not everyone in this world (and in this time) possesses such character. Hence my argument it should not be used as often as it is.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

- posted      Profile for enigmaticuser   Email enigmaticuser         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking of if one of these writers got a hold of Lord of the Rings for day. "Well, Mr. Frodo...the ringwraiths are out there and there's nine of them and you being stabbed and infected and all...it just don't seem right for us to be dragging you along. As my ol' Gaffer use to say you 'whats falls behind gets left behind." Samwise, promptly snags the ring of power and they leave Frodo at Weathertop.

Posts: 336 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

That reminds me of some scenes in The Bridge On the River Kwai. On the way to the bridge through the jungles of Burma, one of the three characters, the guy in charge (Jack Hawkins), is shot and the others take him along. He demands to be left behind, and says he'd've left one of them behind if they were injured. A second character is a relative innocent and doesn't believe that, but the third character (William Holden) says something along the lines of "He doesn't, but I do," and procedes to berate the first character for his lack of humanity.
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
What was it they said about Star Trek? If you saw a guy in a red shirt where one of the regulars usually was, you knew he was going to die by the end of the scene...

If he didn't have a surname. (For those that watch Galaxyquest)

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjeanne
Member # 9534

- posted      Profile for sjeanne   Email sjeanne         Edit/Delete Post 
My pet peeve example of unnecessary sacrifice is Jean Grey in XMen 2 - I'm supposed to believe that she can psychically control everyone in the ship (Nightcrawler, even Professor X!) but can't manage to lift the ship up with herself inside it? Yeah, whatever.

I'm very fond of a good self-sacrifice (wait, that phrasing doesn't seem quite right...), but it needs to MEAN something, contribute significantly to the good of the group, etc. Or at the very least, be sufficiently justified - the raft really *can't* hold them both, or everything else has been tried first, etc. Otherwise, yeah, it's just irritating.

Posts: 29 | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
There was almost one of those scenes in the New Avengers cartoon, but they fixed it.

Basically there was a bomb that would end the world and so this one guy grabbed it to fly it out to space. But they had Thor right there. If anyone is going to fly the bomb out to space it is going to be the immortal! Just as I had that thought Thor charged after him and took it.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

As to Star Trek... those were called Red Shirts. Kinda obvious.

And I would agree about if the sacrifice was really necessary and meant something then it isn't so bad even when the hero or other character who has been there the whole time dies.

sjeanne did she die? I don't know if she was in the next one but they made it out like she became something else which someone said happened in the comics.

Kathleen as to someone coming back from the dead. In that case I wouldn't mind him dying so much. Like Spock in the Star Trek movies. They did that type of thing a couple of times in Voyager. Of course in one ep they ship was duplicated at the beginning and by the times the ep was done two characters on one ship were dead but were replace by characters on the other.

Loved this quote by Capt Janeway. Can't recall the exact words but when one of the two survivors said he felt weird She said This Starfleet we do weird all the time.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited July 26, 2011).]

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Less about characters, but...some of you might recall, in early SF, how they'd get into battles where they flung worlds around, inhabited worlds, and in destroying them killed billions, and it meant nothing to any of the survivors? Not that it's died out...in Independence Day, I think it was about three-fourths of humanity was dead by the end of it...
MartinV
Member # 5512

In Transformers movies, people die in hundreds.

And then people say Tarantino's movies are full of killing. At least there the killing is personal.

YNRedef
Member # 9390

- posted      Profile for YNRedef   Email YNRedef         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading these post, I'm wondering if I'm doing the same... But at the end, it's necessary.
Someone (I don't recall who) mentioned that Pirates of the Carribean 2 had an unnecessary death at the end. It was so necessary! It kind of completed the trilogy. I understand where you're coming from though.
And I very much agree that deaths or "leave behinds" can come across as stupid; however, they do give a certain feeling that wouldn't be possible otherwise.

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My pet peeve example of unnecessary sacrifice is Jean Grey in XMen 2 - I'm supposed to believe that she can psychically control everyone in the ship (Nightcrawler, even Professor X!) but can't manage to lift the ship up with herself inside it? Yeah, whatever.

Now that's something that could have been fixed with just one line of dialogue: "I can't lift anything if I'm in it." It's a perfectly legitimate limitation on her telekinetic power.

The best place to put that line would have been in an earlier scene, when the plane spins out of control and then ends up suspended just before hitting the ground (thanks to Magneto). Storm asks Jean if she's doing it, and Jean says, "Not me," or something to that effect. That's a perfect place to explain the limitation on her power before it really matters.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Another "unnecessary" character sacrifice, maybe...I read once, when Herman Melville was writing Moby-Dick, he wound up with a character he didn't know what to do with...and he was also contractually in a hurry...so, one fine chapter, he washed the guy overboard. (I think I read Moby-Dick in school, but I don't remember anything about it that isn't common knowledge---except maybe the above.)
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert brings up an interesting wrinkle in this problem: sometimes what seems realistic is contrived, and vice versa.

If you've ever read Richard Henry Dana's autobiographical *Two Years Before the Mast* the "contrived" event Robert mentions actually happened on Dana's voyage. One of his fellow sailors was swept off deck returning to the forecastle from the galley. If you wrote that in fiction, some readers would assume you did that to demonstrate that the voyage was dangerous. And they'd be right. In fiction, *everything* is contrived. It takes artifice to hide that.

The flip side is that the same suspicious readers who would see the man washed overboard as contrived would also ask, "if they voyage is supposedly so dangerous, how come nobody ever dies?" So you pretty much *have* to have somebody washed overboard, but you've got to make it believable somehow.

So ... how would you handle a situation like that?

By the way *Two Years Before the Mast* is highly recommended reading.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

I would have to disagree about calling that a character sacrifice though, Robert. The sailor didn't heroically decide to be washed overboard so that the rest of the crew could live. The death was pointless and something that could actually happen, which makes it just about the opposite of the examples I'm complaining about where characters just randomly decide to die when there was no reason for it.

Although it does bring up its own points about when an author should kill off a character, and how, and why . But that's such a broad topic we could be discussing it ad infinitum.

enigmaticuser
Member # 9398

@YNREDEF, I should have been more clear, I was saying that Jack Sparrow's death at the end of Pirates 2 was an example of a necessary sacrifice.

My hypothesis was that the irritation is the "unnecessarity" of it. The character just suddenly becomes a wuss who won't fight to stay alive, letting some "twisted ankle" defeat him. Jack Sparrow was willing to leave, but was betrayed into staying behind to save others while at the same time realizing it was necessary. But even as it was necessary he was trying to get free and ultimately goes down swinging.

Another good example is Tears of the Sun where one of the Seals(?) gets hit in the shoulder and goes down, but they patch him back up and he appologizes for getting caught "sleeping" and says he'll do better just get him back in it.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Well, I guess I didn't read Moby-Dick in school, or at least not that far into it to know what was going on...
YNRedef
Member # 9390

- posted      Profile for YNRedef   Email YNRedef         Edit/Delete Post 
@enigmaticuser

CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow. haha

Posts: 25 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

That's another theme I abhor: bringing characters back to life. First they sacrifice the character, then if by some small chance they managed to evoke sympathy, they insult the reader by nulling that emotion.
Crane
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Crane   Email Crane         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone mentioned Song of Fire and Ice. A lot of readers felt sucker punched when Ned is killed (he sacrifices himself for a noble reason, but it turns out that he was tricked and his death serves no good purpose). Ned is such a lovable character that readers didn't want to see him die at all, much less for no good reason. The strange thing, that I wouldn't have predicted is: although readers felt betrayed they seem to like that they were betrayed. The series is so popular, I would argue, in part, because the author is untrustworthy. You never know what favorite character he's going to do for next, which isn't like most fantasy works. I keep telling myself, "he's not going to kill Arya or Brienne," or whoever; but part of me thinks he might, so I'm on edge while I'm reading. Maybe people want to be put out of their comfort zones. I think as long as the author gives the reader space to grieve (not just rushing to the next scene like nothing happened) he can get away with more without making us roll our eyes and loose interest.

That case aside, I do see your point about lame deaths. Tasha Yar's death is an example of lame.

[This message has been edited by Crane (edited August 02, 2011).]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.